Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-10, 01:12 AM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Some Observations from a cranky old man.

First of all, no, I am not the cranky old guy.

There is a guy who I have run into several times at one of my local lakes. He is usually fishing in a float tube and works the points closest to the launch. He and I have spoken a few times at the lake and the local tackle shops but had never fished together until this week.
With the water down, his normal points were not producing. I offered him a back seat and he accepted.
Now Chris is a retired USMC SgtMaj. He retired from the Corps in 77 and recently retired from the state as well. He has no family and this crusty SOB is likely short on friends as well. It was almost funny how he acted as though he was doing me a favor by riding in my boat.
The first thing that caught my eye was that he brought two rods and no tackle box nor bag. In one shirt pocket he carried a spook and in the other a pack of worms all the same color. He had one pack of hooks and a few weights as well.
I asked him if he needed any baits, and he just chuckled and said, "Why the F&^* would I use anything except what I know works?"
A great question and I had no answer for it.

Throughout the day, from spot to spot, He continued to pull up fish. I picked up a few here and there, but he was consistent at every spot. At one point he hooked into a real good fish. After a few minutes of fighting it, he reached over and pulled up a 5 lbs beauty. He proceeded to unhook it the same way you would a dink and unceremoniously toss it right back in as I was asking if he wanted a picture. He laughed for the only time that day. "A picture doesn't make a fish any bigger or smaller"

I asked him about the biggest bass he had ever caught. He simply shrugged and held his hands out to his side to show a length. "That's the problem with you damn kids, you are too worried about size". He then went on to explain to me how he has never weighed a fish. He couldn't understand why I would have a scale in the boat. I chuckled and said it is for when I break the world record. He sorta cocked his head and then said "Son, I sure hope you never do break it." I asked why not and his explanation was simple. "If you are so caught up in catching the biggest one, then there is nothing left to fish for once you do."
He then proceeded to hook into a small fish. He adjusted his drag to play it for a minute before landing and releasing it. Pretty much the same way he ahd done every fish on the day no matter what the size.

Now I am not saying that Chris is right nor wrong, but it sure had me thinking when the day was done.
Old 08-23-10, 06:58 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Very cool story. Sounds like you were fishing with Crankshaft from the comis, lol. We could all learn a thing or two from that guy though. Wow, imagine cutting my tackle needs down to just two rods and a pocket full of lures. How sweet would that be!!!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 11:30 AM   #3
Abbeysdad

Great story and kinda makes you wonder about the fate that put him in yer boat and if he was a messenger sent to you...???
Old 08-23-10, 01:31 PM   #4
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Great fishin' story - makes you think...
Old 08-23-10, 01:52 PM   #5
Cavs1123

Some really good points!
Old 08-23-10, 03:30 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

It makes me think.....If he's got fishing down to such a simple philosophy.....Then why so cranky?
Old 08-23-10, 05:32 PM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Reminds me of my grandfather. He never carried but one rod. It was usually rigged with a purple creme worm or a Creek Chub Darter. He outfished everyone in the family. Great story.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 05:48 PM   #8
bamabassman

i like what waffle wrote, hahahaha!!! he DOES have a point, but look..we all want to catch the biggest, but i for one.........like catching the dinks as well. but as for his manners............ HIT THE WATER SARG!! no time for smart a$$e$ in my rig. AND I AIN'T YOUR SON.
Old 08-23-10, 07:12 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
i like what waffle wrote, hahahaha!!! he DOES have a point, but look..we all want to catch the biggest, but i for one.........like catching the dinks as well. but as for his manners............ HIT THE WATER SARG!! no time for smart a$$e$ in my rig. AND I AIN'T YOUR SON.
haha, I really like this Bama!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 07:25 PM   #10
XIntel007

Ahh the wisdom of a crusty SgtMaj.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-10, 07:33 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett

The Sarge has a few lost creative cells missing in his DNA. But if I had a choice who would have my 6 in a fire fight it would be him.

Leave it to the military to reduce fishing down to his simple logic.

Capt Mike
Old 08-24-10, 09:56 AM   #12
Bassboss

Good story Cass glad I read it!
Old 08-24-10, 03:28 PM   #13
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats sort of how I prefer to fish... keep it basic, keep it fun, and don't worry about the tiny details. I still keep a scale and occasionally a camera handy but I am in it for fun. If I was more serious then sure I would jump into tournaments, go into debt buying a boat and all sorts of gear, but I am just not like that. The most expensive piece of fishing equipment I own is a $90 Pflueger spinning rod/reel set and a $100 canoe. Maybe $50 worth of lures total.

Everyone has their own opinion of whats fun, and for you it may be weighing every big fish, being meticulous about rods and reels and lures... but thats just who and what you are.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 03:31 PM   #14
66KingFisher

That was a great story.......Gotta love the wisdom of cranky old guys.
Old 08-24-10, 04:49 PM   #15
coyute
BassFishin.Com Member

I enjoyed the story. Thanks for sharing.
coyute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-10, 08:29 PM   #16
XIntel007

A Gunny got me into fishing down in Beaufort, SC. He had a nice little boat with a 90 hp merc on it. He told me, "all a man needs is a boat and a 90hp merc." Fast forward two years and he is pulling a nice Triton with a 150 on it. I gave him a little hell about his previous statement which earned me a "Shut the f... up SERGEANT!" and a few more colorful words. About 4 years ago I was chatting with him and he mentioned he had a Nitro for sale with a 200 on the back. The other day I spoke to him and now he has a Ranger and way more horses than should be allowed. His warning to me, "Don't get hooked or the monkey will get you too." Too late.
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10, 08:10 PM   #17
lilmule

Next time bum a worm,since his are working and enjoy the day spent well with company to share it with.Yeah im an onry ol cuss as well.But not fishless,generally as carry a few worms and an ol spook as well.
Nice story,and he does have a point we sometimes in the pursuit of forget its the pursuit of, that is what we are doing,I generally carry a camera and shoot local wildlife not something everyone can relate to..
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.