Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-09, 12:11 AM   #1
gizzardshad
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Worm Rod?

Having some serious trouble deciding on a new rod for texas rigging this year..

I want to stay around $100 bucks cause I'm saving another $100 for the reel.

That puts me in the ballpark of the Quantum Energy PT rods, St Croix Mojo, Kistler Carbon Matrix...and the like.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Im worried about the St Croix and Kistler not having fuji guides. I've heard horror stories of the cheaper guides popping out and things like that.
gizzardshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 01:46 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm a big fan of Falcon rods, but a 6-6 or 7' medium heavy or heavy action will work just fine.
Old 02-07-09, 02:50 PM   #3
The Doc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you have a gander mountain near you, the Kistler magnesium rods are on sale. My buddy picked up a C-Rig and a Topwater rod for $75 each. Pretty good price for a Magnesium.
Old 02-07-09, 04:08 PM   #4
BassBandit

shad, I have a couple of Energy PT rods, they're nice. Also got some Pro Qualifier XPS rods from BPS. These rods retail at 139.99 & they're on sale for 99.99. Great rods.
Old 02-07-09, 11:06 PM   #5
rangerryan

im a bionic blade fan and i know you can get them for under a 100.00 and id go with a 6'6" mh. i promise youll lovem.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:32 PM   #6
fishin' fool

Quantum rods are good. But seriously take a look at shimano's crucial!! Extremely light, IM 9, split trip handle, rod blank in the handle, 129.00. Very nice rods! Good fishin'
fishin' fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 09:51 PM   #7
abu4600

I suggest the bionic blade or extreme. Both are real good rods.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 10:09 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Kistler- I don't know whose guides they use, but I've used (and built) rods with pacific bay guide, and they hold up fine. The only real difference in Fuji's Concept guide system. But mos companies have their own system like it. Overall, I've heard nothing bad of Kistler rods, but I've never fished with one.

Falcon- I've fished with one for a VERY short time, about 15 minutes, but It was nice. They lowrider guide sytem is similar to Fuji's Concept system. Again, I've hardly ever heard anytihng bad about Falcon.

Shimano- Shimano makes a very good rod. Your budget will put you in the range of the Compre. They are light and pretty well balanced. they do have Fuji guides, but most good rods will have good guides regardless of brand. And Fuji does make cheaper guides ya know.

BPS rods- Love hate relationship here for me. I've got two. They are nice rods for the price, and pretty sensitive. And that's about where the pros stop IMO. They rods are quite heavy. And the Power Hump Grip... Again, you'll love it or hate it. I personally don't like it. I know they've fized this problem this year, but last years model didn't have hook holders. I find the BPS rods not to be balances very well either. (they have the weight kit to balance it, but I ain't addin' more weight to the heaviest rod I own). By the way, both of mine are better rods (Pro Qualifier and Johnny Morris Signature), so it's not like I bought cheap ones.

Daiwa- Daiwa also makes a good rod. I've not yet fished with any, but talking to people who have, they seem to be good. The problem with Daiwa is, they don't have much in the mid price range. And most are expensive, same with their reels (which are awesome).

G. Loomis- Oh wait, only $100... Nevermind. But if you ever wan to spend $250+, get a Loomis.

BB
Old 02-08-09, 10:28 PM   #9
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

abu4600I suggest the bionic blade or extreme. Both are real good rods.

I second that motion
Old 02-09-09, 01:53 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

the falcon original fc5-17 is an amazing worm rod, anyways i love mine. it's 7' mh but will not wear you out, and since it's a 7'er it will take up a lot of line on hooksets. plus it should run you under $100.
Old 02-09-09, 12:33 PM   #11
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

the bionic blade heavy action is what i just ordered for the same thing you are doing...my brother in law used one all last year and loves it...the heavy action has a fast tip and great feel and the backbone behind it is amazing....it was pulling 7 lb. bass with 8 lbs. worth of weeds right out..I know you may not use it for that but it shows how strong it is...
Old 02-09-09, 08:56 PM   #12
LubbockFisher
BassFishin.Com Member

I was using an all star rod for my t-riging. Bought me a Falcon p844 7' Medium/Fast form Gander and it is now my worm rod. Awesome rod for about $80. You can fling 1/16 weighted worm as far as you want it.
LubbockFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-09, 10:46 PM   #13
bamabassman

go ahead and get yourself a fenwick rod. i was at the state park (guntersville) this past weekend, and each and every pro out there used fenwick rods. i am gonna try em out when i can upgrade mine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.