Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-27-04, 10:57 PM   #1
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default refresh a faded mind

it has been some 15 years since i got wet in a river. i plan on fishing sunday on the mighty yadkin. i have never fished -for bass-in the river. i am going to run about 18 miles up stream to a large /major fork then work back. in case you are wondering the yadkin is a tad smaller then the white in ark-jag - where would be a good starting point . currant breaks would be my first choice but then again maybe not...some help would be great...

zilla shut up!!! in advance

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 11:03 PM   #2
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1
Default Re: refresh a faded mind

Sorry, can't help you there, I've only fished creeks and small rivers.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 01:05 AM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

Look for rocks, current and deep water. If you can find all 3 in one place, fish it closely. Shallow water might hold more bass, but deep water seems to have larger bass. I always fish the prime current breaks, but for every current break you see there are 1000 that you don't see. If you have heavy current going over a bottom that has any type of bolders or rocks or holes, that will have all the breaks a fish will need.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 02:14 AM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

The outside of a bend will have the deeper water, but don't neglect the flats on the inside, especially if they have any cover at all.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 06:01 AM   #5
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

when i was a kid we took a little ride in a crop duster just snapping photos. well one photo showed a section of river we had been down i the canoes but had no luck finding any good fishing. the deep holes and many current breaks were very obviouse in the photo. we tried a few and had much better luck. wound up going back up and photo mapping the emtire section of river. course we was very low tech back then no fish finder or anything. ;D
definatley got work alot harder to keep lines tight and its a hole different game keeping bait at specific depths in the current.
same structures hold the fish. especially the edges inbetween quiet water and faster current. big lazy fish lie there in the quiet water and watch the fater water for food comeing by. they spend less energy that way than swimming the current fish down the current along the break then into the eddys, bait moving against the current looks very un-natural. I think its harder in a river to get reaction strikes, fish are used to things moving throught there area.
if river is slow watch for anything that puts oxygen in water. below rapids rocks bridge pilings etc are good starting points.
definatly watch shoreline for types of food available to fish insects, frogs, baitfish.
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 07:12 AM   #6
lil_bill_dance
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lil_bill_dance

Blue/Black Jig 1/2+ blow downs,small cuts, Current breaks for sure. Try downriver cut points. Also look for cuts w/underwater bridge at entrance, fish across them with crankbaits.
lil_bill_dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 08:31 AM   #7
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Well,well, well the all mighty and powerful Zook has come to a fork in the river has he? Â*(lmao)

Look for eddies, back side of bends and structure. the eddies between the fork will have big fish waiting for down stream bait fish. Fish anything sticking out from the banks. Just remember they are going to be lazy there not going to swim in the current for food they will wait for it to swim by, find the lazy spots and yank them out! :P

Good luck buddy!

Â*Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 10:42 AM   #8
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

Actually, I just rememberred, I have fished rivers before. Â*I went to a spot where there was a bend in the river and it went from about five feet to about ten feet real fast, and just before the river bended there was a big downed tree in the water. Â*I just fished where the water was deeper and where the structure was with a red shad culprit 7.5in worm. Â*I caught five bass in about hour 15m minutes, and I had a 7lb bass that I got to shore and then spat out the hook.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 12:56 PM   #9
jeff_in_roch
BassFishin.Com Member

Caj is right Zook, hit the channel side if ya want the deep water. use your electronics extensively and find sudden changes in the bottom. I personally would try and find some "slack" water.....the big boyz aint gonna expend anymore energy than neccesary to eat as hot as it's been.

Good luck
Stevo
jeff_in_roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 02:11 PM   #10
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

well i was going to fish it sunday i went to the river launch .i could not back a jon boat in to the launch..just no water. this river is a big slow on top type job with about a 5-6 mph under tow.i was wanting to fish a couple old abutments that it has.one has a ceder tree growing on it 20 " through-been their a while- it has a bunch of islands and slack areas-i duck hunt it a lot...
as with any sizable river. it is not to safe to run in the dark. i do it just not with my bass boat.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 08-28-04, 02:15 PM   #11
DARRYL_B
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to DARRYL_B

Ok. youre gonna need a net, a bucket, and some dynamite...
DARRYL_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 02:29 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

crown i never said i could not get there just i hate to try and fight my way through/over/round the log jam under the i-85 bridge. it is about 15 feet high all the way acrossed.

besides ya have to stand up to use a net two words quick sand

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Old 08-29-04, 04:09 PM   #13
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I haven't been up that far. Been up to 85 but that was it. I'll check around and see what I can find out.

Bassnman30
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.