Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-11, 09:14 PM   #1
jspier1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Quantum Smoke or Kistler Magnesium

Which would you rather? Looking for a carolina/jig setup.
jspier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:34 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Dobyns, Powell, or Shimano.

BB
Old 03-14-11, 10:21 PM   #3
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Dobyns, Powell, or Shimano.

BB
Wow , that didnt really answer your question did it .. I own alot of Kistler rods , but I prefer the Argons , which I suppose arent made any more. I would look for one on Ebay though. Great rod. I also bought some of the Quantum Superlite PT rods last year when they went on sale also , again , great rod. I would still opt for the Kistler Argon.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:02 PM   #4
Bender

I played with the Smoke rods at the Classic and they are really nice. They are basically a replacement for the Superlites which have quite a good following.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:06 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Wow , that didnt really answer your question did it .. I own alot of Kistler rods , but I prefer the Argons , which I suppose arent made any more. I would look for one on Ebay though. Great rod. I also bought some of the Quantum Superlite PT rods last year when they went on sale also , again , great rod. I would still opt for the Kistler Argon.
I've never used a quantum rod, but don't care for the feel in the stores. There are a lot of other rods I'd take over the smoke in that price range. I've also never used a Kistler, but I would never buy one because Trey Kistler is an idiot and a horrible businessman IMO. I wouldn't buy anything he put his name on.

I've used both Dobyns and Shimano rods and they are both great rods. Powell, I've never used, but wouldn't hesitate to buy one at all. So I guess my answer to the original question would be neither.

BB
Old 03-14-11, 11:47 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
but I would never buy one because Trey Kistler is an idiot and a horrible businessman IMO
I can't argue that issue. But I will say Kistler rods, made before last year, are fantastic rods, the mental status of the namesake of the rods not withstanding. I don't own any rods after the 2009 vintage, nor would I consider one, but I have 18 in the rod locker and wouldn't part with any of them. They've been the only brand I've used the last 8 years - and I've experienced NONE of the common complaints heard about Kistler rods. The Z-bone is way overpriced, IMO, although I would like to try a rod built one those NFC blanks that Kistler uses on the Z-bone. The Argon rod was possibly the best rod produced in '09 and only lasted one year and that was a shame. They can be had for less than half of their original price and if you can find one to suit your needs, they are the absolute BEST value for your dollar. Selection is dwindling and when they are gone, well the secondary market is depressed right now, but they may go up in value once you can't buy them anymore.
Unfortunately I cannot offer an opinion on the Magnesium (which was the original question) as I've never used one. My nephew, however, has 3 and LOVES them and he's pretty picky when it comes to his tackle.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 08:28 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I can't argue that issue. But I will say Kistler rods, made before last year, are fantastic rods, the mental status of the namesake of the rods not withstanding. I don't own any rods after the 2009 vintage, nor would I consider one, but I have 18 in the rod locker and wouldn't part with any of them. They've been the only brand I've used the last 8 years - and I've experienced NONE of the common complaints heard about Kistler rods. The Z-bone is way overpriced, IMO, although I would like to try a rod built one those NFC blanks that Kistler uses on the Z-bone. The Argon rod was possibly the best rod produced in '09 and only lasted one year and that was a shame. They can be had for less than half of their original price and if you can find one to suit your needs, they are the absolute BEST value for your dollar. Selection is dwindling and when they are gone, well the secondary market is depressed right now, but they may go up in value once you can't buy them anymore.
Unfortunately I cannot offer an opinion on the Magnesium (which was the original question) as I've never used one. My nephew, however, has 3 and LOVES them and he's pretty picky when it comes to his tackle.
I was curious as to what you thought of Trey. Glad you agree!

The thing that turned me off to the Mg before I knew that much about Trey Kistler was the TT review of the micro guide version that stated the regular version balanced at 11.5"!!! while the micro guide version only shaved half an inch off that to balance at 11"! That's nuts, especially when they're balancing rods better in the $100 price range now. I've found balance is just like higher end gear. You don't know what you're missing until you try it, and once you do, it's tough to go back.

BB
Old 03-15-11, 08:36 AM   #8
lilmule

Kistler frog,jig.I am not to keen on micro guides
Never ever owned an arogon,yet still kistler hands down,prior my jig rod was a browning.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 09:24 AM   #9
rrw4258

I played with the new Smoke rods at BPS... the shorter (6'6") rods were very nice and balanced really well. The 7' and 7'4" rods were not well balanced with a reel on the rod though. I am a big fan of Quantum Rods, and own quite a few of the Superlites, but I was not impressed with the Smoke Rods.

Ryan
Old 03-15-11, 10:56 PM   #10
bassinbob

When I die I hope it's one of my Kistlers you try to pry from my hands. I have a couple of LTA's ,a couple of Mags and one Argon. Haven't used the Argon yet but the Mags are a very good rod. You won't be disappointed. Now if you're a sissy and absolutly need a balanced rod..... I sometimes throw a horny toad almost all day with a LTA and it's not balanced. I'm 58 years old and balancing never bothered me and it never will.
Old 03-15-11, 11:53 PM   #11
bassboogieman

I'm not one that thinks balance is as critical as is the overall weight of the combo. Depending upon which reel you mount on the rod, the balance point will change. You could put a baitcaster that would range between 7 and 10 ounces on the rod and the balance point would be affected accordingly. My personal preference would NOT be to put a 10 oz reel on the rod to balance it near the front of the reel seat, I'd much prefer to mount a 7 oz reel on the rod and have it a tad tip heavy.

Lengths of rods also affect balance point as longer rods are much more difficult to balance at the front of the reel seat than a shorter rod. To me trying to balance the rod with a reel you don't like is not as preferable as having a reel you like matched with the rod. Similiarly a reel that may perfectly balance a 6'6" M will not duplicate the balance of a rod that is 7'6" H.

For someone like me that prefers one brand and one model as is practical, matched with the same reel, again as is practical, the attempt to balance every rod would be problematic, because to do so would require me to add weight to the rod - usually in the butt (AND I HATE ANYTHING IN THE BUTT ). Adding any weight to a rod in order to balance it, is contrary to what is important to me - the overall reduction in the weight of a combo.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 10:57 AM   #12
BigBassin144

There are definitely two schools of thought on this issue. Those who would rather have a lighter combo, and those who would rather have a balanced one.

Personally, I like a balanced combo, one of the reasons I like the brand of rod I do. Balanced rods feel lighter than they are, and can increase sensitivity. The sensitivity of the actual rod does not increase, but because you don't have to hold the rod and reel as tight in your hand, you can detect more vibrations. It's not often you find a production rod that is 7'8" H and balances out well with a 7.6oz reel.

But it's personal preference whether you prefer a 4.5-5oz rod that balances out well or a 3oz rod that's tip heavy.

BB
Old 03-16-11, 09:14 PM   #13
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

I have a Kistler magnesium and a Powell Max but the waters here are still mostly frozen so I have no idea how either feels outside of my basement.

I will say that for as light as they are, neither feels especially balanced (tip heavy) which is somewhat disappointing. I've heard the Powell endurance has a better balance though.

For cranking I use a Shimano Crucial and I absolutely love it! It's great for cranks, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and jigs. Highly recommended...

I'll post again after the thaw.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-11, 10:26 AM   #14
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Rod brands aside (even though I don't think you can beat a Falcon ), I think that a balanced rod is way overrated unless we are talking to the extreme tip or butt heavy.

I have tried on several occasions to make my flippin rod balanced (quite tip heavy) by using weights in the rear. I could not stand having it completely balanced...just felt weird.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.