Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-08, 01:22 AM   #1
Redbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lures

Can anyone suggest what type of lure to use to catch large bass , have tried poppers , spinnerblades and skitterpops but to no avail,have only caught little bass, have no boat so shore based angling is the only way for me, usually fish around Yarramundi or Penrith weir.
Redbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 01:56 AM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Looks like you are doing some river fishing? Maybe try a jig or a Senko type worm fished on the bottom very slowly. Also it could have to do with the location, there just might not be many larger bass there. Have you tried some other places?
Not that I catch any real big fish, haha.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 02:07 AM   #3
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

welcome to the site. id try senkos amd jigs for bigger bass
weezymagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 09:28 AM   #4
woody

I would have to agree with Bender and Weezy. Try pitchin a jig, senko or even a tube in and around cover, such as logs and brush piles. This type of fishing is gonna require lots of patience though. You have really got to pay attention to what's going on down there by watching the movement of your line and the feel of your retrieve. Even when you feel the slightest bite be ready to set the hook. Sometimes it won't even feel like a bite, your line may just feel a little bit heavier or even a bit lighter. And like Bender said choosing the lure is easy, it's finding the fish that is the hardest part of it all.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 08:58 PM   #5
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbass View Post
Can anyone suggest what type of lure to use to catch large bass , have tried poppers , spinnerblades and skitterpops but to no avail,have only caught little bass, have no boat so shore based angling is the only way for me, usually fish around Yarramundi or Penrith weir.
We all have our own definition of what constitutes a large bass. I've caught a number of large ones from shore, but I fish ponds, not rivers.

I think virtually any lure can catch a large bass. The trick is to locate one and get a lure near it. My large bass have been mostly on topwaters, especially in the last three years, but I've caught them on Senkos, tubes, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and soft jerkbaits in addition to the topwaters.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-08, 11:31 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the house of nuts and fodder fo da bait monkey. i see that he already has you wanting to feed him. well......... you truly can catch LARGE bass on just about ANY type of lure size. it just depends on when, where, weather and so forth. right now, i am DYING for some decent weather so i can try out jig fishing. i just got some AWESUM jigs that are just waiting for me to try out. so watch the videos from KEVIN that are on here, maybe you can fisnd out the answers to your question somewhat there. and ask us ANYTHING you need to know. while I am NOT the expert, there are alot of folks here that are MORE than willing to help you out buddy. welcome to the site pal. good luck, and keep your hooks SHARP!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 07:52 AM   #7
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

Large Shiners = Large bass
Nothing better than a live lure.
If you want to use a lure, follow these guys advice.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-08, 02:12 PM   #8
mont_lunker_hunter

Do forget a texas rigged 10" worm (or larger). Since your a bank fisherman I'd definetly go with a weedless bait when possible. And sometimes simpler is better, I fish a 11.5" straight tail worm an aweful lot.
Old 11-22-08, 11:12 AM   #9
Jim80

Senko style baits are one of my favorites or like mont said a big worm I'm a pond/lake guy myself and don't do much river fishing . Also all the baits you mentioned will catch a big bass there just has to be one around when you are using it .

Jim
Old 11-22-08, 11:51 PM   #10
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

there are countless threads about this and everyone has their opinion....there has to be a monster bass for you to catch so a pond rarely fished... and a good pond is the place to be
Old 02-22-09, 11:19 PM   #11
Redbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbass View Post
I tried again the other day and managed to get a little bass about 13cm long,
the bottom of the river is extremely weedy ,so surface lures seem to be the best option, but i caught that little bass on a light weighted soft plastic curly tail grub,

will keep trying for that big one ,thanks for all your tips. redbass
Old 02-22-09, 11:23 PM   #12
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

tell us more about the river you are fishing pal. give us as much info as you can. grassy bottoms tells me to use a worm or izard or a spinner.... i could go on and on. give us water depth, water temp, clear or muddy. everything you can. we'll help ya out pal.
Old 02-23-09, 03:13 PM   #13
aikenyounggun

yeah throw a jig and fish it slow.... have a big trailer on it .... not going to catch as many fish but they will be bigger....... welcome to the forum
Old 02-23-09, 11:29 PM   #14
bassinbob

The main thought to catch a big bass is to use a big bait. Yet a lot of big bass are caught on small baits. So, as stated above maybe no big bass are present. If all the aforementioned baits fail to produce a big bass that could be the case. If you persist to fish the same locations I would suggest using a big bait. Maybe a 1oz. or larger spinnerbait or a large swimbait. Don't forget to fish the prime times, moon phase-etc.
Old 02-24-09, 09:55 PM   #15
Jigger

Jig and pig.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 09:58 PM   #16
The Doc

Soft plastic swimbaits work to weed out the smaller ones. Use one about 4-5" long.
Old 02-24-09, 10:11 PM   #17
aikenyounggun

try ripping a big rattle trap out of the grass.... when it gets n there rip it out and when i mean rip it has to be very poweful to get the grass off.... this makes the thing rattle even more and really gets them started
Old 02-24-09, 10:15 PM   #18
MrPhotographer06

my dad caught his PB getting stuck in the weeds..

he was fishing with one of those kidde reels with plastic gears and all.. and he was throwin a straight rebel over the weeds.. and he'd jerk it to get it over them.. well he jerked it and it got caught in the weeds and he started doing the well known yankin it up and down and evidently the bass thought it was a bird and took it.. then the gears stripped and my dad had to back up the bank to get the fish to the bank and get it..

a little over 8 lbs
Old 04-21-09, 08:29 PM   #19
Redbass
BassFishin.Com Member

well finally have caught a good size bass,YEE HA!(15cm),that is pretty good for me i think, i was pretty excited,the fish fought pretty hard, so i can only imagine what a BIG bass would be to catch, started off with a skitterpop(lot of weed so surface lures seem to be the way to go),hooked up on small bass , then tried light weighted jig head with small red tail curly grub , fish hit it like a freight train,lots of fun will be going again soon, thanks everyone for their advice.
Old 04-21-09, 08:47 PM   #20
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

it seems the grub is the only bottom bait you fish? try a bigger bait, small fish cant always eat a huge bait
Old 04-21-09, 09:19 PM   #21
MrPhotographer06

i think big bass like pumpkin finesse worms..

people in the community are still talking about it some dude was braggin on me today..haha

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.