Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 01-15-15, 08:23 PM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default How many are into hard swimbaits

Ive taken this up fairly recently,not all are super expensive roman made wonders.
One can start with say a savage gear 3d,or Morone my favorites in colors chart/flash for the savage gear and kokanee in the 6 in candy bar Morone,both under 20 bucks,both work on Ky lake.The savage gear 3d is a glide bait,and the Morone a flat sided swimmer.'
Several known makers have been on Ky lake Mike Bukka-Bullshad he said the 5 in worked here.
And in March Fatback Herring Tony will be here in a Hobie T Yes Hobie as in yak boat.
Smaller 5 6 in baits can be tossed with current eq,heavier one does need a beefier setup.Have 3 8 ft swimbait rods,each higher rating than the other.
7 8 and 9 and up do require heavier eq,no I don't toss 12 in trout.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-15-15 at 08:30 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 09:06 PM   #2
bassboogieman

Never caught a bass on a hard swim bait. I tried a few but did not invest in many because I could not get them to produce. I have a couple Sebile magic swimmers and True Tungsten - the ones you could add weights to and I think they are now discontinued. I have done better with the surface wake baits in my area.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 01-15-15 at 10:00 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 09:58 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've fished 5" Rapalas and Bomber Long-As ... which were the "swimbaits" of my time. The only one I am thinking of getting is the Vudu 4.5" Mullet. If you can find videos of it swimming through the water ... it's as lifelike as can be.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 11:00 PM   #4
lilmule

Ive never caught anything on a sebile as yet many tailless are or get less hits.
Glide baits are the finesse bait,swimmers cover water.Glides are 2 section,swimmers multi.The smaller slender minnow type glides can be used in place of a jerkbait.
The swimmers more like a rattletrap,with more action as many one can turn sideways and stop it,not trutemper or sebile,but there are some.
Savage gear,Swaver,Tater Hog,Pizz,Fish 30 acre,Triple Trout,DC customs,GanCraft,Deps,Fatback Herring all make both versions.John Hopkins ,bullshad ,etc make swimmers only.Either version can and will work if in right place and or matching forage or like anything else a reaction strike.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-15-15 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 08:02 AM   #5
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My largest resistance to getting a swim bait is the size of the bait. Unlike most bass anglers, I am not looking for that trophy fish. Yeah, I wouldn't mind catching one, but I'd rather spend the day battling smaller fish, than casting all day for one big fish. So, for me, a regular sized, lighter lure is preferable to a large, heavy [big-fish-only] lure.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 11:33 AM   #6
lilmule

Exactly why many toss whats called a numbers bait,shorter lighter,smaller in general 4-5 in much like a jerkbait when a rounded minnow profile is used rather than shad.This is called a Pizz.
[IMG][/IMG]
This is by Tater Hog
[IMG][/IMG]
Savage gear tad longer than a jerkbait
[IMG][/IMG]
They cost under 20 bucks the savage gear and in several sizes this is the large,smallest one is like the two preceeding lures.
Exception of cali and for muskies most don't toss extra large swimbaits.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-16-15 at 04:57 PM.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.