Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-07, 01:25 PM   #1
merlyn3248
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Citica questions ?

I have a couple of questions in regard to the new version of the Shimano Citica:

1. How light of lure will it effectively cast?

2. How does its casting distance compare to other reels, given same rod and lure?

3. How durable and reliable is it proving to be?

Thanks, Lonnie
merlyn3248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 07:37 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lure casting ability and distance depends on the quality of the line,line diameter, rod length and lure weight, possible wind and wihd direction can effect the ability of the reels casting performance.The possibilities are endless.

Yes, the citica is proven to be reliable and very durable, within the guide lines of normal use.

Most likey would not hold up well being used as a hammer, boat anchor, wheel chock.....

Sorry for having fun with your post and Welcome to Kevin's site.Kevin is not Kevin Van Dam.He is perhaps the greatest non known bass fisherman in the world.Driven to be the best bass fisherman, best bass website provider....... I am sure the Citica would be good for most lure presentations.

Hey Kevin, How many brownie points do I get for that post ?

P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 09:28 PM   #3
Raul

Aside to what P&J said, most non finesse oriented reels can cast well 1/4 and up baits, but less than 1/4 not good, doesn´t mean they won´t cast sub 1/4 oz baits but the performance is poor, try to go lighter and the performance worsens.

Can you cast a 1/16 oz bait with a non finesse/small lure application reel ? yes you can, I sure can, got enough practice thumbing the spool and tweaking with the brake settings to the point I can but all that tweaking and thumbing is not worth all the trouble for casting 20 ft away, you can cast with a lot less trouble 3 times fold with a spinning reel.

If you want to cast light baits with a BC get a finesse BC reel ( Sol, Chronarch 50/51 Mg, Curado 100/101D ), the spool in those reels is further lightened, has a larger inner diameter which allows you to initiate the rotation of the spool with less weight and less effort. Add to that a good low viscosity oil to the bearings ( like Rocket Fuel, Shimano or Daiwa bearing oil ) and the reel is ready.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-07, 09:42 PM   #4
bassinbob

I can answer some of your questions. I would compare it IMO with the older Curado. I haven't thrown anything lighter than a Horny toad on braid with it. I would say casting distance on my 7ft frog rod is sufficient. I wouldn't think casting lightweight baits with your choice of line would be a reason not to get one. I am satisfied with the reel. I wouldn't say I gave it a hard workout but using it everyday for a week and maybe 20 or so other outings it hasn't given me any problems. Seeing how long the older Curados last I am sure the Citica will last as long with proper maintinance. I don't want to hijack but the Revo stx I have blows the Citica away IMO. Talk about casting distance. People sometimes say wait to see how they perform before investing in something new. With the current rebate the Citica is a good bet. If you want to spend more try a Revo stx.
Old 12-18-07, 09:44 PM   #5
bassinbob

Great answer Raul. Learn something new every day.
Old 12-19-07, 10:39 AM   #6
merlyn3248
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks for input

Thanks for the input. I have used baitcasters for years, and agree even a well built reel is only going to be as good as how it is treated and maintained. That is one thing I am fussy about anyway. I like to keep things clean and lubed.

Thanks
merlyn3248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-07, 12:20 PM   #7
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlyn3248 View Post
Thanks for the input. I have used baitcasters for years, and agree even a well built reel is only going to be as good as how it is treated and maintained. That is one thing I am fussy about anyway. I like to keep things clean and lubed.

Thanks
clean and lubed???? There is a joke in there somewhere.... Hmmm
Old 12-20-07, 02:14 PM   #8
MississippiBoy

Don't do it, brush...STOP!!!
Our only hope is maybe JB won't see it...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.