Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-12, 08:53 PM   #1
Rich in Co
BassFishin.Com Member

Default BPS Carbonlite vs PQ which one

Hey Guy's new to the boards, and I'm liking this place lots of fishing insight here.

Any way I'm swaping out some old grear this weekend at the BPS Spring Fishing thingy this weekend.

After reading tons of reviews my fisrt thought was to pick up a Revo STX for $139.00 with all the rebates, but the reviews on PQ where very good also so is the price $85.00 with rebates.

Now the new black Carbonlite has a great price $89.00 with rebates, but not many reviews. I know with the PQ most of the insdie parts can be replaced with Revo parts, but not so sure about the Carbonlite

So now I'm looking at either the PW or Carbonlite for their price points, so help a brother out which one should I pair up with a 7ft St Croix medium action I'm a ponder hopper from shore or in a tube.

Thanks Rich
Rich in Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 09:16 PM   #2
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i have never owned one, but review by proreel, which i trust to lead me and my wallet blind at the bps reel counter, says the PQ, if you search forum that my help, few other net reviews say PQ, i am not on any bass forums except this, i have browsed and they speak high of PQ... heck even som utube reviws speak highly of it
Old 02-22-12, 09:26 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Of the three reels you mentioned my money would be spent on the Revo STX, I like the overall design, quality of materials and refinement a little better than the other two. If you are looking for a little less cost then the PQ would be my choice, it is a proven reel with a good design. The older gold colored Carbonlite would get the nod over the PQ for me but they seem to be getting harder to find now. The new JM Carbonlite seems like it may end up being a good reel, but I would wait a season and see how it does after everyone gets some time on the water with it.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.
Old 02-22-12, 10:45 PM   #4
bassinbob

I have an STX and I love it. Great reel. As for the other two I've never used them. Welcome to the site.
Old 02-22-12, 11:46 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I own both the STX and the Pro Qualifiers. In fact, I own 3 PQ's. If given a choice, I'd take the STX, but if your looking to stretch your wallet, the PQ would be my choice. You won't find a better reel in that price range, and I'd have to be honest and say it's performance is very close to the Revos. The Revos do have a stronger drag though. You might want to look into a Revo SX as well. Thats one reel I highly recommend! And it's a little less expensive than the STX. By the way, welcome to the forums buddy!
Old 02-23-12, 11:46 AM   #6
joedog

Welcome Rich.
I'm not a PQ fan. Back when BPS sterted branding reels I got three.Two ended up with line grove wear on bail roller. Other was built like a small tank (white in color), still have it. Now for the neat part. Bass Pro has been doing this spring trade in deal for awhile. First year, I brought the two in for trade in. Was talking to the folks at the table they had set up for trade ins. They told me they would take the trade in but pulled up info and seeing I was original owner they gave me purchase price for both towards trade in. I think it was the year Quantum started the PT line because a got a couple.
If pro says thier good...thier good!
Old 02-23-12, 04:51 PM   #7
Rich in Co
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help guy's
Old 02-23-12, 05:00 PM   #8
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

he not t hijack, but will the trade in take any reel as long as it works, so i can trade in my cheaper zebco 33s and put toward a nice reel, right?
Old 02-23-12, 05:02 PM   #9
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The PQ is a well built value reel, about the only store brand I readily recommend but it's not in the same class with the STX.
Old 02-23-12, 06:10 PM   #10
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
he not t hijack, but will the trade in take any reel as long as it works, so i can trade in my cheaper zebco 33s and put toward a nice reel, right?
To the best of my knowledge, yes.
Old 02-28-12, 03:24 PM   #11
fish4942

I have the PQ and Revo SX. If I was looking for a baitcaster today between these two I would get 2 PQ in different gear ratios. The PQ feels so much like an extension of your hand it’s amazing. Each of my reels has their own characteristics, but the PQ is the most natural feeling worry free reel I own. Kind of hard to explain what I mean, but you get the point. It’s a great reel at any price let alone the $80 it’s on sale for.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 07:06 PM   #12
Rich in Co
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help guy's I ended up with a PQ & picked up a Pflueger President spinning reel, now I'm pondering new rods for each reel
Old 03-02-12, 02:53 PM   #13
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Co View Post
Thanks for the help guy's I ended up with a PQ & picked up a Pflueger President spinning reel, now I'm pondering new rods for each reel
I recommend the Abu Garcia Vendetta 7’0 Medium Heavy for the PQ. To me this rod is to rods what the PQ is to reels. Excellent quality and performance at a great price point. It’s light but it feels like a brute in your hand. Sometimes the super light rods almost make you feel like you have to baby them in hopes of not snapping them in half. The Vendetta is stout but not heavy feeling. I have 3 of them in 6’9” MH, 7’ M, and 7’3” MH. Plus BPS has the rod trade-in this weekend so you can get the 7’ MH for about $65.

I recommend the new Cabelas Tourney Trail 7’ MH split grip for the Pflueger President. Cabelas has these two in combos for $80 which I’ll probably get later when the combo price goes down.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 06:36 PM   #14
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

I am an all Shimano nut, but last year I picked up a PQ on sale on a whim and I am impressed with the reel. I have it on a rod for Chatterbaits and it really got a work out last year and stayed smooth and provided great distance. I do my own reels and I am impressed with the simplicity of the internal design. In this regard, it is similar to the Shimano's concept of keep it simple. Properly maintained, there isn't much that can go wrong with its mechanics.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.