Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

View Poll Results: One manufacture for life. Which is it?
Pflueger 0 0%
Shimano 10 27.03%
Daiwa 4 10.81%
Bass Pro Shops 7 18.92%
Abu Garcia 13 35.14%
Quantum 2 5.41%
Daiwa 1 2.70%
Browning 0 0%
Ardent 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-11, 02:44 PM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Your sentence: One manufacture for life!

If you could only use one brand for all of your reels and rods needs which would you choose?

Don’t cha just love these hypothetical polls? But let’s add some imagination. Say you were sentenced to a life of fishing with only one manufacture’s tackle. You’d have to consider all the possible situations; freshwater, saltwater, rivers, lakes, ponds, etc. Then consider you might have to teach a youngster or 1st time angler how to use the tackle available from this brand. Do they cover the beginner all the way to the advanced pro? Which brand would you want at your disposal?

I know there are brands out there that some of us probably have never heard of, but I didn’t feel like Googling for every single manufacture possible. So let’s just go with these brands in the poll. I’m sure we’ve all heard of these and are somewhat familiar with them. Nothing worse than a poll where everybody wants to write in their own selection. I hate that.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 03:03 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I wentm with BPS cause they've really got a good wide range of reels, spinning casting, cheap, exprensive, ect. They pretty much cover ever single kind of real I want, and pretty good quality to boot. Next would be shimano due to the life time warrenty.
Old 01-21-11, 08:38 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would say shimano. I think there are better rods as well as reels, but as an overall mfg, their stuff is as good as it gets. Additionally, the saltwater factor was huge. I admit that they may not be as good for the beginer being that they do not have any type of spin cast, but I figure it just means the kid gets taught on something else.

BTW, Diawa is listed twice on your poll.
Old 01-22-11, 04:54 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
BTW, Diawa is listed twice on your poll.
He must be tight with BB144 hahahaha, just joking. If anyone knows me, they know my pick was Shimano. Just like a Chevy or a Ford man, you find what works for you and go with it. I have tried different brands over the years, and nothing has matched their integrity FOR ME. Until they give me a reason to change, I will keep buying them.
Old 01-22-11, 07:29 AM   #5
walkeraviator

I chose Bass Pro. They have everything from kiddie poles to deep sea fishing covered. They have their own in house brand of salt water specific gear. Their reels are top notch and priced right. Their rods, while not the best in the world, are definitely above their price range in quality.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 08:39 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ardent doesn't make rods, so they shouldn't be considered in your poll.

Anyways, my pick would be Daiwa.

If I was allowed one manufacturer for reels and another for rods, Daiwa would still get reels, and Dobyns would get my vote for rods.

BB
Old 01-22-11, 08:48 AM   #7
bamabassman

picked ABU GARCIA. no SPALININ required. lol.
Old 01-22-11, 11:40 AM   #8
bassinbob

I voted Shimano. I started with them and I guess I'll finish with them. Although there are other brands of rods I like better.
Old 01-22-11, 02:09 PM   #9
Tavery5

If price plays a factor then I want to go with Abu Garcia, I think their current line of rod and reels offer the most value for your money. If money has no place in the coversation, then I choose to go with Shimano. Their line of rod and reels have proven through the years to be some of the most reliable and company backed products on the market. This question is very interesting, and has me analyzing why I have made some of the rod and reel purchases that I have over the last few years.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 02:48 PM   #10
TN_Bassin

Abu gets my vote for the most bang for your buck. Shimano makes a great product too, but Garcia's Revos are better than any other reel I've fished with, and you have to love that super smooth drag. Haven't had a chance to fish with the veritas or verdict but I'm liking what I'm seeing.
Old 01-22-11, 02:54 PM   #11
bassboogieman

I couldn't do it.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:15 PM   #12
keithdog

This is a tough one for me. I love my Garcias, but untill recently I didn't care much for their rods. Now they have come out with what I would say are pretty darn good rods. I'm not a Shimano man exactly, but I do like their rods and own a few myself, and I know their reels are of good quality as well. Now, BPS offers very good rods and reels and I own several of both as well. I guess for overall selection and quality, I'd have to go with BPS. But for me it's realy hard to choose between the three.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-11, 07:48 PM   #13
JB

I'd say shimano, I've got a set of baitcasters from the 90' and they still work fine. Plus last year bought some of their spinning reels and really like them to.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-11, 11:14 AM   #14
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Pflueger - Just have not been around them much, but the limited number of lefty baitcasters rules them out.

Shimano - I love their reels, but their rods just never felt right to me. Seemed to always be super tip heavy. If BPS wasn't an option, I could live with them though.

Diawa - Just another reel and rod. I've owed Diawa reels and they are just OK. I still have a Denny Brauer Flippin stick from many years ago. Never did like it much, so it became a catfish only rod.

BPS - I have yet to handle a reel or rod from BPS that I thought was bad. They get the vote for me. Lots of options!

Abu - Think they have the most overrated reels on the market. I can however live with there rods. The Vendetta I handle last year seemed reel nice.

Quantum - Never was a fan, but their new stuff looks very promising. The Smoke lineup is something I will be trying out this year.

Browning - Used to play around with some Browning stuff back in the early 2000s. It was decent, but not super.

Ardent - Well, they don't build rods and don't have lefty reels, so they're out.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 10:59 AM   #15
fish4942

Sorry about the duplicate Daiwa. One was supposed to be Okuma.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 01:22 PM   #16
Old Hooker

I have always been partial to Shimano reels, but they have gtten a little out of my price range in recent years. Since June I have bought several BPS Pro Qualifers and more than a few BPS rods. So far I hae been vry satisfied with them all. The Carbonlite rods are great.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.