Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-11, 08:21 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Too Hot to Grill...

But I did anyways, for about four and a half hours.

4 Racks of Baby Back ribs rubbed up and ready for the grill. They are seasoned with Urban Accents's Mesa Rosa Chipotle seasoning. This spice was new to me, but sounded great for ribs.

The ribs get put on the grill in the middle with the outside left burner on low and the smoker box (on the right) in our grill on high filled with Apple and Hickory wood. The ribs went on at 2:00-ish. Temp was held around 300-325 by adjusting the left burner from low to med-low.

At 2:30, they were mopped with a 60/40 mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Canola Oil in a spray bottle.

3:00 - Smoker box was replenished with more wood chips and the ribs are mopped (brushed on) with another new to me product: Stubb's Moppin' Sauce in the BBQ Baste flavor.

3:30 - The ribs were mopped with the vinegar-oil mixture and were moved around (since one rack is always closest to the left burner on that side and one is always closest to the smoker box on the other and we've got to get them equally smoked).

4:00 - Ribs were mopped with vinegar-oil and more wood chips were added. Four ears of corn were put into ice water to soak (pull husks back, remove the stringy cornsilk, and fold husks backs over corn)
4:30 - Ribs were mopped with vinegar-oil and moved around.

5:00 - Mopped with vinegar-oil and more wood chips.

5:30 - Mopped with the remaining Stubb's Moppin' Sauce and moved around.

6:00 - Last bit of wood chips are added to the smoker box and the ribs are mopped with the vinegar-oil mixture one last time. The corn is placed on the grill.

6:10-ish - Ribs are flipped over so the bones are facing up and the burners under them are turned on low. Corn is being turned a little at a time every few minutes.

6:15-ish - Ribs are flipped back to meat side up and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce is added. They are left over low heat for the sauce to thicken while the corn is still being turned every few minutes.

6:30 - Ribs are done and taken off to sit a few minutes. Corn should be done in about 5 minutes or so. (should take about 30-35 minutes to cook on med or med-low heat).

Approximately 7:15 - Plates full of bones are removed from the table, hands and mouths are washed, and glasses of ice tea are refilled.

I forgot to mention, throughout this process, pictures of the ribs must be texted to friends to make them hungry. If this step is not followed, the ribs will spontaneously combust and you'll be left with ashes and bones.

On a side note, I really liked both the Mesa Rosa Chipotle seasoning and the Stubb's BBQ Baste Moppin' Sauce. They made a good combination. All it needed was Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce, but they were still great, tender and smoky!

BB
Old 07-17-11, 08:39 PM   #2
bamabassman

looks awesum anthony. i smoked a pork loin yesterday for the first time. used god ol hickory per request of lisa's mom. everyone loved it. no rub wither, jsut salt and pepper this time. gonna make some bbq sammiches with the leftovers. no pics from me this time, sorry.

lisa tried to grill some corn too, how do YOU do it. what temp setting and all. jsut so i can try it someday.
Old 07-17-11, 10:08 PM   #3
keithdog

I gotta tell ya, when I saw your pix message I just about started droolin like my lab in a butcher shop. That is one fine looking meal my friend!
Old 07-17-11, 10:11 PM   #4
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

anothy that looks almost too good to eat . waiting for my care package lol. john when i do corn on the grill i remove the silk and then tie the husk back on, soak in in cold water for hour or so, but it on grill in indirect heat. for about 30 min. or till they dry out. grill temp is 300 degrees. a couple of min before i take them off i but them over the coals to burn the husk a little. i also peel them and set them on the grill for about 5 min also do them withindirect heat..

Last edited by nobass; 07-17-11 at 10:16 PM.
nobass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-11, 10:30 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks guys.

John, this was really my first time grilling corn. Like Don said, I peeled the husks back about 2/3 of the way and removed the silk. I just kind of closed the husks up; never thought of tying them, I'll have to try that. Soak in cold or ice water for 1-1.5 hours. Before you throw them on the grill, open em up and sprinkle some salt and pepper and maybe a little butter if you want to. Wrap them back in the husks and grill for about half an hour. Mine were over direct heat (med-low to med flame). Grill thermometer said about 325.

BB
Old 07-17-11, 11:08 PM   #6
Bassboss

Those are some awesome looking rip right there biggins! Can't say I woulda used sprayed them with vinigar and such, cause I like a sweeter BBQ then vinegary one. The whole meal sounds great aside from the obviously unsweeted tea!
Old 07-17-11, 11:12 PM   #7
Stew
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A man after my own heart.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-11, 12:24 AM   #8
bamabassman

thanks anthony and don. i'll try that next time we grill some corn.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.