Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-10, 06:06 PM   #1
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bass Tournaments

I fish Bass tournaments. I do it because I like the competition. All of it. The Bass, the time constraints, the other contenders, fighting the weather & water when need be, etc. It's the only time you can truly test your skills and equipment against others. It allows you to learn a lot about yourself & helps hone mental toughness. And, in the process, you meet some very talented, interesting people. Do you fish tournaments? If so, why? If not, why not?
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 07:23 PM   #2
rangerryan

Yes i do and for all the same reasons not to mention i get to take the day off of work.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:14 PM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I do not simply because i do not have the boat or the time... wish i could though.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-10, 10:42 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well.....i am going to enter (well, already have,lol) enter 1 tourny. GBASSMAN and i are fishing the GAMBLER tourny. this saturday. we'll see how this one goes then we'll see about another. i am really ot a tourny fisherman. too much pressure for me i think. but you never know............
Old 06-21-10, 10:59 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

I fish club tournaments, a Triton Trail, a Ranger Trail, and a lot of jackpot type tournaments as well. I do it for a lot of reason, the biggest being the compitition. You will really elevate your abilities when you fish against good anglers and there is money on the line.
Old 06-21-10, 11:23 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Yep...I really like to fun fish, but nothing gets me more excited than the morning of a tournament. I'm very competitive by nature...and tourneys get my blood flowing.

Just wish I had the time to fish more tournaments.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 12:09 PM   #7
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well.....i am going to enter (well, already have,lol) enter 1 tourny. GBASSMAN and i are fishing the GAMBLER tourny. this saturday. we'll see how this one goes then we'll see about another. i am really ot a tourny fisherman. too much pressure for me i think. but you never know............
Keep in mind Bama, that the pressure is all self inflicted. Just temper it to your liking & have fun with it. Good luck this Saturday. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-22-10, 03:28 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
Keep in mind Bama, that the pressure is all self inflicted. Just temper it to your liking & have fun with it. Good luck this Saturday. Let us know how it goes.
Yep and remember to fish the moment. It's great to have a plan of what you are going to do next but don't let it rush what you are doing now, fish the moment. Fishing too fast is my biggest weakness in a tourney, I am jacked up plus you figure in the time constraints and it is a recipe for me to fish way too fast. Just slow yourself down and fish the moment and you should be fine, of course you will have to increase the size of bass you have been catching but that is in your hands hahahahaha.
Old 06-22-10, 05:01 PM   #9
Bender

I used to when I lived in Michigan a year ago but I stopped when I moved. I liked tournaments because of getting to meet people and sometimes getting money. Although VERY FEW anglers actually make any money when you factor in the costs involved. The ones I enjoyed the most were Tuesday nights, it was more like a bowling league or something since it was only $40/team, 100% payback, and a 3 fish limit. BTW it took 12 1/2# to win it last Tuesday.

I don't like having to stop fishing at a certain time though, when I fish for fun I'm usually on the water as long as possible. I also feel that most of the time I would rather just be out there fishing for fun and usually only entered tournaments where I would have been there anyway. Either that or ones that were on new lakes to me, otherwise I'd never have gone to them. Another thing is that many people take tournaments way too seriously and act differently than they would normally act. I never fished bigger tournaments because I have no desire to become a pro or anything like that, I have a career that I like already.

I think you really need to evaluate why or why not you want to enter tournaments and choose which ones to fish. There are certain large organizations out there that pay back in the 60% range and other smaller ones that I fished that were 90-100%. While I didn't do it because I needed to win money I don't like getting robbed either. I do wonder why some people fish the larger trails when they are usually finish in the lower part. Sure you need time to learn but after a certain period I know that I would just have more fun fishing by myself, which is what I do most of the time and that's fine with me.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-10, 06:42 PM   #10
bamabassman

thanks for the help guys. gonna give it my best.
Old 06-22-10, 10:25 PM   #11
tim4081

Good luck bama!!!

As for me I'm a fun fishermen. I have nothing against tourneys and have relatives who fish them quite a bit. For me fishing is relaxing and a way to get away from the high pressure, high competition I face at work every day. Thats the great thing about our sport....you can approach it from so many different angles and get so many different forms of satisfaction from it.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 11:09 AM   #12
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I used to when I lived in Michigan a year ago but I stopped when I moved. I liked tournaments because of getting to meet people and sometimes getting money. Although VERY FEW anglers actually make any money when you factor in the costs involved. The ones I enjoyed the most were Tuesday nights, it was more like a bowling league or something since it was only $40/team, 100% payback, and a 3 fish limit. BTW it took 12 1/2# to win it last Tuesday.

I don't like having to stop fishing at a certain time though, when I fish for fun I'm usually on the water as long as possible. I also feel that most of the time I would rather just be out there fishing for fun and usually only entered tournaments where I would have been there anyway. Either that or ones that were on new lakes to me, otherwise I'd never have gone to them. Another thing is that many people take tournaments way too seriously and act differently than they would normally act. I never fished bigger tournaments because I have no desire to become a pro or anything like that, I have a career that I like already.

I think you really need to evaluate why or why not you want to enter tournaments and choose which ones to fish. There are certain large organizations out there that pay back in the 60% range and other smaller ones that I fished that were 90-100%. While I didn't do it because I needed to win money I don't like getting robbed either. I do wonder why some people fish the larger trails when they are usually finish in the lower part. Sure you need time to learn but after a certain period I know that I would just have more fun fishing by myself, which is what I do most of the time and that's fine with me.
You make some good points there, Bender. I know several people who burned out on tournaments, including me. I got back into them just a few years ago, but with a lot less "fire". With the exception of a few small local $ tournaments, I just fish the McDonalds/Sealy Big Bass tournaments. I like their format (single fish, launch where you like, etc.), & a good portion of the proceeds go to the Ronald McDonald House. They're big events, so the local economy gets a big boost which they really appreciate. I've met a lot of wonderful folks there too. While I love the competition, I've learned that it's not just about winning, for me. It's about participation and contribution in a worthwhile event. As you said, you have to evaluate why you do it to make the right decisions on which tournaments to fish.
Old 06-23-10, 01:35 PM   #13
Bender

I almost made it to Guntersville this year to fish that one geezer! Several of my friends came down from Michigan but it was just too far from NY for me. That sounded like a lot of fun, open to shore fishermen too I believe. I'll schedule it in for next year since I'm close now.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-10, 02:19 PM   #14
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I almost made it to Guntersville this year to fish that one geezer! Several of my friends came down from Michigan but it was just too far from NY for me. That sounded like a lot of fun, open to shore fishermen too I believe. I'll schedule it in for next year since I'm close now.
I fished a military anglers tournament a few years back, on Guntersville. Got spanked REAL bad. Need to go back for some revenge. It's on my "bucket list". I hope you tear 'em up next year!
Old 06-23-10, 06:57 PM   #15
bamabassman

bender, call me when ya plan on coming over here. but i warn you......you'll want to move again. hahaha!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.