Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-21-05, 04:33 PM   #1
ploop...BOOM
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ploop...BOOM
Default Behavioral changes

Good afternoon all,
Reading some of the posts about what to throw, where to go, etc., I got to wondering about overall bass behavior with awkward weather. Here in the northeast we had a rather poor summer - lots of rain, followed by a very mild winter (so far - pending snow storm tomorrow). In years past, guys would be ice fishing for over a month now - currently, most lakes only have areas of thin ice over them. Knowing bass relate mostly to water temps, how is this going to affect the overall behavior of bass or the overall conditions of the water? Will there be a change, or will it all depend on the spring's weather conditions? What about the "turnover" of the lake? Will vegitation be affected? Will the "normal" growth of the bass be affected by this abnormal weather condition?
I hope I'm not being too vague with this......overall, will the past 6 months of weather - going from warmer/wetter than normal summer to warmer/dryer weather than normal in winter?
I don't even understand what I'm asking, hopefully someone will pick up on it.
Thanks,
Bob
ploop...BOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 07:41 PM   #2
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Re: Behavioral changes

as far as i know as long as there is water in the lake during a dry summer even if the lake is pulled down 10 or so feet. it won't make much differance in the bass where you catch them it does. the turn over is depicted by water temp.also known as thermocline.as for growth i am not sure but i think they grow about the same in a given area.regaurdless of weather.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 07:55 PM   #3
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Behavioral changes

[quote author=pafisherman link=board=MessBoards;num=1106336024;start=0#0 date=01/21/05 at 14:33:44]Good afternoon all,
Reading some of the posts about what to throw, where to go, etc., I got to wondering about overall bass behavior with awkward weather. Here in the northeast we had a rather poor summer - lots of rain, followed by a very mild winter (so far - pending snow storm tomorrow). In years past, guys would be ice fishing for over a month now - currently, most lakes only have areas of thin ice over them. Knowing bass relate mostly to water temps, how is this going to affect the overall behavior of bass or the overall conditions of the water? Will there be a change, or will it all depend on the spring's weather conditions? What about the "turnover" of the lake? Will vegitation be affected? Will the "normal" growth of the bass be affected by this abnormal weather condition?
I hope I'm not being too vague with this......overall, will the past 6 months of weather - going from warmer/wetter than normal summer to warmer/dryer weather than normal in winter?
I don't even understand what I'm asking, hopefully someone will pick up on it.
Thanks,
Bob[/quote]

Great question, unfortunately just like the weather man, I don't think anyone knows for sure. I will say that we had one of the weirdest years ever here in Indiana this past year. Spring floods consistantly, and very mild temps in the summer, it never hit 90 degrees here. The vegetation in all of the places I fished was very sparse compared to previous years. The fishing in the spring was phenomenal, but the summer it slowed somewhat with the fall being horrible period. We had a mild winter before, so perhaps you will get the same that we got last year. I personally feel it is more related to the spring weather than anything in the fall or winter. I will also say that I'm convinced one of the possible many reasons the vegetation was down so much. Was because of the rains, taking all the pesticides into the water. We have an awful lot of corn and bean fields in Inidana and they have to runoff somewhere.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.