Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-09, 07:44 PM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default First Assessment of Mag-Touch Casting Rod

I decided to hit Lake Washington from the shore on my short lunch break to give my new Mag-Touch (from Cabelas) casting rod its first test and trial with bottom fishing. I wanted to see how well or poorly the rod would transmit feedback to me. My reel was spooled with 10# mono. I chose mono because I wanted to see how it would fare without the benefits that braid and fluorocarbon lines spoil us with.

Although it is a bit too early to give a full review, I will say that the rod possesses very good sensitivity. The first place I worked was loaded with a lot of grass and the Mag-Touch did a good job of painting the grassy picture. Whew!!!! The Mag-Touch is the first rod I ever bought site unseen without holding it and I was initially nervous. On my second pitch, I felt some nibbling that never got quite to the hook. Darn. The next cast yielded the same result so I moved to another area with a rocky bottom.
The Mag Touch once again painted a great image as I worked my drop shot rig. I placed what was probably the fourth or fifth cast next to some surface piercing wooden poles amidst the riprap and then, thwupp… It was not a nibble, but a complete engulfing of the bait, as my rod bent slightly toward the water and my line got tugged straight down.
No “Iaconelli’ing” today from me. I brought the smallie in quickly and when I brought it close to me, I noticed that my bait was gone and the smallie spat out a beat up 3” senko type bait. I also saw that it might have been recently caught with the drop shot. There was a hole in its palette that was about the size of a hook’s point, right next to where my hook was. I released him and headed back to work.

What a Cutie Smallie. You can see the worn out senko in the background. I wonder how long it has been in his gullet.

I think I made a decent acquisition in purchasing this rod. It is an additional all around trunk rod.

Conditions: Overcast, about 70 degrees
Rod/Reel: 7’ Mag-Touch casting Rod/Curado 101D with 10# Sufix Siege
Technique: Drop Shot, 3/16 oz pencil weight
Lure; 3” gray senko in the grass, 2” brown French fry worm in the rocks

08-05-09

Last edited by islandbass; 08-06-09 at 07:52 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 07:58 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good read, IB.

I'm not personally in the market for any more rods at the minute, but if I were, your tale would certainly have piqued my curiosity!
Old 08-06-09, 09:21 PM   #3
Jim80

Alex a great read as always man thanks

jim
Old 08-06-09, 09:37 PM   #4
keithdog

I've gotta get a job thats close to some shore fishin!!! Good story and lots of good details. Thanks for sharing and congrats. Looks like a beautiful outfit.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 11:09 PM   #5
islandbass

Thanks, guys.

@ Nofear: I wasn't in the market for a rod either, but I was able to score the Mag Touch for less than $30 with tax and free shipping. The bait monkey said there was no way on the dry side of Seattle that he was going to miss that deal, and I couldn't say no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've gotta get a job thats close to some shore fishin!!! Good story and lots of good details. Thanks for sharing and congrats. Looks like a beautiful outfit.
It's a blessing and a curse. There are more times you're that close to some water and you know you can't go fishing which is the case usually.
Old 08-06-09, 11:20 PM   #6
Bassboss

ya those are some sweet looking rods! If I ever get a the convinced of a boat, I think that's gonna be my worms rod.
Old 08-08-09, 10:54 AM   #7
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Thanks for the heads-up, ib! I've been thinkin about gettin one for a while now.
Keep us posted!
Old 08-08-09, 11:18 AM   #8
brushhog

IB - good read, thanks. Do you ever fish anything other than the drop shot?
Old 08-08-09, 12:31 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Well, I know he fishes a certain shark-mouthed crankbait hehe.
Old 08-08-09, 01:48 PM   #10
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
Ha ha, that's a good one! I love fishin' cranks and jerk baits and I am starting to appreciate jigs. However, whenever they don't work I do to drop shot mode and then it catches the fish so it gives the impression that I don't fish anything else.

On this day, I didn't have much nor or any jigs with me, so it was drop shotting by default because that was all I had that I could use to test the rod's sensitivity.

@ nofear - lil' ol sharkbait is still producing. no strikes for baby bass, though.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.