Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-09, 10:30 PM   #26
agambill
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i was slingin bugs way before i figured out what a bait caster was.. i still do go out and sling a few bugs now and again for trout.-speckled sea trout-i do get in practice by catching some brim during the summer dull-drums..

zooker
There aint nothing like a big spec or red on a 7wt, like being tied up to a schoolbus.
agambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-09, 10:44 PM   #27
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

true but runt hammerheads are unreal on a 8wt rod...

zooker
Old 10-09-09, 01:39 AM   #28
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey Tom, missed your post for a few weeks, just saw it....

Thanks for posting those pics, brought back good memories. Had one great day one winter, a warm 68 degree type day where I could have named the number of browns I caught right there at the bridge. One trick I did was I took a small hook and threaded a bass assasin, cut that down a wee bit and cast on fly gear - a little heavy, but the browns inhaled it. I've done a little fly tying before, but only with smallmouth success, no trout.

Been about 4 years at least since I've been to that spot, but its a sure thing for next season. I miss north alabama and southern tennessee. Miss the smallies, trout, the diversity of the opportunities, g'ville - its such a wonderful area to be a sportsman in. Perhaps sometimes we can go fishing up there. Tight lines.

Here are a couple more pics from what looks like a spring trip...

Last edited by WTL; 10-09-09 at 01:47 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 09:31 AM   #29
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I think I enjoy fly fishing for the simplicity of the gear and the work ethic behind every cast. I just got back from one of my greatest fishing adventures and it took me 3 days of rest before the soreness in my shoulders went away. Of course this was 14 hours a day of fly fishing and landing an average of 20 fish a day with an average weight of 15lbs for a week straight. I broke 2 Loomis rods in half on this trip and cracked an Cabelas LST from the butt to the tip...this was fly fishing like I have never seen

I have done a lot of fly fishing in the past, but these hawgs were all caught on a 9' 10wt. Sage with a Nautilus CCF reel...if there's anyone who has been curious about Nautilus reels, I have to give them 2 big thumbs up..the best consistent drag I have ever seen, great line pickup and light!

Here's some pics:

Old 10-09-09, 10:02 AM   #30
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Dang Jason that's awesome. What a trip. I bet you won't hunger for awhile.
Old 10-09-09, 10:31 AM   #31
AUFred

Those are awesome fish. That would be so much fun but I can imagine the soreness too.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 01:01 PM   #32
TnTom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Hey Tom, missed your post for a few weeks, just saw it....

Thanks for posting those pics, brought back good memories. Had one great day one winter, a warm 68 degree type day where I could have named the number of browns I caught right there at the bridge. One trick I did was I took a small hook and threaded a bass assasin, cut that down a wee bit and cast on fly gear - a little heavy, but the browns inhaled it. I've done a little fly tying before, but only with smallmouth success, no trout.

Been about 4 years at least since I've been to that spot, but its a sure thing for next season. I miss north alabama and southern tennessee. Miss the smallies, trout, the diversity of the opportunities, g'ville - its such a wonderful area to be a sportsman in. Perhaps sometimes we can go fishing up there. Tight lines.

Here are a couple more pics from what looks like a spring trip...

There are a couple other spots downstream that are really great also and not far down the road is the Duck river below Normandy that is good to and has lots of smallies. When your going to be in the neighborhood give me a holler and I'll show you where. Also when your passing through Lynchburg park in the Jack Daniels Distillery visator parking lot and wade upstream. You'll be a number of miles downstream from the dam and its good. Great pics.
Old 10-12-09, 09:05 PM   #33
Abbeysdad

Back in the day of my youth, I did some fly fishing, Caught me some of the biggest tree fish you ever saw! Eventually I got better, but the catch results were less than I had with spinning gear and live bait fishing.
Old 10-13-09, 12:07 PM   #34
TnTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Back in the day of my youth, I did some fly fishing, Caught me some of the biggest tree fish you ever saw! Eventually I got better, but the catch results were less than I had with spinning gear and live bait fishing.
No one would argue that.
I really believe that trout streams should have designated fly fishing only sections.
Old 10-13-09, 12:50 PM   #35
Abbeysdad

and what makes a stream a 'trout stream'... all of the streams 'n rivers in these parts have a bit of everything in them - I even hear the one river has a lot of pike in it!
Old 10-13-09, 09:43 PM   #36
TnTom

Maybe a stream that has only wild trout, no stockers regardless of other tyoes of fish? I dont know

Maybe a stream that might get stocked regularly with big Trout for the purpose of harvesting with a fly rod

Streams eventually seem to be referred to as trout streams when they are primarily fished for trout even with other species in the water. Nothing to technical

The upper Delaware River in Pa and NY great Smallies and fantastic Trout but I never heard it called a trout stream.

The "Trout" streams I fished in northern New Jersey were looked at as just that by the trout fishing communities and the fly only zones were great.

The areas that were fished with spinning gear fished out fast. No challenge and very liittle C/R. Never fish out the Delaware regardless the Natural Gas damage will take of that.

If you dabble with a fly rod for Trout there's not much excitment or catching happening. When the individual skills advance things change and it gets to be a little more fun cause its always more fun when when you hook up regularly.
Old 10-17-09, 09:42 PM   #37
bigjim5589
BassFishin.Com Member

This is my first post here. AUFred, I joined when I saw your post.

First, I'm not arguing with your post, but some fly flingers who fish for bass, like myself, consider it real bass fishing too!

I fish with all types of tackle, and yes fly fishing tackle too. Most of the fly fishing I do is for LMB, SMB or Striped Bass, as well as some panfish. Rarely do I get to fish for trout.

Biggest bass I ever caught on a fly was a little over 4 lbs. Biggest bass I ever caught on other tackle was a little over 4 lbs too, but there's not a lot of really big bass in the waters I fish anyway. I once caught a Crappie on a fly that was 18 inches long on a bass bug, and have caught many Stripers over 30 inches on flies. It's very real to me!

Fly fishing for bass has taught me a lot that helps me with fishing for them with other tackle too!

I tie flies too, & have been doing so for the past 43 years!
bigjim5589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:31 AM   #38
AUFred

Considering buying a new Flyfishing rig in 7 weight for bassfishing.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 04:20 PM   #39
BassinID

Wow, how did I miss this thread? I am as avid of a flyfisherman as I am a bass fisherman. I live in a great state for it too though.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 01:08 PM   #40
BeaverIslander

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, BassinID. I practically grew up wading on the Mississippi River and it's tribs fishing smallies, walleye, crappie, channel cats, and pike. I tie my own flies, too. Mainly bass bugs, Clousers, Darters, and Wooly Sculpins. I would only take the fly rod about 1/3 of the time when I had the fish pretty much pinpointed though, because standard tackle works so much better for scouting and covering water.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.