Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-09, 11:09 PM   #1
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Back tonight at the pond (pics)

Well you know dang well that I was going back to my boss' pond tonight after landing that 6.5 lb hawg last night. I did not go expecting to land another hawg again because if I start fishing with that mind set, it will cease to become fun for me.

I landed 6 bass. The three biggest ones are pictured below. All of the bass were caught using a 4.5" Zoom finesse worm (bullfrog color).

3 lbs 3 oz

2 lbs 2 oz

2 lbs even
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-09, 11:49 PM   #2
bcklash

All 3 of those put to togather are just barely bigger than that toad you caught the other night. 3 nice fish any day of the week.
Old 10-02-09, 07:18 AM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Those would so make the grease! Good eating in those three.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 08:06 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nice!! Looks like yer boss has got a pretty sweet pond there!
Old 10-02-09, 08:21 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
All 3 of those put to togather are just barely bigger than that toad you caught the other night. 3 nice fish any day of the week.

Agree 100%!
Old 10-03-09, 09:33 AM   #6
Bassboss

Hey, I've got a question for ya...

You say you're using weightless zoom finesse worms right? Well how are you using them? See that you've been having so much luck on them, I think I'll give it a try...
Old 10-04-09, 11:44 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Hey, I've got a question for ya...

You say you're using weightless zoom finesse worms right? Well how are you using them? See that you've been having so much luck on them, I think I'll give it a try...
I use a 4.5" Zoom finesse worm (bullfrog color). My line is 20# moss green Suffix braid with a 4 to 5' PLine CFX leader. The leader line is pure flouro leader and is expensive about $8 to $9 for about 25 yards. It is very durable though.

I use a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG Gammy hook Texas rigged (weedless).

I just try to cast to structure or laydowns around the pond. The spot where I caught the big one and few other 2 pounders was next to a turtle trap (not a fountain like I previously thought it was). I let it slowly sink and then twitch AFTER it hits bottom. If the fish are "skitish" that day, I try to cast past the spot I'm targeting. I "dance" it across the top of the water to the spot, then I let it sink. Sometimes I get a hit before the spot, and other times I get the hit as it sinks about 12 to 24 inches down. The deepest part of the pond is only 15 to 20' but I fish in the 5 to 8' areas and shallower.

Sometimes the fish want a faster drop with the worm so I add a very very small split shot right at the nose of the worm. The slightest bit of weight will make these worms drop very fast. For some reason the fish at this pond like the worm to drop in the vertical position. The finesse worms are good with this because the tail floats.

Hope this helps. It took me about 6 or 7 trips out to the pond to figure out what the fish prefer.
Old 10-05-09, 03:58 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

Fishnngolfn - is that braid on that spinning reel?
Old 10-05-09, 04:18 PM   #9
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Fishnngolfn - is that braid on that spinning reel?
Yes it is.

I know that line setup would be better suited for a baitcaster but I have pretty much given up on baitcasters except for one setup. Since I now have a truck, I will be fishing from my boat a lot more so I am not looking to cast a country mile. I am looking to fish specific spots and I am not at all accurate with a baitcaster. I plan on using spinning reels for pretty much everything.

Next weekend I plan on purchasing about 2 or 3 new spinning reels and rods. I just have to figure out what type of fishing I want to use each for. The new Academy next to my apartment opens up next weekend and I hope they have some good deals on the fishing stuff. It is less than 0.25 miles from my apartment.
Old 10-05-09, 04:33 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

I was asking because the time I put braid on my spinning reel the retrieve was fine, but casting was a problem as the line was sometimes just slightly trapped in the braid.
Your right though, much less an issue from a boat where long casting isn't as much an issue as bank fishing....have to rethink it and maybe try braid on one of my spinning rigs I use on the boat now.
Old 10-05-09, 08:19 PM   #11
Fishnngolfn

I do get what I call tip snags using braid on the spinning rods. The braided line with 6 or more strands tends to have less tip snags than Power Pro which only has 4 strands. Also, flourocarbon line on a spinning reel tends to jump off the spool when casting which is a worse that birdnests on a baitcaster.
Old 10-10-09, 12:00 PM   #12
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BABIES!! lol just kidding nice fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.