Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-11, 07:44 AM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default MississippiBoy and Bender

How do you guys like your new Nikon 3100 cameras? I got the itch.
Old 07-04-11, 10:09 AM   #2
Bender

I really, really like it. I've picked up a few more lenses recently too. A 50mm f1.8 Nikon that I use a lot and it was relatively cheap. I also just bought a 70-300 Sigma lens and a kit to use Holga lenses.

I don't know if other Nikons have an internal motor for auto-focus or not, but the 3100 does not. So if you want AF to work you need to make sure that lenses you buy have an internal motor. The 50mm lens I bought does not so it is manual focus only. That is the only possible downside to the camera that I have found so far.

I made a website and put some photos up if you want to chek it out: http://bender16v.com/ Only a couple of the photos have had any photoshop or editing done to them, almost all are straight from the camera. I need to update the site with some new ones and add a way to see some of the older photos from May.

Overall I really like the camera but it is an expensive hobby. The 18-55mm lens that comes on the camera is good for most everything too.

Edit: I added an Archive page but for May you still have to click "Older Posts" to see them all. I'll try to fix that so they all show up.

Last edited by Bender; 07-04-11 at 10:28 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 12:50 PM   #3
bcklash

Thanks Bender. I couldn't decide between the Nikon and a Canon EOS Rebel T2i and Debi already has a Canon and some lenses I went with Canon. I hope I made the right choice.
Old 07-04-11, 01:06 PM   #4
Bender

I'm sure it will be great. I think there might even be more lenses and stuff available for Canon. It seems that way when I'm looking around. Have fun with it. I think it is addicting and have probably used mine more than I have fished recently.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 03:30 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

It's my first SLR camera, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really like it so far. We have the 18-55 mm lens that comes with it, and a 55-200 mm we bought at the same time. Like Bender said, the only downside is the lack of an autofocus motor. So far, that hasn't affected me since both lenses have a motor, but if or when I get more lenses, my options will probably be a little limited. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 18-200 mm so we won't have to keep swapping back and forth, but $$$$$$$.....
I know this camera will do a lot more than I know how to do yet.
Old 07-04-11, 04:55 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Thanks Bender. I couldn't decide between the Nikon and a Canon EOS Rebel T2i and Debi already has a Canon and some lenses I went with Canon. I hope I made the right choice.
You did.

When looking, I did like the Canon better and the deciding factor for me was my uncle shoots Canon and I can borrow his lenses.

BB
Old 07-04-11, 05:04 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
You did.

When looking, I did like the Canon better and the deciding factor for me was my uncle shoots Canon and I can borrow his lenses.

BB
I thought your uncle Nofear had a Nikon. Make no mistake about it I ain't going to borrow her lenses, I'm going to steal them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.