Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-11, 10:31 PM   #1
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default camera batteries

Looking for an extra battery, mine has a LP-E5 7.4V 1000mAh. The one below is an after market 7.4V 2000mAh. Is this ok? Whats the difference? Thanks Bcklash

Old 07-06-11, 10:30 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ron, mAh are milliamp hours. Generally, the bigger the number, the long the battery will last at the same output as a lower mAh battery. So say your 100mAh battery puts out 10mAh (or 10 milliamps per hour), it would under perfect conditions last 100 hours. While the 2000mAh battery with the same output under the same perfect conditions would last 200 hours.

Is the battery you're looking at also a Canon brand battery? If not, let me share my experience with aftermarket, off brand batteries. Almost a year ago, I was in search of an extra batter or two for my camera. Since the Canon battery ran $50-75 at the time (I believe mine is also the LP-E5), I bought a pair of off brand batteries for $7-8 a piece. Needless to say, they worked great for a while, but now they hardly hold a charge for a day of shooting while my Canon LP-E5 is nearly as good as new.

BB
Old 07-06-11, 10:40 AM   #3
nofearengineer

^+1

In addition, cheap batteries may rupture, or even ignite, destroying your camera in the process. And it will not be covered by warranty.

The battery that came with my Nikon is top notch...seems to last forever. I would buy the same again.
Old 07-06-11, 11:17 AM   #4
bcklash

Thanks BB and Nofear. I think I just buy another Canon battery.
Old 07-06-11, 11:22 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Ron, the cheapest Canon LP-E5 I have found is here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...n_Battery.html

BB
Old 07-06-11, 07:38 PM   #6
Marty

Certainly you can't go wrong buying another Canon battery. My experience has been better with my Panasonic. I bought several inexpensive batteries over two years ago and they've been just as good as the Panasonic.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.