Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-07, 08:04 PM   #1
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Snook Report 9/3/07 Tomoka River

First off I apologize if a snook report upsets anyone, I realize this is a bass fishing site.

Now for the report, WOW WHAT A DAY
Let's just say that this was one of my personal top 2 days fishing anywhere. My plan was to take JB's advice and fish for both snook and bass today. I was gonna fish in the am for snook, and then in the afternoon head upriver for some bass fishing. I launched at 6:30am, and it was slow fishing for the most part. I got a couple of snook, and lost a nice one by 11:30am. I knew the tide was gonna get me, and it did for the first half of the day I was heading upriver, and caught another couple snook, so far the biggest was 20". I knew a place that has produced some decent snook before, so I was trying to time it so I could hit the incoming tide, at this spot, and then head farther upriver for bassing. Well for once I timed it right, and I had the right bait, with the right presentation. 10 minutes after hitting this spot(let's just call it snook runway) I hooked into a absolute monster snook. This was the snook of a lifetime, it was probaly 48" long. I know because I fought it to the boat 4 times before it made runs with screeming reels. I kept trying to get it in postion to net it, but then it would run off. I fought this fish for close to 10 minutes. Every little thing was going through my head, I just retied, so we shouldn't have a breakoff, unless it decided to take me to the barnacles I had my drag set great, and the hooks were solidly set, both trebbles in the fish's mouth, which I did get to see. On the final attempt to get the fish close enough to net, it jumped right in front of me and snapped my line, and took off with my lure. I rarely get po'd, but I did this time, and screamed, and slammed my rod into the water. This fish had jumped numerous times, once right when I was trying to net it for the thrid time, it went under the boat, jumped up and smacked it's head against the boat on the opposite side. It was just plain anguish, and I felt like a virgin, on his wedding night, with his newlywed wife get's drunk and passed out. I grabbed a identicla lure(always buy three of any lure LOL), and tied it on and cast back to where I had hooked into this monster. On the third cast, I hooked into another decent snook, probaly 24". It jumped immediately, and broke me off again In five minutes, I had lost 2 of my three of these lures, with both being newly retied. Now believe me I know how to tie a palomar knot, and how to slobber on it, etc... Well I grabbed the third and last of these identical baits, and moved over some and began casting. On the second cast, bam another nice snook on. I landed this one with the net it was 25". I then proceeded to catch 10 more snook, between 20"-26" in the next 30 minutes. I was on it, I had all the mojo working, now, except I wanted one in the slot 28"-32" I casted again, and smacked my bait into some concrete, and litterally drove the trebble into the bait, and cracked it Yes I was casting hard, to get some good distance, and never would I have believed I could have done this. Well it was the ultimate highs, with the super low's on this day Well I did have some more of those baits, just not in that color. I am the tackle junkie remember So I tied another one on, and started fishing again. I hit 8 more snook, and boated all of then, the bigger ones were 25", 26", and 26.5", the littlest one was 18" I still didn't have my slot, but was just having a absolute blast, and had almost forgotten about all the bad stuff. The bite died, and I decided to work this area for another 30 minutes. After about 15 minutes I had another hit, and boy if felt good. After a decent fight I boated my slot at 29.5", which is also my new PB I was just ecstatic, and decided to make one more pass for the heck of it, just for fun, since my limit was filled. I hooked into another fish, and this fiah ran me around 2 pilings zigzagging around. I was weaving in and out of these pilings, and got stuck do to shallow water. I thought for sure it was gonna break me off, but somehow I managed to get the boat free, around all the pilings and still put the snook in the boat. It was 26" also. I've never caught so many hard fighting fish in one day. This was also my new PB for quantity of snook in a day 24. I would put this day up with my day of catching 2 10+lb bass in one day Needless to say I decided at this point to call it the day, and make the 30 minute boat ride back to the launch. If I would have had someone with me to net the fish I would have gotten the monster, but I did still catch a ton of nice fish. When getting my boat tied Up I got bit by some stinking ants. They weren't fire ant's but they still burned. I must say I shoulda moved to Florida many years ago, this is just a absolute fishman's dream coming down here, and catching the fish I have since being here, less than 2 years

Lizards
Old 09-03-07, 08:21 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Lizards, 2 questions, first what line were you using? Second what was that infamous lure? The suspending mirror lure?

Anyways congrats on an awesome day! Florida is deffinitely a fishermans dream, all year long. Too bad no one was with you, if you lived about 2 and a half to 3 hours maybe a bit more west, you'd never be lacking a fishing partner, and one that would tough out the elements, ahah.
Old 09-03-07, 08:24 PM   #3
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Lizards, 2 questions, first what line were you using? Second what was that infamous lure? The suspending mirror lure?

Anyways congrats on an awesome day! Florida is deffinitely a fishermans dream, all year long. Too bad no one was with you, if you lived about 2 and a half to 3 hours maybe a bit more west, you'd never be lacking a fishing partner, and one that would tough out the elements, ahah.
1. 50lb Powerpro.
2. Yes it was a suspending Mirror Lure.

Lizards
Old 09-03-07, 08:25 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Damn, they were breaking off 50lb powerpro? Were these break-offs just from the fish, or was there some barnacle/pilling help to slice it?
Old 09-04-07, 12:03 AM   #5
JRL
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule View Post
First off I apologize if a snook report upsets anyone, I realize this is a bass fishing site.
I was actually expecting one!!! Just wasnt sure from who. Thats quite a day!

My two so far were an inch short and an inch over.
Old 09-04-07, 06:32 PM   #6
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Wow what a day! We dont have a snook season, but I sure do wish we had as many as yall do Good job!
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 07:08 PM   #7
JB

lizards that snook was carrying a blade I tell Ya! who needs bass when you have a banner day like that!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-07, 09:13 PM   #8
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher02 View Post
Damn, they were breaking off 50lb powerpro? Were these break-offs just from the fish, or was there some barnacle/pilling help to slice it?
Yes, and yes. The only downside to Braid for me anyways, is it will tear up easily on sharp objects. Of course there are sharp objects all over saltwater. I check my line reguilarly, but when a fish jumps and thrashes, it can snap it. Also there could have been a spot on the line that had rubbed up against something, like a Piling, or oyster whater that I missed. I have had several fish break me off since I've been saltwater fishing. However I also hooked a lot of fish that my buddy never seems to, and he used to use mono exclusively, but decided to switch to braid for some applications. Now he went fishing with Bassintom, and comes back with 12lb Yozuri Hybrid. I guess he'll just have to miss some more fish, and lose a lot before he switches back

BTW, I also found out that it was Fire Ants that ate up my ankle. Those SOB's are just as worthless as Gar, and Mudfish

Lizards
Old 09-04-07, 09:32 PM   #9
bassfisher02

Yeah I've gotten a few cut offs while saltwater fishing, mostly from Bluefish and Sharks... the powerpro can pretty much handle the trout and other little toothy fishes that I catch. I dont do much structure fishing, more flats. when the tide is right we hit up the few oyster bars for reds, but havent had a cut off there. I have to retie A LOT every saltwater trip.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.