Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-13, 06:06 PM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Question I can't figure this out?

Long story, get comfy.

Back on Jan. 27th I placed an order directly with RAM for a couple parts. I got the invoice, and an expected ship date of Jan 30th. So I have been patiently waiting - yes, so out of character. They haven't arrived yet. So I called them today THREE TIMES.

First call @ 11:15 my time (yes I allowed for Pacific time to catch up), and I get an answering machine, followed instructions to leave my order number and phone number and "someone will call me back shortly"

Second call @ 12:15 my time as they have not called me - and I get a LIVE person. I explained my issue and was told he would check my order and get back to me within a HALF HOUR.

Third call @ 16:15 my time (that's 4:15 PM, if you're scratching your head) and I get another LIVE PERSON. This person checks my order and tells me the parts I ordered are not in stock and won't be available for a 4 - 6 weeks. WTF could not the guy I spoke to on call # 2 have told me this. Oh, yes I was pizzed, and I think the guy knew it. So I asked when did he think someone would have gotten around to LETTING ME KNOW? Since they charged my credit card, you understand. I wonder if steam was comming out of his phone.

So anyway, the guy was appologetic and actually helpful, he checked the stock of one of their largest distributers in Vegas, and gave me the phone number and promised to cancel my order and get my money refunded. I'll be checking that pretty closely.

Now, the part I can't figure out - Vegas has my parts, shipping USPS Priority Mail so I should have them by Sat. The parts themselves were a buck cheaper each (than direct from the manufacturer) and with Priority Mail vs. RAM shipping UPS GROUND I am saving a whopping $9.00 and change. HTF is buying from a distributor cheaper than buying direct from the manufacturer AND CUTTING OUT THE MIDDLE MAN? And the "middle man" is obviously making a profit.

Learn from my mistake - DO NOT ORDER PARTS DIRECTLY FROM RAM.

My head is spinning, it just don't make sense. I need another glass of apple pie...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 06:13 PM   #2
Jrob78

I know that some manufacturers have deals with their retailers to never sell stuff cheaper than said retailer. Thanks for the heads up, I am about to order some parts from Ram, I will make sure and go through someone else.
Old 02-14-13, 07:28 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Sent you a PM, Joe.
Old 02-14-13, 08:09 PM   #4
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

buying direct is always higher than a distributor...always has been for the most part
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 09:56 PM   #5
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

What kinds of parts, Bruce? I only ask because of warranty considerations.
Old 02-14-13, 10:03 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Bryce, I ordered an arm and a threaded ball to mount a transducer arm on my kayak. NOT replacement parts.
Old 02-14-13, 10:19 PM   #7
nofearengineer

LMAO...I thought you were talking about parts for your truck.
Old 02-15-13, 12:13 AM   #8
bassboogieman

Uhh, I traded the RAM truck last June. But that's funny just the same.
Old 02-15-13, 12:47 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Uhh, I traded the RAM truck last June. But that's funny just the same.
Yeah, since they dropped the "Dodge", I was confuzzled.

I remember a big hassle getting my Ram mount. Weird, contradictory part numbers, out of stock crap, etc. just like yours. I ended up buying it from a guy over on the other fishing website. Got a good deal on it.
Old 02-15-13, 10:57 AM   #10
aikenyounggun

I would think the price difference is because the manufacturer isn't set up soley to sell parts, so they want more of a profit to go through the hassle to set up all the ordering, and private shipping (to one person), hiring your phone reps, etc. The manufacturer would probably just rather focus on selling bulk order to distributors then let them do the selling because that is what they are set up to do.

Just a thought.
Old 02-15-13, 04:13 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
I would think the price difference is because the manufacturer isn't set up soley to sell parts, so they want more of a profit to go through the hassle to set up all the ordering, and private shipping (to one person), hiring your phone reps, etc. The manufacturer would probably just rather focus on selling bulk order to distributors then let them do the selling because that is what they are set up to do.

Just a thought.
You're right. That and it's just bad business to undercut your distributors.
Old 02-15-13, 05:44 PM   #12
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post

Just a thought.

Thanks, I always wondered about that. It only took 59 years to find it out.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.