Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-11, 06:51 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crooked swimming Storm swimbaits

I like the various sizes of the Storm Swimbaits which come with weight and hook already mounted in each bait, but I have been finding only about one out of four swims straight. I have tried to tweak the hook/weight various ways with no impact, they either swim to my left or right, sometimes pretty severely as I bring them in. Was wondering if others are having or have had this issue, and if maybe anybody knows how to 'tune' one of these baits. Here is an example of them: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Storm...cpage-SWE.html
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 07:10 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hmmmmm, I never owned one but have thought about buying a couple. I wonder where they are made?
Old 07-06-11, 07:20 PM   #3
Fish30114

I wonder too, figure pacific rim somewhere, they are owned by Rapala or whoever owns Rapala, and they are darn productive baits, I really like them, but they seem to be getting worse on the swimming sideways lately....I usually pick them up at Dick's when I'm low, haven't ordered any from TW but was going to....there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, but I like them so much I am trying to figure it out. I have caught a lot of nice fish with them with varying techniques, everything from a steady retrieve, to jigging style to actually bumping them along the bottom. I twitch them sometimes while on a steady retrieve and vary the speed of the retrieve as well, and have caught everything from dinks to nice fish with them, my favorites are the shad, bluegill and baby bass. I'd give them a try despite my current issues FWIW

Last edited by Fish30114; 07-06-11 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 07:30 PM   #4
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

I like them a lot too, if you referring to the wild-eye minnow? Mine do it too. I have tried tying knot on other side of eye hook lol. But yea, they swim almost like a current is pushing them to the side
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 07:44 PM   #5
Fish30114

yeah Vol, that's them--look at the link to double confirm--Wild Eye Swim Shad they call em, but I didn't have this issue at all last year, probably went through 30 of the rascals. I bought them at Dick's also last year, so I was wondering if they new ones had some sort of issue.....it's really tricky if your fishing on the right side of some structure and they want to swim right--away from your target zone!! I've had 2 in a pack do it, and one swim straight--hacks me off !!
Old 07-06-11, 07:52 PM   #6
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only way that I know to fix that is by inserting a small nail in the opposite side. I use brad nails and cut them to size. The issue is that the weight is seldom centered on their bodies.

I will say that it is good to have a couple that swim to the side. Mark them and then use them to swim under the dock or into the structure.
Old 07-06-11, 07:58 PM   #7
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
yeah Vol, that's them--look at the link to double confirm--Wild Eye Swim Shad they call em, but I didn't have this issue at all last year, probably went through 30 of the rascals. I bought them at Dick's also last year, so I was wondering if they new ones had some sort of issue.....it's really tricky if your fishing on the right side of some structure and they want to swim right--away from your target zone!! I've had 2 in a pack do it, and one swim straight--hacks me off !!

Yep, thats them. I have 4 packs. 3 to each and so far they have all did the same. I got mine from wal-mart, so it must be something they are doing at the company. Like the person above said, must be off centered weight? I still use them though
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:11 PM   #8
Garry2rs

Check your knot.
If it is not centred the bait is pulled to the side.
Try a loop knot...
Add a split-ring...
Slow down your retrieve...
I find many soft plastic swimbaits are very speed sensitive.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 09:29 PM   #9
Fish30114

Cass, thanks--that's interesting enough--but I ain't gonna be trying to stick any nails in mine I figure the molds or something must be worn, all the ones I had last year swam straight.....I may try to find a similar one that swims right. Marking them is a good idea though, if you need to swim them one way or another into cover or whatever. I was hoping somebody might know how to fix em--just boil em in water or some such

I may try a few packs from TW and see how they swim, the bigger ones seem to be a little less 'crooked swimming' than the little ones.....Garry, good thoughts, I hadn't even thought about a split ring, have tried moving the knot....loop knot didn't help at all, but we were on the same thought process there. I'm gonna try a split ring just because!
Old 07-08-11, 12:42 PM   #10
cbwalls
BassFishin.Com Member

Fish - I have found the same thing on the last two packs I have bought. Switching knots didn't work for me but the split ring idea is not bad. I may give that a try as well. Keep us posted if you find something that works.
cbwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 02:33 PM   #11
Fish30114

Hey CB, I tried the split ring this morning, didn't help....on another note, I'm not convinced it's the weight in the Storms' being off centered either after this morning, reason being, I have some swimbaits I purchased, which are pretty cool--I'll try and post a link, but long story short, they come without a hook or weight, and I am fishing them either with a jighead type hook or a weighted Gammy 'swimbait' hook, and I am definitely NOT getting them centered when I rig them all the time, and they swim just fine in terms of straightness...still miffed, I really like the color and selection on the Storm stuff.

Here is the link to DOA lures: http://www.doalures.com/Store/
The ones I am using are the CAL 3" Shad Tail, just wish they had larger versions in that style....they are darn productive though--I bought some of their 'terror eyes' and their 'chug heads' didn't like either of those products at all, the 'terror eyes' has no action at all, and while it may work in salt water, it stinks for fresh water fishing. The chug heads are just not very high in quality, and not as good as a dedicated chug type bait (popper or whatever)

I'm going to send an e-mail to Storm just because, and see if I get a response.....

Last edited by Fish30114; 07-09-11 at 02:41 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.