Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-22-04, 09:20 PM   #1
bassinjn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinjn
Default Buzzbaits

Getting ready to buy some buzzbaits. Never used them before so any input is welcome. Thanks
bassinjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:57 PM   #2
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: Buzzbaits

For your highest-percentage of getting something, fish them under lower light conditions over shallow cover. You can vary the speed, but lots of times it's good to reel them as slowly as you can while still keeping them on the surface.

I'm one of a number of anglers who engage the reel and start the retrieve just before the lure hits the water, so it starts right out on the surface without sinking first.

I always use a trailer hook with them.

Good luck.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:07 PM   #3
bassinjn
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bassinjn

Any particular brand of buzzbaits I should be looking for? Thanks
bassinjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:54 PM   #4
bassfisher14
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The ones that I buy are the ones that they sell at wally world for a buck each. The only problem I have had with mine since I started buying them is the paint chipping off the head, but other than that, they work perfect.
bassfisher14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:57 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

buy buzz king they are real durable. u can get them at wallmart for 3.00 i think alittle pricy but i think its worth it
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:03 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

When you get the buzzbaits also get some trailer hooks. Â*You don't neccessarily need to get hooks that are packaged as trailer hooks-just some about the same size as the main hook with an eye big enough for the point of the main hook to go through. Â*If you go that route use a hole punch on a plastic coffee can lid and after you put the trailer hook on the main hook punch the point of the main hook through one of the plastic disks and slide it down the shank of the hook. Â*Colorwise I use white during the day and black at night. I alwaus use a trailer hook on a buzzbait. You will be surprised how many fish you will get on the trailer hook.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:25 PM   #7
spinnerbaitking
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spinnerbaitking

what is it about the desing that makes the trailer so effective. why arent they made with trailers allready if it makes them so much better? just trying to understand.
spinnerbaitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 11:29 PM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Marty link=board=news;num=1093220409;start=0#1 date=08/22/04 at 20:57:00]For your highest-percentage of getting something, fish them under lower light conditions over shallow cover. You can vary the speed, but lots of times it's good to reel them as slowly as you can while still keeping them on the surface.[/quote]

I've always had better luck at a faster speed than slower, it's just me, and my preference.

Quote:
I'm one of a number of anglers who engage the reel and start the retrieve just before the lure hits the water, so it starts right out on the surface without sinking first.
I think that's the best way to start the retrieve.

Quote:
I always use a trailer hook with them.

Good luck.
I rarely use a trailer hook, probably goes back to the speed issue. I think they are 100% reaction when it's flying by, but the slower you go the more time they have a chance to make a choice to see it and stop. This of couse is just my opinion. As for what brand, it makes no difference to me, I prefer the 2 props models. I've stated this numerous times, and I'll state it again, if it makes noise, and it stays on top of the water, it will work.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:10 AM   #9
bassguy2004

I have both the double blade and the triple blade. The double has to be worked faster to keep it on top. The triple can be worked slower to work. But they have to squeek and make racket to be effecient, and by all means use a trailer hook. Lunker Buzz work really well but I don't know if lthey are still manufactured.
Old 08-23-04, 02:11 AM   #10
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=basshntr link=board=news;num=1093220409;start=0#2 date=08/22/04 at 21:07:19]Any particular brand of buzzbaits I should be looking for? Thanks [/quote]

www.retrieverlures.com

As good as they get.

Don't kill me guys, he asked, i answered.

And i agree with lizard, i prefer to fish em fast. I also like to tune em to run into obects on the retrieve, it really can trigger some incredible strikes.And i ALWAYS put a plastic trailer on mine.

Good luck.
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 12:23 AM   #11
lmartinez
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to lmartinez

Firetiger skirts are killing over here wether on a spinnerbait or buzzbait.
lmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 01:04 PM   #12
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

I like "Boogerman" buzz baits. The seem to run correct, fast or slow. The trailer hook is so that if a fish short strikes your bait, then you MAY still hook and catch that fish. Had a time when I found it difficult to hook the bass that were rolling on my bait. The trailer hook was the answer.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 06:36 PM   #13
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

bassman
i use the same thing i am amazed at how slow ya can work it. always with a trailer.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 08:05 PM   #14
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Makes a good click too. Unless you adjust it not to.
Won a tournament on Kerr (buggs Island) a couple months ago while using these baits.
When I first saw them I bought several. May need more soon, there getting worn out. They were squeeking a while ago , but now they are bent up and out and all around !
I love buying new tackle !
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 05:00 AM   #15
nicholastown
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to nicholastown

I don't fish anything but the triple bladed buzzbaits. triple bladed baits allow you to reel the bait in slower than a double bladed bait. This will allow for more stikes period. Also, this makes for a better bubble trail. You never want the bait to sink, start reeling it the second it hits the water, but reel it just so the blades turn enough to churn the water. When you have gotten past the particular cover you are fishing, speed it up. This will trigger strikes some times from inactive fish. The buzz king fron strike king is a great bait, also, the terminator triple wing buzzbait is a good choice. Also, use smaller bladed baits in calmer water. In water that is choppy go with bigger bladed baits. Good fishing
nicholastown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 05:21 PM   #16
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch

fish it high fish it low fish it fast fish it slow bump it into **** pull it through **** only the bass will know

as for color mostly jus window dressing but ur regular dark to light and light to dark ratio aplies same as with spiners and worms
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-04, 05:33 PM   #17
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Pretty much sums it up. Prefer triple blade with trailer. Firetiger skirts have been my choice as of late. Sniper did you read a lot of Dr Seuss when you were young?
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.