Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-08-04, 03:10 PM   #1
minorfisher2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to minorfisher2
Default Back!

I'm back! We caught more fish this year than ever before. The only fish we keep are bass and walleye (and perch if they're over 12 inches), but we caught an abundance of all of the different types of fish up there. For instance, sheephead, we usually catch maybe 3 of them per year. This year we caught about 15 of them. It was weird how many more fish there were this year. Anyway, we ended up maxing out on bass every day. The average size was about 15 inches, but there was at least once nice one (around 18, 19 inches) a day. I also caught a baby snapping turtle at the end of our first week. We kept it as a pet for the remainder of the vacation and fed it minos. It was so fun watchin that little thing tear them to shreds. But anyway, the fishing was GREAT. I was on the river 10 hours a day every day. Ahhhh... I miss it already.

One night we decided to try night fishing cuz we never have before. Unfortunately the mosquitos were HORRIBLE, which made the whole experience rather uncomfortable. The sound of the buzzing in our ears and around our heads was enough to give anyone nightmares for a week. We didn't catch anything, though. I was wondering if its possible to successfully fish in the dark with nothin but a worm on your hook. I wanna try night fishin again next year, but Im plannin on buyin one of those light up lures, cuz I think that woud work better. As for the mosquitos, we left at the worst possible hour - 9:30pm - which is the notorious hour up there for when the mosquitos are the worst. I think if we woulda waited till around 11 it wouldnt have been nearly as bad.

The most fun day was when we fished at the dam. Theres rapids on the side of it and a little waterfall behind it, so we got out and walked around on the rocks and fished all around it. Between my family and my cousins family we had about 14 nice bass in a span of 2 hours. It was so much fun. My cousin and I also went down the rapids and I bounced off a rock and got my leg all cut up, but it was still fun. Last year we went and nobody got hurt. I don't think I was layin back enough this time.. oh well.

Only 345 more days and Ill be back in my paradise.
minorfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 06:23 PM   #2
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva
Default Re: Back!

you don't need glow in the dark or light up lures.try a jitterbug or buzzbait next time.and if the mosquitos are biting get some cling free sheets and stuff them in your pockets.they work at keepin the skeeters away.
and welcome back
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 09:27 PM   #3
mallard
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mallard

No they won't. Tried it, didn't work at all.

The mosquitoes usually win. And they don't go away until the water freezes.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 10:43 PM   #4
spidey04
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to spidey04

We fish at night all of the time here, and it is a well known fact that the Mosquito is the NY State Bird, LOL>
Anyhow, the key to night fishing is to not sit right on top of your light. Try to keep it as far from you as you can and still see. As for just fishing with a worm, YES. If you are fishing for Walleye or Bullhead or Catfish, It will work great. For bass I would try something weedless and topwater that make a LOT of noise on the water, Like a jitter bug, or a Moss Boss. and DON"T FORGET THE OFF!!!!. LOL.
I believe that avon makes a lotion and I think it is skin so soft...... I can't remember, anyhow, one of those lotions that everyone uses will also keep the Skeeter's away.
Good Luck and Have fun.
spidey04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 01:30 PM   #5
minorfisher2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to minorfisher2

Quote:
get some cling free sheets and stuff them in your pockets
haha I dont think you realize how bad they are up there at that hour. There usually is a lot less of them out around 10-11, which is why when we have campfires we usually will light the fire around 9 and then sit in the cabin and watch from the window till around 10. But anyways, we didn't even have any lights on our boat aside from the little light on the front of the boat. We used the flashlights to see better while we were driving but they were off while fishing.

I like the idea of usin buzzbait. I'll keep that in mind for next year.

Oh yeah, as for methods of keepin the mosquitos away... We use off, but my little sister got to choose which bottles to buy this year for some reason (without my knowledge), and she picked the ones that smelled the prettiest instead of looking at how much deet was in it. So she got one that had 5% and one that had 7%. I like to have at least 25%, cuz nothin else seems to work at all.

I miss fishing already
minorfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 03:20 PM   #6
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

Quote:
it is a well known fact that the Mosquito is the NY State Bird,
It is the Texas state bird, too ;D

Sounds like y'all had a great vacation, Melissa. Glad you got home safe.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.