Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-08, 03:27 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default The BCS BS (and a way out of it.)

First, let me say that none of what follows has to do with my particular allegiances re college football. It just so happens that my favorite program is in the center of the firestorm.
Before I state my case for a solution I'm going to offer a justification for the naming of Oklahoma as winner of the Big 12 South...it's called The Positive Point System and has been used in high school football here in Texas many times before.
Ready?
TU beat OU by 10=10 positive points for TU, 10 minus points for OU.
TTU beat TU by 1= 1 positive point for TTU, 1 minus point for TU.
Score so far: TU +9, TTU +1, OU -10.
Then OU mangled TTU by 44 points= 34 PP for OU (44-10)
So, among the three-way tie guys, OU won the Positive Point match by a wide margin.
Agree or disagree, it is what it is.
Onward!
Simply put, the system as it now exist just doesn't work. Texas gets screwed because there's no playoff system (NOT because OU was "chosen",) as will several other winning teams. Witness Auburn a few years ago...13-0 and no chance to win the C'ship; Unfair in every category. The champion of the SEC ignored? It was a screw job then and would be a screw job now. What about Utah? Boysandgirlsie State?
As the season progressed I heard supporters of then-unbeaten teams say "Playoff? We don't need no steekeeng playoff!" Well, as teams suffered a first, even a second, loss the attitudes changed, at least among most. After all, a playoff would now be the only way to prolong their hopes, however bootless, of playing for the MNC.
Establishing a Playoff System: OMG! It'll be hit-or-miss at first and there will always be someone claiming their team got the shaft, but at least performance on the field will be the determining factor. There'll be fewer shameful performances on ESPN by Mack Brown (during OU's game v. OSWho, no less,) and no more editorializing by geniuses such as Kirk Herbstreit and other talking heads.
As I see it the reasonable concerns center around who gets into the playoffs in the first place. The simple solution might seem to select major conference champs and a small number of wild cards. OK, but let's face it; Some conferences, more specifically their champs, have no business being on the same field with even third place teams from other loops. Witness Oklahoma State, a three-loss team that could wallop a lot of other conferences' reps, and then there is TU, then TTU, a team that just happened to run into a Crimson 'n Cream buzzsaw or they'd be in KC this Saturday, "Chasing Daniel".
The selection process can never be perfect but it will be a lot closer to perfection (and deemed more fair,) as the years go by. I'm afraid, however, that the initial field is going to have to number more than, say, eight, in order to minimize whining from the "left-outs", many of whom would be justified in their chagrin.
There'll need to be a lot of Strength of Schedule consideration given in selecting the last few participants.
When you start talking sixteen, which means eight first round games and also means four weeks of playoffs before the RNC (no more myth) is decided, then you have howls from the academic-minded, rage from various bowl interests, and God-knows-whom-else. Still, over time, sixteen as the magic number would likely be a success.
Face it, the lesser divisions of the NCAA have made it work. The big guys can too.
The "Major League" of college football is the only such entity that does not have a championship that's won, cleanly and without doubt, on the field. It's time for that to go away.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 11:30 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lancer6,
I just cant get past the fact that Texas won it on the field. A lot of people cant. No disrespect to OU, but it isnt right. Keep it simple, no formulas, Texas won.

If they could figure out how to administrate a plus 1, maybe the regular season would not be hurt too badly, but anything more than that would alter college football to its very core in a bad way.

The "Major League" of college football is the only such entity that does not have a championship that's won, cleanly and without doubt, on the field.

You ever wonder how college football can be the most popular sport in America to discuss and watch, but its also be the only sport without that playoff? Hint - the two situations are linked.

Last edited by WTL; 12-04-08 at 11:39 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-08, 02:33 PM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, I have stated before that I am in favor of a playoff system. (I have made enough postings in support of my UVA Cavs for you all to know that this is not because it would help out my team at all) I don't think 16 teams is the way to go though. I understand stating a number like that to reduce the whines, but no matter what, someone is on the buble and left out. I say you do it with the top 6 teams, keep the BCS computers to determine those 6 teams. (yes, I know that as of right now, this excludes TTU, Boise, Penn State...etc..)
Teams 1 and 2 get the first round bye. You then incorporate the play offs into the exisiting bowl games. Let's face it, there are too many meaningless bowl games now. (He says while buying poinsettia bowl tickets)
Will it ever happen, I doubt it will occur any time soon. I doubt it.

I do think WTL makes a point that not having a playoff is part of what brings the passion to these dicussions.

The only issue I have with Point differential being the tie breaker is that it encourages the scores to be run up. It also changes the way they play the game. What if we knew at the kick off that OU was going to have to beat OSU by 30 at the start of that game? I believe this would cause some games to lose the emotion and fan base by the 3rd Qtr.
I don't know that there is a good tie breaker. Coaches face off in thunderdome style death match?....Not sure it is fair, but the pay per view would make millions.
Old 12-04-08, 04:00 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Lancer6,
I just cant get past the fact that Texas won it on the field. A lot of people cant. No disrespect to OU, but it isnt right. Keep it simple, no formulas, Texas won.
i agree, texas got screwed!
Old 12-04-08, 09:40 PM   #5
bamabassman

no offense to ANY SCHOOL. i am just glad that bama is one step closer and hopefully will win.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.