Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-08, 01:27 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The spoiled under-30 crowd!!!

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears
With their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking Twenty-five miles to school every morning

. Uphill... barefoot...

BOTH ways
Yadda, yadda, yadda
And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,
There was no way in hell I was going to lay

A bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it

And how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of
Thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.
You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my
Childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you
Don't know how good you've got it!
I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The Internet. If we wanted to know something, We had to go to the damn library and
Look it up ourselves, in the card catalogue!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write
Somebody a letter, with a pen!

.Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!
There were no MP3' s or Napsters! You wanted to
Steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you
Were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!
And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either!
When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school,
Your mom, your boss, your Bookie, your drug dealer, a collections agent, you
Just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!
We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video
Games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games
Like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square! You
Actually had to use your Imagination!! And there were no multiple levels or
Screens, it was just one screen
Forever!
And you could never win. The game just kept getting
Harder and harder and
Faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!
You had to use a Little book called a TV Guide to find out what was
On! You were screwed when it Came to channel surfing! You had to get off
Your *** and walk over to the TV to change the Channel and there was no
Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons
On Saturday Morning. Do you Hear what I'm saying!?! We had to wait ALL WEEK
For cartoons, you spoiled
Little rat-bastards!
And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat
Something up we had to use the stove ... Imagine that!

That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids
Today have got it too easy.
You're spoiled. You guys wouldn't have lasted
Five minutes back in 1980 or before !
Regards,
The over 30 Crowd
Old 10-27-08, 02:13 PM   #2
Bob Smith

Poor guy, you're younger than my youngest. Life was a lot tougher back in our younger days, but we didn't complain. It was actually a lot more fun. You didn't sit around waiting for MTV or VH-1, you went outside and played baseball or football with your buddies. You grabbed a rod and reel and rode your bicycle down to the gravel pits and went fishing all day. You camped out in the backyard, built a fire and wrapped potatoes in foil and cooked them in your little campfire. Music? We had 45 RPM and 33 RPM LP records, if you had a "stereo" everyone hung out at your house! Color TV was a rainbow looking filter you hung in front of the black and white TV. Lawnmowers, if powered at all were all manual push mowers, and leaf blowers and weedeaters didn't exist at all.
It was a lot simpler back then and I would gladly trade all the gadgets if we could go back to that time.
Old 10-27-08, 02:16 PM   #3
doc

But just think, with global warming, the economy, war on terror, and our politicians hard at work. It will soon be harder for us (Im 28 ) than it ever was when you was a kid.

Our Parents left us

War
a recession, possibly depression
OMG the polar bears are dying
cold war is starting back up, or someting close to it, damn russians
Fossel feul crisis
Great barrier reef is dying
tainted toys from china

THE DAMN DOG FOOD IS NOT EVEN SAFE

See it'll be just as tough as it was in the 30's pretty soon

Regards,
The under 30 Crowd

*not a rant, I loved the paragraph just thought Id add a funny response.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 02:56 PM   #4
cassidyta

I hope everyone knows that this was not meant to be an insult, just funny reading.
Old 10-27-08, 02:58 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i soon will be 26, so while i may not be over 30 i am old enough to have lived through and remember a lot of what you said. i really liked your post, but it's sad how true it is. how many people on here were just up and given a car or truck when you turned 16? if you were chances are it was some old beat up thing that had been in the family forever and you were proud to have it. anymore it seems like it is the norm for parents to buy their kids better vehicles than they can afford for themselves. next time you are around a highschool drive through the students parking lot and the teachers parking lot and see who is driving the better vehicles. and for the most part the absolute most these kids can be paying is insuriance because them being in school wouldn't leave them enough time to work a job that would pay for these cars.......and as expensive as insuriance is for younger drivers i doubt most of them are even paying that.
Old 10-27-08, 03:11 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I hope everyone knows that this was not meant to be an insult, just funny reading.
And it is funny reading! I enjoyed it, but I still miss the simpler times!
The political arena back then was probably every bit as volatile as today's politics (comparatively speaking), but the simple means of communication being what they were, you just didn't know it as quickly.

I thought my kids were spoiled with Atari, Pacman, MTV, VH1 and HBO. Now I watch my grandkids (two of whom also live Grammy and I) with the WII, their own Televisions with built in DVD players and cable in every room of our house including two Digital and HD boxes, surround sound system (Sony) and it certainly puts things in perspective of what each generation had. Amazing to say the least.. And to think that life is so bad that we need "Change we can believe in". DOH! I think they need to pull the MP3 Players out of the ears and take a good look around! lol
Old 10-27-08, 03:12 PM   #7
doc

Quote:
I took it as funny reading, but sadly true.

If it makes you feel any better I see the same things with my kids, we had nintendo they have xbox 360
we had walkmans they have mp3 players
some kids have cellphones before they can tie their shoes these days.
Old 10-27-08, 04:01 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
and as expensive as insuriance is for younger drivers i doubt most of them are even paying that.
I am not saying this is the perfect plan, but this is how we handled it. I have two boys that will be driving in the near future. My wife and I each got a new vehicle when the boys were 10. We did this knowing that the vehicle would be paid for and insurance would not be too bad when the boys were getting ready to drive the now 6 year old vehicle.
Most insurance companies give breaks on teen agers who maintain certain GPAs. Mine also gives a decent break if they have a 4.0. I have told both boys that I will contribute to their insurance in an amount that would equal if they have the 4.0. Any amount over that comes out of their pockets.

They do have cell phones. I thought long and hard about that one and felt that it was not an issue. Plus it gives my wife a sense of comfort.
Both have laptops, but I use my router to restrict and log what and where they go to.
There are no TVs in any bedroom and the one with the video game systems is in the spare room. (XBOX and WII) We have a scoring system that determines the amount of time earned per week. This factors in school, chores being done on time and correctly, attitude, etc. they earn bonus time if they find things that need to be done and do it before I have to tell them.
MP3 players can not be in their ears if they are in a situation where they could hold a conversation. I allow them when they are cutting grass, working out, doing home work, etc. ..but if they are in a room or car with others, then no joy.

I will openly say this about parenting. I was a much better parent before I had kids. I knew what I would do or say in every situation. I am sure that I knew that my kids would never (fill in the blank). When it comes to my sons, I will consider my parenting a success if I can one day look them in the eye and respect them as a man and they can do the same to me. I tell them all the time that I am far more worried with how they react to their mistakes than the fact that they make them.

As far as Daughters. Mine is 5 and I wrapped around her finger. thank God I have time till she is a teen.
Old 10-27-08, 04:15 PM   #9
doc

Quote:

As far as Daughters. Mine is 5 and I wrapped around her finger. thank God I have time till she is a teen.

Mine is 5 too, as soon as I figure out wich convent Im sending her to before puberty I'll be sure to post it.
Old 10-27-08, 04:52 PM   #10
zooker

PREACH IT BROTHER!!!!!

bad thing is mine kid is 17 going on 45 i swear..

zooker
Old 10-27-08, 05:15 PM   #11
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i think there's one on top of a mountain somewhere in tenn, doc.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 05:25 PM   #12
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
i think there's one on top of a mountain somewhere in tenn, doc.
How high of a mountain?

Is the electricity grid fed, or generator?

is there phone lines/ outside influences other than the satelite phone strictly for family calls?

There is some strict criteria to be met

When I say, convent Im meaning something more on the lines of a tibetan temple. Work all year on a sand picture just to mess it up before anyone sees it type of deal.

Oh, god do I dread the day when my daughter is of boy age. I fully expect to rub a few kids faces in the ground.
Old 10-27-08, 05:36 PM   #13
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post

Oh, god do I dread the day when my daughter is of boy age. I fully expect to rub a few kids faces in the ground.
My daughter was 2 months old the first time I saw her. I have a picture in my office of me in rather dirty desert cammies on a tarmac aboard Marine Corps Air Station Miramar. I still had my pack on my back with an M-16 on my shoulder and a K-Bar visible from my harness.

This is the pic I will show any boy who first shows up at the house to see my daughter. I will follow up by showing him markmanship awards.

that is my plan.
Old 10-27-08, 06:02 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I am not saying this is the perfect plan, but this is how we handled it. I have two boys that will be driving in the near future. My wife and I each got a new vehicle when the boys were 10. We did this knowing that the vehicle would be paid for and insurance would not be too bad when the boys were getting ready to drive the now 6 year old vehicle.
Most insurance companies give breaks on teen agers who maintain certain GPAs. Mine also gives a decent break if they have a 4.0. I have told both boys that I will contribute to their insurance in an amount that would equal if they have the 4.0. Any amount over that comes out of their pockets.

They do have cell phones. I thought long and hard about that one and felt that it was not an issue. Plus it gives my wife a sense of comfort.
Both have laptops, but I use my router to restrict and log what and where they go to.
There are no TVs in any bedroom and the one with the video game systems is in the spare room. (XBOX and WII) We have a scoring system that determines the amount of time earned per week. This factors in school, chores being done on time and correctly, attitude, etc. they earn bonus time if they find things that need to be done and do it before I have to tell them.
MP3 players can not be in their ears if they are in a situation where they could hold a conversation. I allow them when they are cutting grass, working out, doing home work, etc. ..but if they are in a room or car with others, then no joy.

I will openly say this about parenting. I was a much better parent before I had kids. I knew what I would do or say in every situation. I am sure that I knew that my kids would never (fill in the blank). When it comes to my sons, I will consider my parenting a success if I can one day look them in the eye and respect them as a man and they can do the same to me. I tell them all the time that I am far more worried with how they react to their mistakes than the fact that they make them.

well put and it sounds like a good plan. i am not saying that there is anything wrong with helping out your kids, but it seems like kids are now expecting to be given these things instead of appreciating them. my wife and i don't have kids yet but we have basically been a mother and daughter figure to my 3 year old niece since she was born (God knows her dad isn't any help at all and my sister isn't much better). so i know what you mean about being wrapped around your daughters finger, and i also know what it's like to want them to have things that we couldn't have at their age (some of them our parents couldn't afford and others just weren't around yet). man i am gonna have to stay out of this now........i can see 30 creaping in on me and i am already talking about "these kids now a' days". hahaha, great post though.
Old 10-27-08, 06:48 PM   #15
3dkicker

Imagine being born in 1908 in Italy and come over to the US on a boat in 1911. Have your father die when you were young, 11. Live through the depression, both World Wars, start working when you were 15 (change your birth certificate so you could), and never learn to drive a car. Live in the same house for over 70 years and still wash the dishes by hand and hang your clothes outside to dry (in the summer). You might think you've had a tough life but let's take another look.
You got to see Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Whitey Ford play baseball at Fenway Park and get the Babes autograph. You lived to see indoor plumbing and all the time saving devices that comes with it, radio, moving pictures, television, and computers too. You got to watch men walk on the moon. You got to see a couple very deadly diseases get wiped out and medicine cure many others. So it really depends on how you look at your life or my grandmother's (yep she turned 100 this year).
Old 10-27-08, 08:10 PM   #16
Bob Smith

Wow! what a great thread this turned out to be! Cassidyta, it sounds like you have set some excellent boundaries and goals for those boys! Just stay the course and it will be a sign of great parenting especially in these troubled times.

Living to be 100 years is special, especially if she still has her wits about her. I can imagine there are some terrific stories from her!
Old 10-27-08, 09:27 PM   #17
bamabassman

well...being 46 (soon 47,too soon,lol). i listened to my grandfather alot. see he could remember (died quite a few years ago) coming to bama as a 6 year old on an ol steam train from dallas tx. never owned a piece of dirt his whole life, share cropper.raised 8 kids and 3 sons had a car before he ever owned one. mawmaw never learned to drive, was too busy cooking, cleaning and makin quilts to keep warm in da winter. but they saw the golden age of america, the invention of radio, tv, computers, phone etc. saw his first car at the age of 22 (real funny story there too). saw man go from horses to cars to airplanes to walking on the moon. depression, recessions and still said he lived a WONDERFUL LIFE. i asked him if he ever wanted to go anywhere else, anything he wanted to see before he died. he said he has seen more than i ever would already. i think he is right. you have to look deeper to know what i mean. it is hard to explain. as for kids. have a 31 yr old step daughter. wonderful lady. miss her alot. papa reese died just before his 93 b-day. born in 1898. i miss him more and more as i get older. i wonder if he would be pleased with how i have done in my life. yes i admired him more than i can say. do alot of things the way HE taught me. honor, was always his moto. he said a man is only as good as his word. i still believe that to this day. the golden rule applies here.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-08, 09:33 PM   #18
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
how many people on here were just up and given a car or truck when you turned 16?.....

Know exactly what you mean. I'm one of probably 15 or 20 kids in my school (3000 students) that bought their own car/truck and pays everything on it. I wouldn't have taken a new car even if my family had been dumb/crazy enough to give me one (you should see some of the crap my trucks been through).

Ain't got much to say about the boy thing, cuz I'm the 17 year old guy gettin shown gun pictures
Old 10-27-08, 11:04 PM   #19
cassidyta

Bama's grandfather statement reminded me of my own.
When I was younger and sure I knew everything, he would pause and look at me. Then he would spit into his spitoon and say "Boy, you think you have all the answers but I am here to tell you that you don't even know all of the questions yet" At the time I was sure that phrase made no sense. In hindsight, it was one of the most profound things he ever said.
Old 10-28-08, 12:37 AM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well...being 46 (soon 47,too soon,lol). i listened to my grandfather alot. see he could remember (died quite a few years ago) coming to bama as a 6 year old on an ol steam train from dallas tx. never owned a piece of dirt his whole life, share cropper.raised 8 kids and 3 sons had a car before he ever owned one. mawmaw never learned to drive, was too busy cooking, cleaning and makin quilts to keep warm in da winter. but they saw the golden age of america, the invention of radio, tv, computers, phone etc. saw his first car at the age of 22 (real funny story there too). saw man go from horses to cars to airplanes to walking on the moon. depression, recessions and still said he lived a WONDERFUL LIFE. i asked him if he ever wanted to go anywhere else, anything he wanted to see before he died. he said he has seen more than i ever would already. i think he is right. you have to look deeper to know what i mean. it is hard to explain. as for kids. have a 31 yr old step daughter. wonderful lady. miss her alot. papa reese died just before his 93 b-day. born in 1898. i miss him more and more as i get older. i wonder if he would be pleased with how i have done in my life. yes i admired him more than i can say. do alot of things the way HE taught me. honor, was always his moto. he said a man is only as good as his word. i still believe that to this day. the golden rule applies here.
great stuff bama, and i am sure he would be very happy with the kind of guy you are........proud is probably more like it buddy.
Old 10-28-08, 12:39 AM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
"Boy, you think you have all the answers but I am here to tell you that you don't even know all of the questions yet"
very true and very well put
Old 10-28-08, 07:03 PM   #22
bamabassman

thank you c-rig. ya know gang. the ones of us that had grandfathers, or fathers who lived before all the modern things we take for granted now. really knew what "hard times" really where like. i know times are hard now. don't get me wrong. it is a different kind of hard times we are in now though. and cassidyta.... your grandfather was right too. we STILL don't know all the questions. and we never will.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-08, 08:18 PM   #23
WTL

One day Socrates went to the Oracle at Delphi. The Oracle told Socrates that he was the wisest of all men.

Socrates thought about that prophesy for a while, and wondered how it could be so as he knew he was not very smart, that there was much he did not understand.

Then, he realized that he could only be the wisest of all men because he knew that he really knew nothing. All around him were experts on this or that, Socrates was the only one however who realized how truly ignorant we all are.

I think that story of Socrates is one of the greatest parables ever told, especially outside the Bible. I can remember back in High School when I thought I knew everything and that my teachers were so stupid. Today, reflecting back on those years, I realize that my teachers were in fact stupid, but I still didnt know that much.

"But I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now...."
Old 11-02-08, 08:49 PM   #24
flfireman

Very good thread. My grandpa was cut from the same mold. Worked for Firestone tire plant until he retired, at age 71 passed away. Seems working in tire plants is about as bad as a coal mine for the lungs. Never heard him complain, I was at their house spending the night 2 days before he passed. He worked hard, expected me to work hard. Also taught me one thing, seems to be extinct now a days. A mans word and handshake were all that was needed.(yes, it sounds like a country song) I continue to try to live by this, I have been screwed a few times. Only problem now, back then you broke your word, you got a good pounding and the town wouldn't look at you the same anymore. Now, people break it everyday and it's par for the course.
Kids- Ive got 4, my oldest is 17, lives with my ex out of state. I have a 12y/o who is in Jr High and starting to write I LOVE _______ on her folders. None have made it to the house yet, that will be a whole new post when it happens. My 5y/o is the spit from my mouth. He is everything my mom cursed me with. He's my boy, a little wild, a lot rebellious and full of energy. My 3y/o is a princess(just ask her), her new trick is instant tears after hearing the word NO. Ive developed a lot of chrome highlights over the past years.
The original post- yes kids seem ungrateful these days. They expect everything to be given to them. Once it is, they want another one. Not all kids are like this, but the majority of them seem to be influenced by this materialistic need to have bigger and better. We(wife and me) are doing are best to curb this. Yes my kids have a lot, some may say they are spoiled. We give them what we can, we also take what we give. This is based on performance in school, attitude, behavior. I will admit, parenting is the hardest job to have and do right. Sorry, kinda of rambling. Good post, good input. As long as we all try, the rest is up to them.
Old 11-02-08, 09:15 PM   #25
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
A mans word and handshake were all that was needed.(yes, it sounds like a country song)

"Down Home" by Alabama

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.