Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 10-13-11, 09:41 AM   #1
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Electronics of different varieties

We have discussed your boat electronics hummingbird versus lowrance..
Me myself i like lowrance better. So heres this topic. Many of us use our electronics on the boat and we dont travel much... but Kevin did a video on "geological advantage" i dont recall him bringing up anything about plugging in your electronics into your computer and saveing waypoints ect on your computer. Ive heard of ways to use your computer and look at contour lines vs google maping software and finding "key" fishing locations how do you all go about doing this?

Second question... Mac vs Pc. if you were going to do all this fishing stuff from your computer is it more usable for the PC or does the company who makes the electronics make programs for both computers?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 10:41 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think pc as more programs aimed at win basics,enc,hydrografx,map create 6 or 7,a whole slew of topo based freeware,and a lot of marine some free some not garmin being a major supplier of g maps.
Most is or what can be viewed on a computer cannot be used other than to up load waypoints to say a marine unit,a few older units lowrance like global map see bmp(map create 7).
Most underwater features lacking,enc one can however change that somewhat depending upon brand but not freeware.
While almost all can be hooked to a comp with the proper connector they cant go back both ways other than gps coordinates in many cases or if saved then wont run a waypoint chip or route chip.Again enc is of some help but not free.
So hands down pc not mac.
But all in all topo is lacking on the water and the water marine is somewhat lacking in topo.And if it were easy to copy one to another no one would ever need to buy a chip.
It is possible to do so,with experience,and money as the software isnt cheap.Just my 2 cents
Turn the unit on when you leave the house it will then track to destination ,one can save and upload to a comp to view,but not much after that unless want to save waypoints on the marine unit.Operates just as a land gps unit in that respect.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-13-11 at 10:51 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 11:10 AM   #3
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

I would like to ask about the geographical video that Kevin did.

I watched it about a month ago. Already had google earth so I was more interested in the other programs that you used to overlay to create the contour maps but when I went to the site it was all changed and nothing seemed to work following the directions in the video so i assume the sites have changed since his vid. Has anyone recently found this to be true and if so am I just in the wrong place or has everything changed or been blocked?

I agree with mule, You can't use pc/mac software to set up waypoints to a depth finder unless the mfg had said software.

Thanks
Old 10-13-11, 11:22 AM   #4
lilmule

Id like to see it as well,interested just as you are as to what programs were used to overlap.
As for google earth also wonder how often its updated as put a small pond in 4 years ago and cannot see it but can the tree line next to it.So either not live or just doesnt see some things.
Old 10-13-11, 12:39 PM   #5
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Google Earth is constantly updating their maps, so you never know. A year ago, the shot of my house was over a year old,(so it would be 2+ years old now), but it has since been updated, and from the best I can tell is from the spring of last year. To answer Handlebars, yes, I had the same problem, and believe they did update sites, but I still managed to work things out, and by the way the vid is "Geospatial", not "Geographical" I think. I was thinking about this all the other night searching Google Earth, and with our discussion about KVD's electronics, and other discussions...was just wondering when it will all be connected, and we will have laptops on our boats, that link all the sonars, maps, and trolling motor together???
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 07:30 AM   #6
Bender

It's been a while since I watched the video, but I don't think that he discussed Dr. Depth. I have not used it, but you can make recordings on your unit then upload them to your pc and use this software to create your own, real contour maps. I should have bought this a long time ago, on some local lakes I'd like to have better contour maps.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-11, 08:51 AM   #7
Handlebars
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
I had the same problem, and believe they did update sites, but I still managed to work things out, and by the way the vid is "Geospatial", not "Geographical" I think. I was thinking about this all the other night searching Google Earth, and with our discussion about KVD's electronics, and other discussions...was just wondering when it will all be connected, and we will have laptops on our boats, that link all the sonars, maps, and trolling motor together???
Yep you are right on the geo thing. I was too lazy to look it up. LoL.

I don't think it will be as long as any of us think. Thats only around the corner, its really not that far away with what we have technology wise now. I think we will see super bass boats that have in-dash computers with pull out keyboards that are internet ready to find any online info you want or order pizza. You can practically do that now with an i-pad and mobile internet connection. As fast as things change it probably won't be too many years before side imaging as we now know it will be obsolete with something better out as fast as everything changes.

Wait til we have Northstar:

Yes sir can I help you? Yea I'm trying to find a steep ledge on the east side of Lake fishman where there is supposed to be an underwater bridge structure. Just a moment sir, Yes sir here it is on the real time satellite sonar deep imagery map just below a nice thermocline. I'll send these coordinates to your GPS and the Auto Pilot will take you there. Thank you & good luck today sir.

LoL!
Old 10-14-11, 09:00 AM   #8
lilmule

I imagine due to initial cost,what your reference to is a linked system,seeing with sonar drawing with pc a map.
Already a commercial project as well but quite limited to Ky and Barkley lakes
http://www.hydrografx.com/store/ one of the reasons you cannot buy or borrow or steal a high detailed map of either as hold the patent,unless from them.
Most of the chip maps are just copies of noaa some containing more detail then others with a changed format so your gps unit can see it,other wise available online in bitmap.
They didnt go out and remap all those lakes to put them on chips done with in some cases with 60 year old data.
Old 10-14-11, 06:01 PM   #9
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
It's been a while since I watched the video, but I don't think that he discussed Dr. Depth. I have not used it, but you can make recordings on your unit then upload them to your pc and use this software to create your own, real contour maps. I should have bought this a long time ago, on some local lakes I'd like to have better contour maps.
Holy CRAP...that looks cool. I think it would be soooo cool to map out my local 180 acre pit.
Old 10-16-11, 04:22 AM   #10
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I was looking forward to a side scan for several reasons. I though and correct me if im wrong. I wanted to be able to be on the water and make recordings that I could take out of the unit (the SD card) and plug into my computer and then sit back with a beer and go over the recording and mark specific things that caught my eye. Am I wrong?
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 06:12 PM   #11
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Otherthan the incredible coverage, the ability to use SD cards and take snap shots is definitely a plus of SI. But, and this is a big but, can you alter, or "mark" the shots afterwards, at home on you PC, then have those "spots" when you get back to the water?
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11, 07:17 PM   #12
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Otherthan the incredible coverage, the ability to use SD cards and take snap shots is definitely a plus of SI. But, and this is a big but, can you alter, or "mark" the shots afterwards, at home on you PC, then have those "spots" when you get back to the water?
Absolutely. You just have to be recording as you go, which can fill up a small card fairly quickly. Just buy a big memory card, or several small ones, and you're good to go.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.