Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-09, 03:25 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default IB’s Joker Bait

One of my all-time childhood favorite superheroes is Batman, and so I thought I’d make a crankbait with Batman colors. However, I realized that Batman’s colors were a bit dull. I figured his archenemy’s colors (green hair, purple attire, red lips and black eyes, etc.) might make for an interesting choice.

I had a little assistance from the Bush and Obama jokers.

I have no fish catching expectations with this one, but you never know. Don’t know when I’ll get the chance to fish with it.

Painting Techniques:
What techniques?? I still don’t have the skills yet. Both an airbrush and hand brushes were used. The airbrush was used for the green and the purple areas. The eyes and lips were done by hand brush. The crankbait was intentionally painted roughly but unfortunately, the camera didn’t capture those details.

Other:
The bait was carved and shaped from balsa and it has a through wire inside. The top coat is Dev Con 2-Ton epoxy.

This crankbait was enjoyable to make.

-ib
Old 09-16-09, 03:34 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Right before I clicked on this post I saw a documentary on Maya culture and art, and it kinda ties in to the joker thing. Islandbass, I don't think you would be insulted if I called the design hideously interesting and attractive like Mayan art., Whats more, I think the exaggerated paint scheme, especially the pronounced red mouth and huge eyes might be alluring to gamefish and reminiscent of red flaring gills of an exhausted baitfish.
Old 09-16-09, 09:12 AM   #3
Fishnngolfn

In the last picture - What is with the lotion bottle right next to the computer monitor? I take it Basfishin.com is not the only website you are looking at late at night.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 09:16 AM   #4
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
In the last picture - What is with the lotion bottle right next to the computer monitor? I take it Basfishin.com is not the only website you are looking at late at night.

Looks like hand sanitizer to me.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 09:42 AM   #5
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Looks like hand sanitizer to me.
Hey now AUFred. I was trying to mess with islandbass and there you go ruining my fun.
Old 09-16-09, 09:46 AM   #6
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Hey now AUFred. I was trying to mess with islandbass and there you go ruining my fun.
Just giving my opinion.
Of course if there was a box of tissues were nearby all bets would be off.
Old 09-16-09, 10:04 AM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Just giving my opinion.
Of course if there was a box of tissues were nearby all bets would be off.
Lol...

Sorry to derail the thread island bass. Your paint job is a LOT better than what I could do.
Old 09-16-09, 10:09 AM   #8
AUFred

I like the paint job. I think a Superhero series would be great.
I bet "The Flash" would be a good color combination.
Old 09-16-09, 10:38 AM   #9
islandbass

No umbrage taken, WTL. Yep, it is an ugly paint scheme. That was intentional. I don't think that the Joker had a stylist if you know what I mean.

Through my crankbait making experience, I learned that it doesn't have to be painted pretty to catch fish. It kinda "ugly," beautiful.

Fishinngolfin, AuFred called it. It is a bottle of hand sanitizer, and there is a box of kleenex nearby. The picture on my screen is that of my daughter catching a nice rainbow trout.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited by islandbass; 09-16-09 at 01:41 PM.
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 11:32 AM   #10
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It looks cool, I like it. Great job island, keep at it.
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:07 PM   #11
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Personally I think it's pretty darn cool. Not sure how many fish it will catch, but that right there is one heck of a conversation starter. My favorite childhood cartoon was Darkwing Duck. I could see a crankbait similar in style and color, except add orange for the beak, instead of red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dwpose.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	4243  
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 02:08 AM   #12
islandbass

JOKER BAIT UPDATE – 09-16-09 - A Series of Unfortunate and Fortunate Events:

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to give it a test run today after work this evening.

It was unfortunate that it started to rain hard as I approached the lake.

It was fortunate for me that it didn’t matter if it were 15 degrees F outside because nothing was going to stop me from testing it out.

It was unfortunate for me that my haste and excitement made me to neglect setting the cast control knob. It stays super loose whenever the reel is not in use, as does the drag. Thruuwupppp!!!! Yep, it was an overrun. I blamed it on the wind.

Through the grace of God, I was fortunate to quickly undo the bird’s nest. I made the first real cast and the lil’ joker was wiggling beautifully. Yes!!! Another one works correctly!

With about 20’ of retrieve space left, I paused it to see its rate of rise. It rose like a Rapala DT. If Dr. Dre saw it rise, he would have said, “Ahh yeah!”

However, I was unfortunate once again. A bass rose up and committed. But what did I do? D’oh!

Did I follow the advice that I tell others, to let the fish take the crank and impale itself on the treble as I normally do? No… Of course not; with the adrenaline and excitement coursing through my being, I pulled back as one would for a single hook lure hook set. Double D’oh!

I turned the bass’ full commitment into a nip. I felt and saw its lip just nip one of the tines as my action yanked the joker bait away.

I was absolutely disgusted with myself. Victory was within my grasp and I let it slip away.

Fortunately, there will be other opportunities and the joker bait is something the bass will want again.

Unfortunately, this time the joke’s on me, and the bass is laughing all the way to the bank.

-ib
Old 09-17-09, 03:24 AM   #13
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb8fWUUXeKM
Old 09-17-09, 08:38 AM   #14
AUFred

Nice anecdote. Glad it is a success.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.