Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-09, 08:38 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default ? on older Shimano reel

Some time ago I wanted to start bass fishing and purchased a Bantam Mag Plus 250SG. Got frustrated with backlashes and didn't take up bass fishing until about 6 years ago. My question is does anyone have any info on this reel? Such as gear ratio, drag, bearings, line capacity, etc. Also does anyone have or know where I can get a cap for the tension knob? thanks
Old 01-23-09, 09:09 PM   #2
cassidyta

Gear ratio on the Mag plus was 4.7:1 Drag was 14lbs, but does diminish over time on these models. They actually had a bushing system instead of bearings. Not sure on the line capacity though. I have the 100 SG and it holds right at 140 of 12lbs.

As far as the cap, I can't be a whole lot of help on that. If you check e-bay you might find parts for them. I picked up a complete reel for parts for under $25.

BTW. I have a Revo and a Johhny Morris, but the Bantam is still my favorate to throw. It won't outcast or out pull the other's but it is a lot of fun.
Old 01-24-09, 03:26 AM   #3
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Gear ratio on the Mag plus was 4.7:1 Drag was 14lbs, but does diminish over time on these models. They actually had a bushing system instead of bearings. Not sure on the line capacity though. I have the 100 SG and it holds right at 140 of 12lbs.

As far as the cap, I can't be a whole lot of help on that. If you check e-bay you might find parts for them. I picked up a complete reel for parts for under $25.

BTW. I have a Revo and a Johhny Morris, but the Bantam is still my favorate to throw. It won't outcast or out pull the other's but it is a lot of fun.
You know you an exchange those bushings out for bearings ?Some times they are brass and other times they are plastic bushings but normally you can exchange them for a bearing providing you measure the bushing correctly and find the proper size bearing. P N J

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTG...FQMQswodVjlsnw
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-09, 03:46 AM   #4
pig n jig

Bob does that reel have a free spool switch ? and also does it have a v spool, the spool shape would be a rounded V shaped,not square like your average spools are ? I am looking for a cap,I didn't have one but I am asking people who might have one.I am thinking a Lews reel spool tension cap might also fit it. If I remember correctly, the mag plus was for a dial magnetic system and the the left spool side had a external hub that worked with the magnetic dial selector. Ivan
Old 01-24-09, 04:22 AM   #5
cassidyta

It does have the dial system PnJ and a v-spool. At least mine does. I believe all the of them were made with that spool.
I swapped mine out for a bearing a year ago but didn't like how the reel reacted afterwards. In mine, it had the brass bushing.
Old 01-24-09, 06:21 AM   #6
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
It does have the dial system PnJ and a v-spool. At least mine does. I believe all the of them were made with that spool.
I swapped mine out for a bearing a year ago but didn't like how the reel reacted afterwards. In mine, it had the brass bushing.
Thank you for the info.I think its advantageous if you install bearings on both sides supporting the spool shaft.Of course this is going to change your reels performance and it would act different than it was originally.I would not put a premium grade bearing in it as its brake system wasn't designed for high performance rpms.A standard stainless steel bearing would be my choice and they are very affordable compared to your high performance bearings.Sometimes adding a copper or brass shim for the end of the spool shaft to ride on in the spool tension knob helps you acheive a more desirable cast control. P N J
Old 01-24-09, 02:41 PM   #7
bassinbob

png yes to the switch and mag control. As for the spool, not sure as reel is full of line. cassidyta gave gear ratio. Thanks for looking for cap. Not sure as to changing bushings for bearings as I've never taken apart a reel. Do you think this reel could handle deep diving cranks?
Old 01-24-09, 03:11 PM   #8
pig n jig

Bob,Yes it would.Bob they made them in 5:1 gear ratios as well.The thing to do is place a piece of tape on the spool and count how many turns the mark completes per one complete turn of the handle.
Old 01-24-09, 08:26 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

I have had at least 7 of these in various models. The small palm size was perfect for my girls when we fished together growing up. I sold all of them for 50 bucks at a flea market.

The cap is hard to find and they did not handle big fish very well.

But I liked them.. and they did too.

Capt Mike
Old 01-25-09, 01:31 AM   #10
bassinbob

pig and jig, I did the tape test and it wasn't quite 5 times the tape revolved. I have a pretty good rod and reel repair shop close by so I'll try them for the cap. Will also check to see if they will do bearing install. Otherwise I am going to try it on deep cranks. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.