Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-07, 11:45 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default PNJ's

Well, this weekend I am going to Cabela's and I am going to pick up a few jigs. The brands I have been eyeing are the:

1)Mann's Stone Jig
2)Stanley Platinum Flat Eye Jig
3)SPRO Prime Bucktail Jigs
4)Strike King Pro Model and...
5)Lil' Hustler Muskie Swim Jig

I really like the "Perch" and "White Mirage" #5 Jig and the "Mikes Special" #1 Jig. These jig colros may seem erratic, but these jigs are for very, very, very muddy water. I'm talkin clay bottom and 5" visibility; SE Michigan. I'm going to set brush piles there in the 5-8' range this Spring after ice-out. These jigs should kill in muddy water.

I'm also looking at "Watermelon/Brown" and "Camo" #2 Jig. These jigs are for a really clear lake, 6-10' visibility. I've had luck at this lake with the browns and greens , and I lost all my other jigs to a "user error", need some new ones.

If you want, here's the site to check out the color patterns:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20166

I have $50, and the baitmonkey is free! Wahhhh-hoooooo...

-LL-
Old 12-14-07, 05:07 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

LL, The water I fish may not be that muddy, but my favorite PNJ would have to be a black and blue jig with a black Zoom Ultravibe trailer. Make sure the jigs oyu get have rattle for your muddy water. I'd also try the Ultravibe trailers if I were you.

One time, I was about 25 feet awayf rom my pond and I casted my jig to see how far into the pond I could get it. As I was reeling in, when the bait was about 5 or 6' fomr shore, a saw a wake coming from about 5' down the shore. when my jig was less from a foot from shore, it and the bass met. I just reeled and pulled the bass on shore till I got down ot the pond. It was funny.
(this was on my black and blue w/ black trailer PNJ)

BB
Old 12-14-07, 09:20 PM   #3
lunker-lander

If you looked BB, that Lil' Hustler Jig in "Perch" color looks killer for Lake Hudson. You know how muddy she can get. BTW, this is the lake I am going to set piles, so watch out bass!

-LL-
Old 12-14-07, 11:17 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Where you planning on setting them in hudson, I wouldn't mine givin them a try. Cause where the baitfish are, there are bass. where bass are, there are musky!

Are sure it's legal to dump stuff like that in there since it's a state owned lake?

BB
Old 12-14-07, 11:20 PM   #5
BigBassin144

LL, I just went and looked at those jigs. I have the White Mirage color. that perch is just firetiger. I'm sure it'd be good though. I either put 2-3 10" ribbontail worms on it or one of them white giant shad things they got.
Old 12-15-07, 05:26 PM   #6
pig n jig

It really wouldn't matter what colors you like for muddy water.It has more to do with putting the jig tight to cover and saturating the peice of cover with multiple presentations.Its easier to choose isolated solid objects, such as a log, a big chunk rock, boat lifts and permament docks and reataining walls.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-07, 07:34 PM   #7
BigBassin144

I'm still wondering since Lake Hudson is state owned, is it legal to sink brush and stuff like that in there.

By the way LL, You ever Ice fish in Hudson? If so, What do you fish for and catch? My dad was wondering because he wanted to go up there this winter.

BB
Old 12-15-07, 07:46 PM   #8
lunker-lander

Well, I got those jigs, although my local Cabela's did not have the Muskie Swim Jigs and the Stanley Hotflash's. The jigs I did get include:

>Stanley Platinum Flat Eye Rattler; Black and Chartruese 1/2OZ
>Outkast Pro Staff Jig; Baby Bass 1/2OZ
>Strike King Premier Bleeding Pro Model Jig; Black/Blue/Red Accent 1/2OZ
>Strike King Premier Bleeding Pro Model Jig; White/Red Accent 3/8OZ
>Outkast Pro Staff Jig; Mustard 3/8OZ
>Mann's Stone Jig; Green Crwadad 1/2OZ
>Bagley Shaky Heads; Brown 1/4OZ

I also picked up the new, featured in In-Fisherman, DT FAT3, made by Rapala. This is in the "Hot Mustard" color. The other crank I got was a Rapala Shad Rap, SSR7, in Firetiger.

-LL-
Old 12-15-07, 07:48 PM   #9
lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm still wondering since Lake Hudson is state owned, is it legal to sink brush and stuff like that in there.

By the way LL, You ever Ice fish in Hudson? If so, What do you fish for and catch? My dad was wondering because he wanted to go up there this winter.

BB
Yeah, last year after school one day, me and my buddy got out and caught about 30 yellow perch in the 5-10" range. My buddy's dad caught one perch last year about 17" long, it was a sow! C'mon down sometime and we'll go...

-LL-
Old 12-15-07, 07:49 PM   #10
pig n jig

LL, Your building quite the arsenal. P N J
Old 12-15-07, 07:52 PM   #11
lunker-lander

You should hear Mom's take on the subject!

BTW, I'll take a pic of all the jigs tonight and post them tonight/tom. morning.

-LL-
Old 12-15-07, 09:14 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Naturals on top; exotics on the bottom:

-LL-
Old 12-16-07, 06:54 AM   #13
pig n jig

LL, I can see you took the time to organize the jigs accordingly for your picture.

Can you tell me why you bought all different colors and brands of jigs ?

If your fishing muddy water, color really doesn't matter anyway, but the type of jig can help you .

In muddy water, I want that jig to be knocking the hard structured object I am fishing as you present the jig as tight to the cover as you can get it.

I would be choosing big objects, in muddy water the fish will hold to the biggest part of structure they have available.If for some reason they are not holding there, then I would start looking in areas over hard bottomed stretches.The reason is some times the water can be extremely muddy on top , but the bottom water layer might have clean water .

The Manns stone jig can easily be skipped under objects, under docks, over hanging willow trees....I would try skipping it on a spinning outfit for less troubles managing the line.

You bought 2 different types of hook styles.Thw heavy wire round bend will stay buttoned up with alot of rod pressure, the thin wire wide gap hooks on the outkast will get easy hook point penetration with mono lines, but I have had a more difficult time when using that type of hook. The thin wire tears a big hole when you have a big fish on trying to keep it out of troubled areas and secondly, I have had alot of fish come unbuttoned on that style of hook, but it could be user error. I am so used to the heavy shank hooks holding so well, I probably horse them harder than I should. P N J
Old 12-16-07, 07:10 AM   #14
pig n jig

For those who think color matters (Lizards ) I like green pumpkin color. It blends in well with the surrounding color where I fish. Black /blue and black/ red skirts work well because it has a contrasting colors that will work in any water color, or light conditions well. Its not to say you have to be restricted to those colors to have contrasting colors.You can do that by placing a different colored trailer than the skirt color your using. As a rule I hardly ever match my trailer/skirt color, due to the fact of needing different trailer types to change the rate of fall, since I basically use 1/2 oz and 1 oz. jigs all of the time , ( This is for you Lizardsrule) except when fall fishing. I use a 3/8 oz. brown craw colored jig with matching crawfish colored baby paca craw trailer.

Of course , everyone knows that I am not always correct . P N J
Old 12-16-07, 02:41 PM   #15
lunker-lander

Q:"Can you tell me why you bought all different colors and brands of jigs ?"
-P N J

A:Well, the only reason I bought different brands was because all the colors I wanted did not come in the size of the brand jig I wanted.

Ie: I wanted a "Natural" color of the Stanley Platinum Hotflash, which they(Cabela's)did not have. So, I had to buy my "Naturals" in the Outkast and and Stone Jig brands.

Q:"You bought 2 different types of hook styles.Thw heavy wire round bend will stay buttoned up with alot of rod pressure, the thin wire wide gap hooks on the outkast will get easy hook point penetration with mono lines, but I have had a more difficult time when using that type of hook. The thin wire tears a big hole when you have a big fish on trying to keep it out of troubled areas and secondly, I have had alot of fish come unbuttoned on that style of hook, but it could be user error. I am so used to the heavy shank hooks holding so well, I probably horse them harder than I should."
-P N J

A:As for the hook size/shape, I don't know, I don't really pay attention unless it's finesse. If it fits the general bulk/size of the jig, in the cart she goes. Also, if the jigs are not made with Owner, Gamakatsu, or Mustad, they rarely find my rods...

I also made sure to buy jigs with a rattle for the muddy Lake Hudson. I'm going to take some pics of her this year and let you Guys tell me what you think...

-LL-
Old 12-16-07, 03:44 PM   #16
pig n jig

I just thought I would pick on you. Seeing that you can take constructive critism. One thing you might look to do in the future is buy a few different weight selections as well, it looks like what you have is all 1/2 oz ? The rate of fall is more important than having a rattle on it.Whether the jig has a rattle on it or not, the bass knows when something just fell through the water near them.I usually have the rattles broken off with use I like getting jigs to fall as close to objects as I can.I feel the less effort they have to go through to bite the jig, the better chance I have of catching more fish.Don't be afraid of pitching the jigs in the heart of the nastiest stuff you can find.Again, I would rather get the bite and lose the fish, because I couldn't bring it out of the heavy cover , than not get bit at all.I seldom lose a jig throwing to heavy cover, the toothy critters such as pike and pickerel will take a few each year, their teeth will cut 50 lb braid like its made of butter. P N J
Old 12-17-07, 10:46 AM   #17
BigBassin144

LL, Hudson is not, by any means, a clean lake. I'd take PNJ's advice on which jigs to choose.

Which Cabela's do you go to? I'm assuming it's the one in Dundee. If so, they do have the musky jig. If you're standing hwere the bass jigs are. look towards the back wall at all the huge Musky baits. They're in there, you just gotta look.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.