Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-12, 08:35 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Pretty cool find at work. And also has anyone heard of this bait?

First of all I am a Wiggle Wart fanatic. I have had so many amazing days with this bait and won quite a bit of money in tournaments on this bait. I am certain that several if not all of these days never would have been, had I been using any other bait. Just about all of these success stories came on a post Rapala Wiggle Wart, so understand that I am not saying the new ones won't catch fish. Anyways a guy at work had a bunch of boxes of tackle that used to be his grandpas. He doesn't fish much so he brought a few boxes in to give some of guys at work some baits. As I was digging around I seen an old Wiggle Wart in an unopened box. I thought "no way". Sure enough as I moved the box around I was able to see the words "Wiggle Wart" under the bill. I offered the guy some money and he declined and said he had a bunch more if I wanted them, which I said heck yeah. Well I haven't seen anymore of them but I atleast got a pre-Rapala Wiggle Wart for free. Then I came home and luckily found a few auctions on ebay for some more pre Rapala Wiggle Warts and won a few more for a good price, with one auction being for 5 of them.

This brings me to the question part of my thread. Last night I was looking on ebay and ran across a bait that I have never heard of before. I texted Jrob and asked if he was familiar with it and he said that he hadn't heard of it either. It's called a Short Wart. Basically it looks like a shorter version of the Wiggle Wart (this bait is pre Rapala also), only it is a squarebilled crankbait. The auction was for 2 of them and the only crankbaits I like more than Wiggle Warts are squarebilled crankbaits so I figured how could I go wrong with a squarebilled version of a Wiggle Wart, so I bought them. They don't have the exact same body as a Wiggle Wart but pretty similiar, mainly they look like they are a little shorter. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about these baits? The best I can find on the internet is that Bassmaster Classic that was won by Ken Cook he was asked about a crankbait he was using. He knew it was one of the Storm crankbaits in the wart family but couldn't remember which one so he just said it was a "Short Wart". The next day Storm were making this bait under this name.
Old 07-09-12, 09:01 PM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wiggle wart is a name you don't here often. I remember fishing some of them a long time ago. I may need to look and see if I have a short wart.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 09:06 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Wiggle wart is a name you don't here often. I remember fishing some of them a long time ago. I may need to look and see if I have a short wart.
They aren't a bait that will be productive all the time, but in the early sprin through late fall they are deadly on the lakes around here in the Ozarks, and they have a very big following around here because of it.
Old 07-09-12, 09:18 PM   #4
AUFred

I went and looked through my boxes. I found a few "Storm Wiggle Warts" The most interesting bait was one in crawfish that looked like a wiggle wart but was a "Wiggle O" by Cordell.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-12, 09:32 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I went and looked through my boxes. I found a few "Storm Wiggle Warts" The most interesting bait was one in crawfish that looked like a wiggle wart but was a "Wiggle O" by Cordell.
I remember using the Wiggle O as a kid. I know we caught some fish on them but I can't really remember if they were really productive for us or not. If your Wiggle Warts say "Storm" under the bill then they are post Rapala, if they say "Wiggle Wart" under the bill then they are pre Rapala.
Old 07-09-12, 09:33 PM   #6
Bassboss

Awesome find!! Wish I had some good area here to fish a crankbait, I'd love to "experience" the old wiggle warts. Hope that Short Wart is all you expect it to be!
Old 07-09-12, 11:22 PM   #7
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

People are crazy about the pre-rapala. People on the buy and sell forum on another site always scoop em up pretty quickly even for high prices.

I'm no help with your question though
Old 07-10-12, 12:18 AM   #8
Jrob78

The baits looks really cool and unique. It does resemble a Wiggle Wart but doesn't resemble any square bill crank I've ever seen. Whether it was popular or not when it came out, I think it will be something the fish haven't seen before.
Old 07-10-12, 07:47 AM   #9
pro reel

I have one short wart that I got in an ebay group of warts. I also have another square bill wart thats bigger. It's the kind of a long slender bait. Never have seen another like it.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 11:06 AM   #10
bluebasser86

I've got quite a few Pre-Rapala wiggle warts that I use at Table Rock and Bull Shoals, that's the only time I use them. I also have a pre-rapala short wart, mag wart, and thin wart.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 11:36 AM   #11
3dkicker

Short wart

Old 07-10-12, 09:28 PM   #12
keithdog

I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a couple Warts. Now I think you have me talked into it. I just wasn't sure if the post Rapala ones were as good as the pre Rapala ones. I've never seen a Short Wart till Smitty posted this photo. Looks pretty darn good to me!
Old 07-10-12, 11:45 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've been toying around with the idea of picking up a couple Warts. Now I think you have me talked into it. I just wasn't sure if the post Rapala ones were as good as the pre Rapala ones. I've never seen a Short Wart till Smitty posted this photo. Looks pretty darn good to me!
I don't want to come across like I am saying that the new Wiggle Warts aren't good. They are very very good baits and when the conditions are right they will catch a ton of fish. I just like having some pre-Rapala Wiggle Warts for big money tournaments and on those days where there are a lot of guys throwing Wiggle Warts.
Old 07-19-12, 09:53 AM   #14
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

What's the difference in the pre and post Rapala wiggle warts?
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-12, 11:05 AM   #15
Tavery5

The Pre Rapala Warts are rumored to have been made of a different plastic composition, giving them a different buoyancy, sound and weight. The main attraction to the pre Warts was that they were an inexpensive bait and as such the molds were imperfect, this created baits that had a tendency to not run true, they would sporadically kick out to the left or right for no apparent reason.

Then came Rapala, and they supposedly re-worked the molds to create a bait that would run straight and true, thus loosing the "hunting" action of the pre Rapala Warts, which at the time I guess most thought was better. Turns out that the baits that hunt are in high demand.
The old baits were a few dollars each, and now go for as much as 15-20 dollars.
Old 07-19-12, 10:23 PM   #16
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks Tavery I started looking around on ebay a little today and seems like a lot of people are looking for em
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.