Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 01-13-11, 02:55 AM   #76
Brwnbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Bps elite series for me.Light with alot of backbone & an extra fast tip. I also Have a carbonlite spinning that is awesome. Have 1 fenwick elite tech strokin special,its ok but heavy. 1 shimano crucial thats a good light jig/shakyhead rod. Have had 2 st.croix rods & they felt good, but both broke on me & i wont buy another.
Old 01-13-11, 03:39 PM   #77
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

My saltwater rods are st.croix my freshwater rods are g.loomis
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 11:06 AM   #78
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I just counted and I found that I have rods from 17 different manufacturers. I really don't have a favorite but if I had to choose without regard to cost it would probably be Loomis GLXs. With cost as a factor I would say Powell, St.Croix Avid or Premier, and maybe B&R Outlaw (I only have spinning).

I fully understand the idea of having rods made all by the same company since it would be easier to switch around and be mare familiar with them. However for me I am an opportunity shopper as well as looking for the best rod for the specific job. For instance I like my Fenwick drop shot rod over all others that I have tried.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 02:45 PM   #79
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have to fight the urge to listen to sales men tale me that if I’m going to have a $150 reel, I don’t want a $50 rod to put it on. But, then I remember that they make rods and reels every year. Rods that used to cost $100 a year ago and were considered top notch are the same rods even though they may only cost $50 today because the next greatest rod is coming out…again. I mean really, yanking in big bass on a $150 rods yields the same results as yanking one in on a $50 rod. All this sensitivity and backbone talking is kinda over-blown. Especially when you see 10 year olds pulling in 5lb bass on a Zebco 33 combo purchased at Wal-Mart.

So I’m learning to fight the hype machine and use good common and economical sense when purchasing gear. With that said, I just bought a $175 G-Loomis and $150 Carrot Stick.

Just kidding.

I’ve bought several brands and they’ve all served their purpose of landing the fish. But like anything we do appreciate stepping up the quality a little bit if it’s within our means. I use Bass Pro customer reviews quite a bit when it comes to purchasing. I read up on the high rated items I’m thinking about then I can actually go to BPS and touch it and feel it and speak to their representatives about the item. Of course they also have their biases about products too, but really I just wanna make sure there are no major issues with what I’m actually thinking about purchasing.

My next two reels I’m going to purchase are the Johnny Morris Gold and Signature series. I anticipate their going to have another price drop or quick sale on them soon as their annual sale approaches. The next 2 rods I’m going to purchase for them are:

Berkley Lighting Rod Shock- $50.00 (JM Gold Series with 30lb braid)
Quantum Energy PT- $50.00 (JM Signature Series with 14lb mono)

Both quality roads with great ratings.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 05:50 PM   #80
bassboogieman

I can't argue you can catch fish with a $20 combo, that's fact, but the bottom line is - if you haven't tried "premium gear" then you cannot possibly understand the difference, and will continue wondering what all the hype is about, while those of us that have used premium tackle know what it's about. It's what works for us, just as what works for you, and NEVER the twain shall meet.

That said, I'm not knocking using what you can afford, whatever that may be, and being content with it. What does irritate me, is a lot of those guys continually say "I DON"T UNDERSTAND ALL THE HYPE" concering the "premium" rods, reels, baits, etc. Of course they don't because they have no personal experience with which to relate or compare. If they did, they'd understand the "hype" isn't just all hype.

It's also been noted by a few - right here on this board - that there is a point of diminishing return or "bang-for-your-buck", and I can't argue with that. A $125 rod is better than a $50 rod, and a $225 rod is better than a $125 and VASTLY superior to a $50 rod. But, to me, once you cross the $225 ceiling the differences becomes more difficult to discern, they're there, but you're paying a much higher price for little bits of improvement, which will do very little to improve your angling as a percentage of investment. Same can be said for reels, or just about anything else.

As with any endeavor, anglers must determine what they want, can afford, makes them happy and go with it. What the other guys use (or don't use) is just not important.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 06:36 PM   #81
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I can't argue you can catch fish with a $20 combo, that's fact, but the bottom line is - if you haven't tried "premium gear" then you cannot possibly understand the difference, and will continue wondering what all the hype is about, while those of us that have used premium tackle know what it's about. It's what works for us, just as what works for you, and NEVER the twain shall meet.

That said, I'm not knocking using what you can afford, whatever that may be, and being content with it. What does irritate me, is a lot of those guys continually say "I DON"T UNDERSTAND ALL THE HYPE" concering the "premium" rods, reels, baits, etc. Of course they don't because they have no personal experience with which to relate or compare. If they did, they'd understand the "hype" isn't just all hype.

It's also been noted by a few - right here on this board - that there is a point of diminishing return or "bang-for-your-buck", and I can't argue with that. A $125 rod is better than a $50 rod, and a $225 rod is better than a $125 and VASTLY superior to a $50 rod. But, to me, once you cross the $225 ceiling the differences becomes more difficult to discern, they're there, but you're paying a much higher price for little bits of improvement, which will do very little to improve your angling as a percentage of investment. Same can be said for reels, or just about anything else.

As with any endeavor, anglers must determine what they want, can afford, makes them happy and go with it. What the other guys use (or don't use) is just not important.
I agree with you 100% I definitely think it's hard to comprehend what fishing a higher end rod or reel is like. I've even experienced myself thinking, well can that rod really be better than what I've got now? And I'm continually surprised when I move up to higher end rod.

Once you hit about $250-300, is where I think the difference stops. So while a $500 rod is probably better than a $300 rod, it may not be as much so as the $300 is better than the $100. If that makes sense.

BB
Old 01-18-11, 09:57 AM   #82
fish4942

Fair enough. I guess my main point is that a $150 rod that was all the rave a year ago is the same rod that’s $75 today and has been pushed to the back because of the new hot model that’s out. As far as your analogy of the threshold of a reasonable difference being around the $225 and up range, can’t the same be said for every new high-end rod that comes out every year in general? How much different can they’re really be? Their still light, have backbone, sensitivity, etc. So how much different can last year’s $225 rod that’s down to $150 this year be from this year’s $250 rod? I would say not much at all. I don’t think one would have to have used high end gear to know that. It’s no different than last year’s Ferrari Spider compared to this year’s Ferrari Spider. They added 3 more horsepower and offer one more additional color choice yet they pump it up as though it has vast improvements this year and you gotta have it. That’s all hype to get those wallets open. Don’t get me wrong, if I thought the high-end gear was worth the coin and I had experience with it, I’d probably be buying them right along with you. But is a bass going to bypass my green pumpkin chigger craw on the end of my $50 rod to get to your green pumpkin chigger craw on the end of your $225 rod. Probably not. Unless of course that fish as been caught on high-end rod before and prefers it over the lower-end rod.
Old 01-18-11, 11:24 AM   #83
bassboogieman

Quote:
But is a bass going to bypass my green pumpkin chigger craw on the end of my $50 rod to get to your green pumpkin chigger craw on the end of your $225 rod.
That depends. I will bet my $225 rod against your $50 rod that if you're in MY boat and we're fishing a piece of cover - say a downed tree - you won't reach the tree with that $50 rod and therefore your green pumpkin chigger craw won't get bit. If you're fishing out of you own boat, then the bets off, because you'd position the boat where you can reach the cover you want to fish. Been there, done it, and I've had guys on the back of the boat ask to get in closer - NOT going to happen, that's their problem if they can't reach the cover I'm fishing. I won't position my boat any closer to cover or structure than I have to, less chance of spooking fish. So your premise works some of the time, others it won't. All things being equal those using more economical tackle can find themselves at a disadvantage (more than) occasionally. If you're fishing off a pier you could use a stick and string and catch fish. It's all relative, to conditions. If you fish by yourself - or with others using similiar (or posiibly lesser) tackle - then again, you would not reconize the disadvantage
It's also rare to find (PREMIUM) rods discounted with the new year. That might be true with a store brand, but not your commercial (premium) producers. The new Abu rods (not that I would classiby those as "premium) are the same price as last year, St Croix - almost never see them discounted or Loomis either. Shimano - haven't seen that. Falcon, nope. Getting the picture? Definitely had a chance with Kistler last year due to their financial difficulties, but that was an exception. But if you're talking store brands (ie BPS branded, etc) being offered at clearance prices then you're not comparing apples to apples, and applying that reasoning across the board.
Actually, I would suggest anyone wanting to try something from the "upper tier" look at pre-owned. That's were you can really score a bargain. Often deals can be found at 50% off the original price, now you have a shot at premium equipment at reduced costs. I would much rather invest $150 on a used ($300) Loomis than buy 3 BPS Extreme rods on sale. But that's me.
Old 01-18-11, 01:27 PM   #84
fish4942

One of these days I’m going to make that leap and get one of those premium rods. I just gotta inch my way up there I guess. I have been eyeing those Abu Garcia’s though. The Vendetta and that Veritas look and feel mighty appealing. I might go for it this year at some point. But gees, if I get hooked on the premium rods I’m in trouble. The monkey is bad enough where I’m at right now.
Old 01-18-11, 02:24 PM   #85
bassboogieman

Hopefully, should you REALLY want to make the leap, you have a fishing buddy, or attend one of these get-togethers and hook up with somebody that may let you fish with one for a bit. Perferably several guys with different brands. The most difficult thing is trying various rods (that you buy) until you find "THE ONE". It's an expensive and frustrating road to go down. Rewarding in the end for many, but it's frustrating also.
Joining a bass club is another good way - I ended up doing just that for 3 years during my search. That's right I spent over 2 years looking for the rod for me, before making the final choice and the INVESTMENT. Same with reels. And you are correct, it borders on addiction for some (like me), and Monkeyitis can be painful.
Old 01-28-11, 04:01 PM   #86
Old Hooker

Well, let's see.
2 Carbonlites 1 trigger, 1 spinning
2 Bionic Blades
1 Extreme retractable butt pitching
1 Crankin' Stick
1 Spiral Graphite (1988 model I bought new and still use)
I guess I like the BPS rods pretty well.
Old 02-02-11, 01:19 PM   #87
fish4942

I admit that I’ve been a cheapskate when it comes to rods. I’ll pick it up, whip a couple of times, press the tip against the floor to feel the strength and flexibility, verify the price is reasonable, and it goes home with me. I haven’t stepped up to the higher end rods yet to experience the real difference. So I currently don’t have a favorite brand yet. But my next rod purchase will be the BPS CarbonLite Micro Guides rod. Best feeling rod I’ve never fished with. Ha! But my guess is that I’ll be a BPS and Abu Garcia rod man. Those Vendettas, Veritas, and Verdicts feel awfully nice when using them in the rod aisles at the store. Their price is extremely reasonable for even a rod cheapskate like me. Can’t wait to get one in the water.
Old 02-02-11, 08:28 PM   #88
mike234

I use mainly Shimano Crucial Rods. Fished with a friend's Ugly Stick and liked it for striper fishing and have recently purchased a couple of these.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 10:29 PM   #89
Jrob78

The main difference to me between a cheap rod and an expensive rod is going to be the sensitivity. I mean actual fishing sensitivity, something you can't truly understand until you've fished with a really good, sensitive rod. That extra sensitivity is why the guy with the $225 rod is going to out fish the guy with the $50 rod. The more expensive rod is also probably going to be lighter and balance better, while it isn't absolutely crucial, it makes a huge difference in how pleasant a rod is going to be to fish.

fish4942, when you do decide to take the plunge into more expensive rods, make sure you buy a rod that you will use for bottom contact baits. Jigs, t-rigs, c-rigs, drop shot, shakey head etc.. are all techniques that greatly benefit from the best rod you can afford. Spinnerbaits, topwater, crankbaits etc... are techniques where a super sensitive rod is less important.

I agree 100% that you do reach a point of diminishing returns when you cross the $300 threshold. There are also some excellent rods in the sub $150 range, you don't have to spend a fortune to get quality. I also feel strongly that there is a bottom dollar when it comes to getting a high quality, sensitive rod with quality components. At some point and to some degree you definitely do get what you pay for.
Old 02-03-11, 02:43 AM   #90
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The main difference to me between a cheap rod and an expensive rod is going to be the sensitivity. I mean actual fishing sensitivity, something you can't truly understand until you've fished with a really good, sensitive rod. That extra sensitivity is why the guy with the $225 rod is going to out fish the guy with the $50 rod. The more expensive rod is also probably going to be lighter and balance better, while it isn't absolutely crucial, it makes a huge difference in how pleasant a rod is going to be to fish.

fish4942, when you do decide to take the plunge into more expensive rods, make sure you buy a rod that you will use for bottom contact baits. Jigs, t-rigs, c-rigs, drop shot, shakey head etc.. are all techniques that greatly benefit from the best rod you can afford. Spinnerbaits, topwater, crankbaits etc... are techniques where a super sensitive rod is less important.

I agree 100% that you do reach a point of diminishing returns when you cross the $300 threshold. There are also some excellent rods in the sub $150 range, you don't have to spend a fortune to get quality. I also feel strongly that there is a bottom dollar when it comes to getting a high quality, sensitive rod with quality components. At some point and to some degree you definitely do get what you pay for.
I hear you with regard to your first paragraph, but I will tell you that if I had a Cumara, Bill Dance could probably still whoop my phanny with an Ugly Stik!

What you wrote reminds me of a piece I wrote about two rods I had - My Berkley Cherrywood rod and my Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special rod. I used both for drop shotting. The Cherrywood was at the time my "trunk" rod and the Lamiglas was the "weekend" rod, being one piece and having a car, I could only use it on the weekends since I never leave my fishing gear exposed in my vehicle. It definitely got more play than my lamiglas.

The Cherrywood was surprisingly adequate in the sensitivity department (once again in my hands only) to drop shot quite effectively. With it, I never missed a smallie when it took the bait, whether it was a nibble or a smash. The analogy that comes to mind is that the Cherrywood provided me with a Stereo sound experience, watching a movie on an older TV. You know, it was good and decent.

The Lamiglas however, definitely kicked it up a few notches. I now would get the same experience but with THX sound and Blue Ray vision. You could, as they say, feel the fish fart and burp.

The thing about sensitivity that makes things difficult IMHO is that it is too subjective and I wouldn't even know where to begin to devise a metric to measure it. What might feel sensitive and great to one angler might feel like crap in the hands of another angler.
Old 02-03-11, 05:37 AM   #91
George_Welcome

Without a doubt: GBlanks rods -
Old 02-03-11, 11:47 PM   #92
ruasoonerfan2
BassFishin.Com Member

Only one rod I use, I have eight Gloomis and love everyone of them. From light action to heavy worm rod. I have fished with alot of rod and Gloomis is by far the best.
ruasoonerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 09:49 AM   #93
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I hear you with regard to your first paragraph, but I will tell you that if I had a Cumara, Bill Dance could probably still whoop my phanny with an Ugly Stik!

What you wrote reminds me of a piece I wrote about two rods I had - My Berkley Cherrywood rod and my Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special rod. I used both for drop shotting. The Cherrywood was at the time my "trunk" rod and the Lamiglas was the "weekend" rod, being one piece and having a car, I could only use it on the weekends since I never leave my fishing gear exposed in my vehicle. It definitely got more play than my lamiglas.

The Cherrywood was surprisingly adequate in the sensitivity department (once again in my hands only) to drop shot quite effectively. With it, I never missed a smallie when it took the bait, whether it was a nibble or a smash. The analogy that comes to mind is that the Cherrywood provided me with a Stereo sound experience, watching a movie on an older TV. You know, it was good and decent.

The Lamiglas however, definitely kicked it up a few notches. I now would get the same experience but with THX sound and Blue Ray vision. You could, as they say, feel the fish fart and burp.

The thing about sensitivity that makes things difficult IMHO is that it is too subjective and I wouldn't even know where to begin to devise a metric to measure it. What might feel sensitive and great to one angler might feel like crap in the hands of another angler.

I feel ya on the "trunk" rod deal. I thought I was the only one that loads up the car with tackle. My trunk was out of commission for most of the summer so most of the time I made the space between the passenger doors and seat my rod locker. 6'6" and shorter rods are no problem, but I have to bend the 7 footer a bit more to get in there. I want to try an even longer rod, like a 7'3 or 7'6 but I'm going to wait until I get a truck. But my trunk works now so maybe I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-10-11, 12:58 AM   #94
basshunter21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
OK lets see if we can tally them up.

Dobyns - 2
Falcon - 1
Quantum - 1
e21 - 1
St Croix - 3
Kistler - 3
GLoomis - 1
GraphiteLeader - 1

had a feeling St. Croix, and Kistler would be up there..
lmao i thought you were saying that those were the rods you had! i was like damn!

I havent had as much exprience with a whole lot of different brands, but i like my st croix and hell i dont even mind my cheap berkley lightning shock rod. I honestly think the berkley rod rocks for the price.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.