Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-07, 10:17 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Deep Sea in NC

Last week I went out of Oregon Inlet in Gal-o-mine on a charter. It is a 48'. Seas were rough at 8' + several or - some. I was sure hoping for some tuna but no such luck.
Several of the guys got sick; luckily not me. After a three hour ride out we stopped a long way south and more than 50 miles off shore. Didn't get anything trolling so we went "what we call up here" hand lining. Except this was in 300 to 400' FOW. We caught some sea bass but mostly Tile fish. Later we trolled some more and got one Amber Jack.
I would like to go back later in the year or next spring to get some bill fish, but not a bad trip since we had plenty to eat and the other boats came back empty handed.
I thought our bass reels were $$$, until I was afraid to see the sticker on those Penn 80s. Also it was strange to me that they didn't have a line guides on them, you have to use your hand to guide the line.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 10:47 PM   #2
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

damn 8' seas? now thats rough. If your going to get a high-end reel, get one with a line guide, using your hand takes your mind off the fish and can be horrible.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 06:52 PM   #3
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Yeah, that sounds like a both pointless and useless idea to leave guides off the rod, I'm actually baffled on how you'd fight a big fish in?? I wouldnt pay money for it.
Old 08-28-07, 11:41 PM   #4
Bender

There are guides on the rod, just not on the reels. You have to move the ine back and forth when reeling it in so it doesn't bunch up on the sides.

Why is that? Also the mono is so thick it is almost like rubber.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:06 PM   #5
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Mono for deep sea fishing? Terrible idea. Talk about a stretch factor. with that being said, I dont understand the whole no line guide issue either... some things people come up with.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.