Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-09, 09:01 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Maybe a Pink Hoodie?

A guy on a local forum caught this fish. His scale read 10lb 13oz, but no one on the forum seems to think so. And we all know scales can give a bad reading occasionally or even not be set up good. I personally don't think it looks like a 10lb fish, but it is still a VERY nice fish for around here.

Most of the guys on the forum said 7-8lb, and I think that is a bit more accurate. What do you guys think about the weight?

BB
Old 10-14-09, 09:14 AM   #2
nofearengineer

That fish is SEVEN pounds, not an ounce more. It's not even belly heavy. He needs to buy a new scale, or take his other hand off of it while he's weighing it.
Old 10-14-09, 09:16 AM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I did not realize I caught a 10 pounder a few weeks ago! <sarcasm> Looks no bigger than the pics I put up under "can I get an estimation"

AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 04:55 PM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The scale is probably gave an incorrect measurement. This is not to insult the fish or the angler. I'm just stating from the looks of the picture, even given its length, it just doesn't seem that its girth is where it needs to be to make it 10lbs.

JMHO. It is still an awesome fish. 7 lbs or just over 7 is my amateur guess.

Fish Calculator, basing it on a length of 23"

If girth is:

14" (the spread of my hand from bottom of palm to the tip of my middle finger) = 7.26 lbs

16" = 8.3 lbs

18" = 9.34 lbs

20" = 10.37 lbs

It would need a 20" girth to crack 10 lbs. Did they measure its girth?
Old 10-14-09, 04:59 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

No they didn't and I doubt it's anywhere near 20".

Compared to some other 6-8lb fish, the fish's head and mouth is fairly large. I wouldn't doubt this being a 9-10lber come spring.

Like you said, by no fault of the angler, I think the scale gave a bad reading. He said in his excitement, he didn't take another to double check. Either way, still a huge fish around here.

BB
Old 10-14-09, 10:09 PM   #6
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im going to put up my pictures of the twelve pounder i caught then you will see big. But I would say that fish looks about 7
Old 10-15-09, 09:27 PM   #7
Bassboss

Yup! Pink Hookie for sure!! Only as 6-7lber. Nice fish, but no 10lber.
Old 10-15-09, 09:34 PM   #8
bamabassman

naw man.....that is every bit a 20 pounder fer sure. see the scale only goes half way. so double the weight shown and u have the CORRECT weight.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Old 10-16-09, 12:35 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Nope. No way. Not a chance in H-E-double hockey sticks.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 04:00 PM   #10
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

I hate to burst the poor guys bubble....look at the fish in my avitar it was 25 inches long and it barley weighted 8 lbs.
Old 10-16-09, 06:45 PM   #11
CMorg

Thats a nice fish Baron.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-09, 09:03 PM   #12
aikenyounggun

8.5 pound at best with some lead in it.. most likely 7... i caught one that was 7.75 (7lb 12oz) that was 22 inch and was full of eggs in spring.. it was chunky, real chunky
Old 10-20-09, 12:57 AM   #13
WTL

Sometimes people honestly but badly overestimate their catch. They arent damned to wear the pink hoodie, they just need to hold a few larger fish to get an appreciation for what weighs what.

Last year, I hit a small pond for the first time close to by neighborhood. A kid was already there, flinging a spinnerbait wildly. I asked him if he had done any good and he said he had caught a 7 pounder earlier that day. Looking at the pond, I doubted that it was possible given the water, but I kinda understood that to an 8 year old, a 3 would look like an 7, and didnt fault him. One day that kid really will catch a 7, and it will be so much sweeter.
Old 10-20-09, 09:41 AM   #14
nofearengineer

I will admit, when I pulled my first 5-pounder up this year, and it sorta laid there in the water by the side of the boat, it looked like so huge to me, I thought it would surely be a 7 pounder. However, once it hit the scales, I knew otherwise.
Old 10-20-09, 02:41 PM   #15
Panthrosan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Last year, I hit a small pond for the first time close to by neighborhood. A kid was already there, flinging a spinnerbait wildly. I asked him if he had done any good and he said he had caught a 7 pounder earlier that day. Looking at the pond, I doubted that it was possible given the water, but I kinda understood that to an 8 year old, a 3 would look like an 7, and didnt fault him. One day that kid really will catch a 7, and it will be so much sweeter.
Don't underestimate small ponds man. My buddy pulled this hawg out of a pond no more than an acre or 2 in size. If the forage is right, meaning bluegill and crappie in the case of this pond, then the sky is the limit in terms of size.

EDIT: LOL you can see the illegals over his shoulder fishing out 2 feet from shore for 4 inch bluegill with 9 foot surf rods. They were soooooooo pissed when he pulled out that fish and then they had the nerve to send one of their 20 kids over and have them ask us to give them the fish. Told them to pound sand and ceremoniously released the hawg back for them to never catch lol.

Last edited by Panthrosan; 10-20-09 at 02:53 PM.
Panthrosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-09, 09:08 PM   #16
WTL

This pond was 1/3 acre. I have since fished it many times and never beaten 3 and some change. I'm not saying the kid was necessarily wrong, maybe he did catch a 7, but I almost am willing to bet I caught the same fish he did.
Old 10-20-09, 10:42 PM   #17
nofearengineer

Then again, you might have the same situation I am dealing with (poor me ). My buddy's mom's pond, which is half an acre maybe, has the benefit of Mark bringing every good sized bass he catches home to it. And what is even better, somehow those fish are thriving! At least one of them is around 8 pounds now, and I am just chomping at the bit to catch her one of these days...not to keep her obviously, but to feel what an 8 pounder feels like.

I think the big fountain in the center of the lake is one of the reasons that little pond is able to support that much biomass. There are 50 lb catfish in this pond as well. Nuts....
Old 10-21-09, 11:15 AM   #18
WaffleJaw

We catch an average of 2 to 3 lbers out of our pond...This pond is seriously less than a quarter of an acre.Well? maybe a quarter at best...I mean its small,but deep and feed by the lake...We've caught bass,crappie,gills,bowfins,rockbass,and seen a gar in it...I know it holds bigger bass,and I know where they rest,lol....Just cant quite get there because of the terrain and my cast falls about 10' too short
The only problem is I know the locals are bucket fishers...But hopefully the bigger ones are still swimming!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.