Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-09-09, 01:44 PM   #276
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
awesum kevin, are YOU ready for this?
Can't wait John!

What's the word on grass in KY Lake. I know it's got grass now... but any idea where it's proliferating?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 03:41 PM   #277
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

from reading my map i got the impression that there will be some grass either way we go from big bear, but i don't know how old the map is and if it has changed much since the map was printed.
Old 05-09-09, 07:19 PM   #278
JB

If ya go across the lake to Smiths cove and hang a right theres a big area of grass
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 08:02 PM   #279
bamabassman

hahaha, kevin, i meant are you SURE you wanna actually meet some of us? hahahahahaha, kidding of course.

and i am hoping for some grass.should be some since it has really taken off here. be a great place to throw my lizard, spro frog and such. ya think jb?
Old 05-09-09, 08:10 PM   #280
WTL

I wish people didnt use the word grass,. Big difference between maidencaine and milfoil....

Since we are all friends perhaps we should get together sometime shortly after arriving and tour the lake in a fast big boat or do something to get a good idea of what the lake has, share info.
Old 05-09-09, 08:15 PM   #281
bamabassman

ok, wtl, i will say "gator vines" from now on,lol. and you are right pal, we will be ther thursday afternoon, if nothing happens to delay us. and i plan to take a ride and check out things like gator vines, laydowns and such. most likely fish too. i'll take as many as i can that want to go.
Old 05-09-09, 08:17 PM   #282
WTL

WTH is a gator vine?

Hydrilla? Milfoil? Kudzu?

Last edited by WTL; 05-09-09 at 08:18 PM. Reason: I originally said WTF, but I am trying not to curse, even in acronym form
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 08:20 PM   #283
bamabassman

it's the stuff here that i fish in all the time. you know i ain't no collage educated man, hahahahahaha. i don't know the real name of the stuff. it grows right along with the lily pads. tough as a gator to me. only braid can cut through it. breaks mono like it was nothing. hydrilla i guess is the proper name. looks mor like kudzu to me though, but not the right leaves on em.
Old 05-09-09, 08:20 PM   #284
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You guys don't know how bad I wish I was goin.......Maybe next time.....hope ya'll take lots of video to post later.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 09:13 PM   #285
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66KingFisher View Post
You guys don't know how bad I wish I was goin.......Maybe next time.....hope ya'll take lots of video to post later.
One of us will send you a team picture
Old 05-09-09, 11:08 PM   #286
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm sure Kevin will make a video of all the pictures like he did last year.

BB
Old 05-10-09, 12:42 AM   #287
bamabassman

yes, i am sure he will make a c d too.
Old 05-10-09, 07:22 AM   #288
BigBassin144

Man, we went to BPS yesterday to take back my broken rapala. (I would have dismissed it if I wasn't throwing it near any cover and if it didn't break on the second cast) anyways, we wanted to pick up a KY lake map. Well they didn't have one.

We tell the guy where we're going and he asks if we pass another BPS on the way. The only one we come close to is the one in Cincinatti[sp?]. He calls them up and they have one, but I really don't want to spend the time )and money) on our way to the get together. There is a tackle shop or like BPS satelite shop down there, right? They have to have it, right?

BB
Old 05-10-09, 09:26 AM   #289
JB

There s a tackle shop in benton on 641 but the marina sells them at big bear for 12 bucks
Old 05-10-09, 10:27 AM   #290
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Can't wait John!

What's the word on grass in KY Lake. I know it's got grass now... but any idea where it's proliferating?

the answer from my man at the scene is; "its not up,its there and growing but just off the bottom,it doesnt top out here until july"....

that what ya want to know??

word is the water is 4 feet over summer level and with the rain they have been getting water temp saturday was 68.it has made the large mouth spawn run late..-like that is a suprise huh?-topwater is on again off again small topwaters are working better..bad news the blade bite is "sucky" at best.. i still am flinging da blade i just mite change i bit sooner to other baits.. jb i'll take a 200 in dat color we agreed on...

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 05-10-09 at 10:35 AM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 10:36 AM   #291
JB

That explains why I never saw grass on the lake, my club always went there in march and april....
Old 05-10-09, 10:41 AM   #292
zooker

no grass is a GOOD thing....

makes crankin easier..

ok guys this is a live cam of the gas dock at moors resort -it looks right at bigbear resort-

http://www.kentuckylake.com/klo-members/moors.htm

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 05-10-09 at 10:59 AM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 12:55 PM   #293
JB

Default Debris on Kyl lake

May 7, 2009

Kentucky Lake: Water Level at Ky Dam - 361.44 Surface Temperature - 67
Lake Barkley: Water Level at Barkley Dam - 361.40 Surface Temperature - 66

Both lakes are about 2.5 ft over summer pool. The lakes have been up and down like a yo-yo since my last week's report. In my last week's report, I reported the lakes were on a drawdown to summer pool levels, which they did get near by last Friday. Then the heavy rains hit here and especially upriver in the Tennessee valley. Up went the lakes again to about 4 ft over summer pool. Then the lakes were falling again over the past few days with a fast drawdown to their present levels. This morning the TVA was forecasting a further drop over the next few days but that has since been revised. The latest revision shows the lakes rising to nearly 4 feet above summer pool by midnight Saturday. So, like I said, it has been a yo-yo as far as lake levels over the past week. My best advise is check the lake level projections frequently and then check them again because the projections are changing faster than I can read them. We have more rain in the forecast for tonight and thru the weekend. So here we go again. So what has all this up and down done to the fish you ask? Well, they are moving in and then they are moving out as far as the shallow water patterns are concerned. You have to be versatile when fishing the Largemouth and watch what the lake levels are doing. There are some Largemouth locked on beds, which are not moving, but there are still plenty of late prespawn bass that are moving up into the brush and then backing off again when the water starts falling. There are some post spawn bass also on the lead out banks mixing in with the late spawners that have backed out. I have taken a number of large females recently that are squirting eggs as you lift them into the boat as they are so ripe and ready to spawn but the lake fluctuations have moved them back out off the brush. So as you can imagine there are a myriad of patterns to fish and the better patterns each day depends on what the water levels are doing. We are also getting some Smallmouth on the main lake points near current breaks as the heavy current is stacking up some baitfish there. The Crappie anglers are scratching their heads also about the fluctuating water levels this past week. The better catches of Crappie are being taken over deep brush piles on old creek channels in 10-15 ft of water in the creeks and bays. Some post spawn Crappie are also being taken on the main lake creek channel ledges in 15-25 ft of water. The Bluegill seems to be the best panfish bite right now with lots of big catches coming around brush and wood cover in 5-6 ft of water on crickets. Some Crappie anglers are reporting catches of good Bluegill over the brush piles in 10-15 ft of water while fishing for Crappie. Both lakes are heavily stained in the river channels as the upriver flood waters are passing through. Most of the creeks and bays are clear though, although I have had some reports that the creeks south of the 68 bridges are getting a lot of color to them. There is a large amount of floating debris in Lake Barkley and some in Kentucky Lake also. Please be careful when running the lakes and for heaven's sake, wear your PFD and hook up your kill switch while running.

Largemouth Bass: Largemouth Bass are being taken in the creeks and bays in and near the spawning areas. This includes fish being taken in the button brush, in front of the button brush in flooded over vegetation and on lead in/lead out creek channel banks near the spawning areas. The fish in the brush are being taken by flipping jigs, tubes and creature baits as well as on spinnerbaits and swim baits. The fish in front of the brush are being taken on Texas and Carolina rigged lizards and creature baits, spinnerbaits, some topwater, chatterbaits, shaky head worms, whacky worm rigs and finesse jigs. the fish on the lead in/lead out banks are being taken on crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Texas rigged lizards and creature baits, shaky head worms and jigs. Lots of short fish are being taken in all these places but some nice fish are being taken too.

Smallmouth Bass: Smallmouth Bass are being taken on main lake primary and secondary points near current breaks on finesse jigs and tube jigs. I have not had any reports of large numbers but some nice fish have been taken. Note: There are a number of smaller Largemouth and some Spotted Bass being taken on these current breaks also.

Some of the productive lures reported this week are: Chatterbuzz buzzbaits in black, Rebel Pop R in black/silver, Hook Some Bass spinnerbaits in blue glimmer and white/chartreuse, Zoom lizards in green pumpkin, watermelon seed and watermelon/red, Bandit crankbaits in rootbeer chartreuse and parrot, Hook Some Bass vibe (chatterbait) in blue glimmer, Zoom trick worms in watermelon/red and green pumpkin (dead sticked whacky style), D&L shaky head jigs with Charmer shaky head worms in watermelon/red and green pumpkin candy, D&L baby advantage jigs in oops pattern and Cumberland craw and Last Cast wooly bug jigs in green pumpkin (both these jigs tipped with Net Baits paca chunk and baby paca craw trailers in green pumpkin, green pumpkin watermelon and summer craw.

Crappie: Crappie are being taken over brush piles in 10-15 ft of water on old creek channels by vertically fishing with jigs tipped with minnows. Crappie are also being taken on old creek channels on the main lake over brush piles in 15-25 ft of water using the same method. Some Crappie are being taken in shallow water near bases of willow trees and brush piles in 5-6 ft of water on long poles with minnows and small jigs.

Old 05-10-09, 01:06 PM   #294
JB

I'll tell ya what, if the fish are on or near buckbrush its a easy pattern to get a lot of bites, some times the back of some of the cuts on the other side of Moors has a great area of button brush.
Also across the lack in any of the backareas if the lake is up the button brush holds fish, guys with jigs or traps hit on them, plus what the guide mentioned above .
Old 05-10-09, 04:44 PM   #295
zooker

yo kevin..
just talked to lowrider him and doc will NOT be making it to the get togather...

zooker
Old 05-10-09, 06:33 PM   #296
bamabassman

thanks jb for the report. and WTF? lowrider and doc? we can't have folks missing out now.

we need a current list of those attending. i am IN!
Old 05-10-09, 06:50 PM   #297
BigBassin144

Man, I hope we get to fish a lot of cranks and spinnerbaits.

BB
Old 05-10-09, 07:04 PM   #298
JB

I'm guessing 15 ppl now
Old 05-10-09, 08:33 PM   #299
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I'm guessing 15 ppl now
I hope not, seeing as we're cooking for like 40.

BB
Old 05-10-09, 08:35 PM   #300
WTL

If yall didnt expect some cancellations, yall would have to be new at this type of thing.

15 will be a good turnout as far as I'm concerned.

PS, my Dad says he's in. And the dog.

Kinda hoping the water falls a bit. Planning on camping on the way up, and my spot might be underwater....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.