Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-09-13, 12:55 AM   #1
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Tach question

I had a shop swap outboards on my Avalanche. They didn't hook my tach back up. Here is my question, is the wire that goes from the gauge to the motor a special kind of wire or can I use any kind?
dizzy_ghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 11:33 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i THINK it is the GUAGE of wire that matters. not REAL sure though. wait for others to answer before oyu go with what i say, lol.
Old 07-10-13, 01:02 AM   #3
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

I got to looking today, the shop made a real mess! I think I'm just going to patchwork it until winter, then do a major wiring facelift. I would still like somebody to elaborate on what bama said. What gauge should I use for the tach signal wire?
Old 07-10-13, 01:03 AM   #4
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh, and thanks bama, at least you got me moving in the right direction.
Old 07-10-13, 10:54 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Uh tach wire should still be there,just not hooked up.Even if they changed brands its part of the wiring harness,sloppy work.
General-Red,Black,Grey and Light Blue. The Light Blue is for the lights and the Black is the ground,so look for a spare red ,black and a grey wire under the console area most likly strapped up by them with other wires,very poor install.
That is merely my opinion,but if i picked it up be a few words said like continue on and call me when its done.
Even my 70s models had a tach and such wiring.Only a few with say 45- 50 hp did not in 14 ft boats.
If it didnt have a working tach prior could be different but still should have added the hookup.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-10-13 at 11:02 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 12:15 PM   #6
dizzy_ghs
BassFishin.Com Member

After some looking on my part, that wasn't the only poor workmanship. They just cut everything, zip tied it and hid it. I have a lot of things not working, such as the only trim working is on the throttle, no navigation lights, etc. Partly my fault for not checking it out when I picked it up. I take a lot of pride in my job, I just assumed others do too. But you know what they say about assuming. . .
Old 07-10-13, 01:05 PM   #7
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I was born n raised in Huntington hopefully no one I knew.
Take all the zip ties off wirenut each color back together should all work again-should never have happened I dare say wouldnt give them any more work.Volt ohm meter comes in handy if unhooked.Trim buttons are easy to run wiring for even if missing,providing one has one that works somewhere.
Would check everything bilge pump,livewell pumps etc,nav lights,horn-everything.
When mounting a new engine not uncommon to find wires that go nowwhere or operate nothing or something that one does not have,that is acceptable to have loose but not take loose or cut.Some guys get off track due to incoming calls etc, and yes things happen but that much not an accident.
If owner did not work on it give him a call and tell him whats what(be nice),in other words give him a chance to correct.If it was him waste of time after money.
Ive had them fail to rewire a trim button or lights or even troller battery but easier for me to fix than drive around to them.
But never a total hacket job(cut wiring and hid).PS im highly opinionated.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-10-13 at 01:16 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 08:26 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dizzy...i KNOW what oyu mean by a tangled mess in wiring. my ol cajun has had everybody and his brother working on it when i got it. i too amd WANTING to rip out everything and start all over. one day i will.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.