Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 12-30-10, 08:59 PM   #1
tarpon120
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tackle Warehouse

I've got a bad itch in my pocket plus a gift card from there. They have a couple rods on sale I'm looking at, Kisler Micro Magnesiun 6'8" and the Powell 6'8" casting rod. Anyway I seem to remember you guys talking about a year end sale. So should I wait or go ahead.

Wait a minute I'm asking the wrong crowd. I really just need the answer about the sale, if my pocket does't catch on fire first.

Thanks in advance.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 09:56 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

BUY!BUY!BUY!!! (my monkey is talkiing to you pal.)
Old 12-31-10, 12:13 AM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tarpon, I am waiting for a sale too. I will wait till they have another 20% off sale. I want a American Rodsmiths Denny Brauer Wreckin Stix with the golf grip. With my hands getting worse I think the grip will be better for me. Having trouble holding on to cork.
I think either rod you choose will do fine. Everyone is liking those micro guides.
Old 12-31-10, 12:24 AM   #4
Jrob78

I think that is the year end sale.

And yes, you should definitely buy one of each!!
Old 12-31-10, 10:53 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I too think this is the year end sale...

bob, I think they only do 20% for black friday.

Tarpon, I'd definitely take the Powell over the Kistler. When kistler discontinues this model Mg and changes it for next year, your's will be worth hardly anything should you want to resell it. Also, they'll probably come down in price drastically once they new ones come out. Very bad business on Trey Kistler's part.

BB
Old 12-31-10, 02:21 PM   #6
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I too think this is the year end sale...

bob, I think they only do 20% for black friday.

Tarpon, I'd definitely take the Powell over the Kistler. When kistler discontinues this model Mg and changes it for next year, your's will be worth hardly anything should you want to resell it. Also, they'll probably come down in price drastically once they new ones come out. Very bad business on Trey Kistler's part.

BB
BB I understand what you are saying, but which is a better quality rod and is the Powell lighter than the Kistler?
Old 12-31-10, 02:59 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I can't tell you which is lighter, but I'd say Powell is probably better quality. I'd still take the Powell because I'm not a fan of how Trey Kistler does business. And it's much more than just completely changing everything every year.

BB
Old 12-31-10, 03:20 PM   #8
Jrob78

The Kistler that's on sale is a fast action rod while the Powell is a moderate fact action crankbait rod. (the exfast rods are sold out) The Kistler also uses Fuji aluminum oxide micro guides while the Powell uses Fuji alconite standard size guides. The alconite's are a step up from the alum. oxide, both are completely adequate for bass fishing, even with braid.

If you need a 6'8" cranking rod the Powell is a steal for $99. I have a 702C and absolutely love it. They are very well made rods, reasonably light and sensitive. I know a lot of people love Kistler's, I personally have never owned one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one though, especially a micro guide version. I don't think you can make a wrong decision here.
Old 12-31-10, 04:06 PM   #9
tarpon120

I went with the Powell EF683C, When I logged in this morning the Kistler was sold out. I was leaning to the Kistler originally, mainly for the micro guides but I wanted to try the Powell. Any way the decision was made for me and I ordered the Powell. I see now that they are sold out as well. It will be here next week and I will let you know what I think once I have used it a few times. Thanks for all the input, now back to my remodeling project.
Old 12-31-10, 04:08 PM   #10
Jrob78

Cool! I think you will be very pleased with the Powell. I think they are underrated, they are really nice rods and not crazy expensive, plus the selection is great.

Last edited by Jrob78; 12-31-10 at 04:20 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-10, 04:11 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Tarpon, I think you'll really like the Powell rods. I've heard they're very similar to Dobyns Rods (since Gary Dobyns helped design them), and I love my Dobyns. I really wanted to order a Powell Sq Bill CB rod, but knew I shouldn't. Glad they're sold out now too so I don't have to worry about it!

BB
Old 01-01-11, 04:32 PM   #12
bcklash

I just ordered the Powell 684cb--Thanks alot BB and Jrob
Old 01-01-11, 04:38 PM   #13
Jrob78

Very cool, let us know how you like it!
Old 01-02-11, 11:44 AM   #14
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I think that is the year end sale.

And yes, you should definitely buy one of each!!
Dangit J, I thought the "is" was a link to a sale or something.
Old 01-07-11, 07:16 PM   #15
tarpon120

OK got my Powell the other day, all guides line up and seem to be correct as far as balance per the blank. First impressions remind me of my loomis and fenwick (acv I think). Lots of backbone with very flexible tip. Will test it out tomorrow and let u know. Sorry guys I live in the south and by the way WAR DAMN EAGLE
Old 01-08-11, 11:07 AM   #16
bamabassman

hahaha tarpon on the bird thing. i am rooting for them to win it ya know. gotta keep the trophy in the state and the SEC. now..............as for testing out the new set up. you hopefully went today and not gonna try it out in the storm that's coming.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.