Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-09, 10:49 PM   #1
ky southern

Default rod and reel wet

this is a big oops story,somehow one of my new extreme rod and reels ended up in the lake.i blamed it on my son,he said my foot knocked it off,but it went in and was headed down and i stuck my arm in the water and low and behold i grabed it.i throwed it a few times and water was flying out of it,took sideplate off and got the water out of the brake area.is there something i need to do to it,oil,grease,or just fish like heck with it.this is a first for me.
Old 04-18-09, 11:08 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You should probably take it apart and clean it like you would at the end of the season. Then oil and grease it and it should be alright.

BB
Old 04-19-09, 03:45 AM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I usually don't have a problem if my reel gets a little wet, they are made to be on the water, but if any water made its way into the gearbox, its time to do a lube job
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 04:20 AM   #4
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I wouldnt worry about it. In the past I have dunked my reels while fishing (always and only do that in freshwater) to just quickly clean off sand or grit.
Old 04-19-09, 11:05 AM   #5
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would clean , oil and grease it...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-09, 12:03 PM   #6
ky southern

the reel is brand new,it was its second trip.i bought 8 of em this winter when they where on sale,i guess you can tell i really like em.does anybody know how to take the cover off where the gears are,or how to grease the gears.i know how to oil the bearings,but i have never been in the other side of the extreme,guess i have never had to.also,it was only in the water maybe 5 seconds.
Old 04-21-09, 10:45 PM   #7
Christopherkeene9

Gonna say it is alright. If you've ever been around salt you will know that freshwater will do nothing for these things. After a day on the salt everything gets totally soaked and rinsed.

And nothing is worse than some pounding offshore in the spray.

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-09, 02:39 AM   #8
islandbass

Remove any water you might find inside. You might find that there isn't any water inside. However, failure to do so would be negligence on your part. Take care of your reel(s) and they'll take care of you. Don't be in the set of anglers who say, "My reel was great until it crapped out on me."

I accidentally dropped my curado d into the lake. When I opened it up, I found trace amounts of water. I just dabbed it out. It's painless.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.