Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-09, 11:54 PM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Crossover Tactics

A post by cassidyta about walleye hooks got me thinking about crossover tactics or lures that we use for bass but were designed for other species of fish.

For me the best one is using Berkley Walleye nightcrawlers, usually on a shaky head. They only come in natural and black and I've tried both with black being by far the best.

Another one I am using now is a Walleye Assassin 4" Turbo Shad on a swim jig. It is more like a small swimbait but seems to work so far:
http://www.bassassassin.com/c/-Walle...res/CAT-079E1/

One thing that I meant to try this year and have forgotten so far are the Mustad Slow Death hooks. I figured I'd put them on a split shot rig with a swivel: http://www.mustad.no/slowdeath/
and try it with the nightcrawler from above since they are very soft.

What techniques or lures do you use that were designed for other purposes?

Last edited by Bender; 09-15-09 at 10:38 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-09, 12:24 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Flyfishing is a general crossover technique. I really think the dropshot was also borrowed. Spoons may very well have been developed further north. But all those are really just lures that I'm telling you about;

The real story is that across different species of fish, there is usually a general commonality in what draws a strike. Fish across the species boundaries arent as different perhaps as some purists would want to believe., Ive had bad days before, but built momentum on trash fish like gar and bowfin, only to slightly refine the pattern (say move out just a few feet) and start catching bass doing the same thing.
Old 09-25-09, 12:13 PM   #3
Bassboss

I did that with the swimjig a last weekend. I use a yum salt water swimbait, and a 1/4oz gander mt. swimjig. The SJ was white & chartreuse and the swimbait was green and black. I got tons of hits, but even more misses; I need to use smaller swimbaits and a slower action rod for them though. That way I can get a better hook set on 'em. Works reel good though, I'd like to find away to make a trailer hook for it, I'd have to use it places with less vegetation though.
Old 09-25-09, 12:51 PM   #4
zooker

For me I generally cross over the frshwater/salty baits.. like a x-rap or the bandit 300 spinnerbaits and such.. The bootailed shad body bein the biggy..

zooker
Old 09-25-09, 01:37 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bassboss, I just thought of using a G-Stinger hook as a trailer and searched for it. Turns out Gammy also suggests it: http://www.gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_gsting.htm
I will try that tomorrow too since I also have a lot of misses on swim jigs. Not quite sure where to put it on the hook though. Maybe on the top with the hook point going down and buried in the plastic. The best thing about the swim jig is that it comes through all types of weed and wood and I don't want to lose that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.