Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-08, 12:02 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default another possible flooding tragedy

well since table rock and all of our other lakes are up i got to thinking. most all of our lakes (i can't think of any that aren't) are corp of engineers owned, and the corp doesn't seem to give a damn about much other than $. well right now they are saying that the gates on the dam will remain open for two months. now think about what will happen when the water warms and fish go on the beds, then the water keeps falling leaving their beds on dry ground. granted all the lakes are just about out of control with flooding, but arent' they robbing peter to pay paul by taking water out of one flooded lake and putting it into another? and plus reaking havoc on the spawn which will probably not be a successful one since it doesn't sound like they will do anything to try not to expose their beds. i'm not going to pretend that i know much about the drawdown procces and all, and i hope i am missing something but it doesn't sound good to me.
Old 03-21-08, 06:58 AM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Like Lilmoose said, "Come on!" Ya'll been hit pretty hard these last couple years. Hope it turns out ok for the fish and anglers.

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 10:29 AM   #3
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
well since table rock and all of our other lakes are up i got to thinking. most all of our lakes (i can't think of any that aren't) are corp of engineers owned, and the corp doesn't seem to give a damn about much other than $. well right now they are saying that the gates on the dam will remain open for two months. now think about what will happen when the water warms and fish go on the beds, then the water keeps falling leaving their beds on dry ground. granted all the lakes are just about out of control with flooding, but arent' they robbing peter to pay paul by taking water out of one flooded lake and putting it into another? and plus reaking havoc on the spawn which will probably not be a successful one since it doesn't sound like they will do anything to try not to expose their beds. i'm not going to pretend that i know much about the drawdown procces and all, and i hope i am missing something but it doesn't sound good to me.
As bad as this all is. My best fishing comes from flooding opertunities. Or i just got use to this crazy weathor pattern we have had as of late.
The biggest advantage fishing is the Rock almost acts like a river again. As long as there moving the water. Water will stay warmer than if the gates were'nt open. This is why i can fish for bass on the Missouri river on a 25 degree day. Moving water does'nt freeze. Bass will more than likely spawn early. We had that nasty rain last year as well. It seamed to me the bass spawned early.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 12:20 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

moose, i know what you mean! i like fishing when a lake is up too. but does it really matter(for the fish's sake) when they go on beds? the corp said they are gonna draw water for the next 2 months. so when the fish go on beds there will probably be a lot of fish that make beds only to have to leave them because the water drops and the beds are left in someones backyard. right? why can't the corp of a-holes just maintain a fairly steady lake level for a few weeks to a month to aid in a successful spawn?
Old 03-21-08, 01:27 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

I agree with you. Besides all that water dump out now is going down stream to sombody else. Are they taking that in consideration. There actions up above could be a result of a house washing away. It takes preasure off the dam. YES, But it is also very devestating to the fishery. Releaisng the water slowly is the answer.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 03:07 PM   #6
zooker

bass will get used to the water level being dropped. they will still bed up but likely they will be deeper say 5-8 feet instead of 3-4..

zooker
Old 03-21-08, 05:10 PM   #7
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Don't overthink this. A bass is an animal, they know what's about to come. If the lake continues to drain, they will eventually grasp the idea and spawn deeper.

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.