Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-05, 06:12 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finesse Baits

I have not had much luck throwing finesse baits at all? What techniques to you guys like to use and when? Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-14-05, 07:17 PM   #2
skeeter944

drop shot rig all the time,especially during cold fronts and during winter. i like a 4'' straight tail worm in a natural color like watermelonseed or pumpkinseed. the technique i use is a slow,slow drag, a pause, and then shake that worm for all it's worth. this is where a super soft bait works well. the hookset is a simple pull after you are sure he has the hook in his mouth. hope this helps!!!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 07:58 AM   #3
1FASTLASER

Skeeter

Sounds like you have some drop shot experience. What action rod do you use and normally what hook size do you use. I have been toying with the idea of learing this technique more and could use a little input.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 08:21 AM   #4
Fishie

I use a no 1 dropshot Gama hook and 1/4th once weigth. I would also try shakeyhead rigs.
Old 12-15-05, 09:46 AM   #5
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I prefer a red shad 4 inch worm with 3/16 bullet sinker to finesse with.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-05, 04:58 PM   #6
rrw4258

any particular brand or not? Any kind of special finnese brand of worm or will any worm will work? Thanks

Ryan
Old 12-15-05, 06:17 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

1/8oz bullet t-rigged 4" dead ringer.

3/16oz drop shot weight
laser you definatly need to get the right type of weight with the line cutter tie..

zooker
Old 12-15-05, 10:02 PM   #8
Curado
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A 1/4 oz. or 3/16 oz. shaky head worm.
Old 12-16-05, 07:41 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Preciate the input. I havent found awhole lot of reading material on the dropshot technique and what I have found is really sparse. I got it in my head that this technique would be awesome down here even in these stmp and weed infested waters especially in the hottest part of the summer when everyone else is bombing out after the first hour or so of the day. Being that I have caught some good sized bass on 8 and 10lb test line in rocky waters,catching fish on small lines is not new to me. Just dont horse em in. Definatley gonna start honing my skills with this technique.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 09:49 AM   #10
Mac3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Slo-fall, Deadsticking Finess Presentation

My favorite method is using a 4 inch Razor Worm available at www.buehlersales.com They do the marketing for Luck E Strike lures and the unscented 4 inch Razor is excellent.... I use only two colors, they are grasshopper and the other is black. 95 percent of the time it's grasshopper.

I texpose the worm on a size 1 or 2 Gamakatsu worm hook......really somewhat of a light wire hook. Because of the light hook and line drag when falling, the worm falls horizontally.....a slow flat fall...always fished weightless. 9 times out of 10 the bass grab it on the fall.

Fishing such a light lure weightless, requires a light line, such as 6 pound mono, even 4 at times. I use the 6 lb Berkley XL or the 4 lb Sensation.

Casting.......simply cast to the cover/structure and let it fall completely to bottom. On bottom, let it rest perfectly still for 25 to 30 seconds. If your line still hasn't moved, begin a slow lift off bottom to feel for fish....after lifting the rod tip two feet, and still feeling no fish, give the rod a little flick of the wrist to impart a startled darting action to the lure and let re-fall....again, pause for 15 to 20 seconds this time....lift slowly once again...if nothing on this time, reel back in with a moderate retrieve.

This sounds like labor, going through all the steps, but over the years I've caught a slew of bass. Takes about a minute or a little over for each cast. About the flick of the wrist movement......just flick the rod tip so it travels about 4 inches, you don't want to remove the worm entirely from the area, just want to trigger a reaction strike if one is interested and nearby.

I've added the little twitch to my method just recently after reading a post on nybass.com and am sure that under various circumstances it will probably help at times, even though I've not been out on the water lately.

In current, you will have to use weight....use as little as possible using split shot about 3 feet up the line to allow the lure to waft about in the current....

Good fishing, Mac

On a larger scale, using 6 or 8 lb test line, use exactly the same presentation above, but this time texpose a larger lure on a 2/0 worm hook, weightless. The lure this time is a Zoom Speed Worm in Watermelon/Red with the tail cut off a half inch from the back end. Excellent lure and method.....
Mac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 11:17 AM   #11
skeeter944

i use zoom finesse worms and luck-e-stike has a finesse kit that i bought. the luck-e-strike worms are really tough so i boiled them to make them softer. i use 6 and 8 pound clear line with a medium spinning rod. the hooks i use are live bait style hooks in 3 or 4.i am gonna get some eagle claw lazer sharp finesse hooks after christmas. also a better rod cause my 20 one is starting to give out after 2 years.
Old 12-16-05, 11:20 AM   #12
skeeter944

o,i forgot to tell you what size weight i use. i use a 1/8 or 1/4 ounce bell sinker depending on depth. also try vary the lenght of the tag line depending on what the fish want.
Old 12-16-05, 03:18 PM   #13
rrw4258

Mac3,

I use the same technique mostly at ponds around the area. Just his past spring i caugth a 5.54 pound bass doing this. It was a 4" Black Renegade worm. I love the renegades for this technique, adn also for puitting them on a jig head.

Ryan
Old 12-16-05, 03:37 PM   #14
skeeter944

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
Preciate the input. I havent found awhole lot of reading material on the dropshot technique and what I have found is really sparse. I got it in my head that this technique would be awesome down here even in these stmp and weed infested waters especially in the hottest part of the summer when everyone else is bombing out after the first hour or so of the day. Being that I have caught some good sized bass on 8 and 10lb test line in rocky waters,catching fish on small lines is not new to me. Just dont horse em in. Definatley gonna start honing my skills with this technique.

Try bassdozer.com. awsome website with lots of articles,including a whole section on finesse and dropshot rigs. go to the expert articles on there.
Old 12-16-05, 05:27 PM   #15
PowerBass

i need to work on my finnesee techniques, question do they consider the jig finesse or power baits
Old 12-19-05, 05:55 PM   #16
rrw4258

pb, i dont understand your question re-explain it!

Ryan
Old 12-19-05, 06:33 PM   #17
bassdreamer
BassFishin.Com Member

i think mine would be dragging a 4 inch phenix tube in brown or chartruse and brown.
bassdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-05, 12:56 AM   #18
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Finesse worms. There are a lot of them, I use mostly zoom 4" finesse worm kalins' 4" finesse worm and 4" slider worm from charlie brewer. Finesse fishing however is a much broader category. Tubes, small bass jigs, 6" trickworms wieghtless. I consider these all finesse baits. Basically Finesse fishing to me (IMO) is when the presentation is slow and deliberate, Uses light line (2lb. to 8lb. test) and requires a med.light to ultra light spinning rod to employ.
Drop shotting can be deadly in the winter as well as swimming a worm on a slider head. I've also caught fish t-rigging a finesse worm. Any of these methods can work. But don't expect to have 30 fish days. Somedays you might catch 15 or 20, but there will be more days you get skunked in dead of winter fishing than days you actually catch fish at least if your in missouri or kansas. Rivers I've heard tend to produce better in winter cause the water temperatures stay a little bit higher than lakes here. Don't know if that's true but I've damn well have read it enough times. Then again, I've read even more times the "wind blows bait fish into points". That deffinately isn't true.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.