Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-10, 11:31 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default passing anniversary today..

and not the kind any of us want...

365 days ago i collasped in the kitchen and awoke in route to the hospital..
where i was dianoised with "acute myelogenous leukemia" or aml for short..it is the same blood born cancer that effects young childern and the elderly...

it is starting to show up in my age group-25-40- more and more..

this is the type of sh!t you don't wish on your worst favorite person..it is the eqivalent of being run over by a bus- repeatedly-..

after a couple successful chemo treatments-30-35 days each- things looked good.i was in hopes of goin back to work in january..
well guess what this nasty cancer was not done yet it reared it's ugly head. again pulling me out of remission and we danced the hi-po chemo dance,of which it nearly ended me-in a most permant manner-...
i was inturned for 75 days in the hospital,you really get to love your nurses and hate the doc's at this point.. i staggered out of forsyth medical center-fmc- in mid march.weaker than a wet kitten but i was home..-started to like hospital food.

i slowly built my strenth back. i did a consultation at duke medical center.they had been searching for a stem cell donar and have -so far-not found a match.. in the mean time i did a bone marrow test,-the hands down most painful thing i have EVER experianced in my life-for the fifth time. according to ole doc grumpy i have 10-15% of my marrow cells making aml cells.. and since i am in danger of a chemo blood count drop then face a stem cell transplant head on. he felt safer to try something new. john hppkins had to ok it's use as well as duke before it got the hook up...
the stuff is called chorlforlbine
oh boy the side effects aint no joke..insomnia,back pain,vomiting,faceal numbness,ect... i have had all except the projectile spewing one..

duke is proposing a 120+ day durham advanture this fall-lmao-with me in a bubble for 30 of them..of course duke is ONLY 7 miles from a large bass lake-falls of nuese-i have many friends in the durham area..-can i claim fishin as a rehab deductable?-

hopefully this time next year i'll be back at the same old grind -probly complaning of the same old sh!t too...

zooker
Old 06-01-10, 11:46 PM   #2
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Been a long year for ya aint it Zook? You've sure come through it well so far though. I'm right proud of you. Not sure I could maintain my composure as well as you have. We're all still praying for ya bud.
Old 06-02-10, 12:05 AM   #3
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Zook we are still praying for you and hoping you get this licked once and for all.
Old 06-02-10, 01:24 AM   #4
66KingFisher

Zooker, those of us with major medical issues tend to see life a bit different....Especially when you've had some "near death" experiences. Just know that there are alot of folks here that care for ya and think aboutcha often.....Me included and I'm one of those with my own batch of major health issues.

I learned along time ago, that no matter how sucky my life seems at times, that I don't have to look very far to find someone thats alot worse off then me.....In a weird way that kinda keeps me goin.....I'm sure something keeps you goin too.....Doesn't matter what it is, just as long as it keeps you goin bud.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 02:56 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Hang in ther buddy, I know its tough but you are handling it all very well. We are all praying for you.
Old 06-02-10, 07:54 AM   #6
keithdog

You've gone through hell and back the past year ole buddy. But you've also been an inspiration to all of us here who have watched you fight this illness. We've watched you fight to overcome, and then to take advantage of the good things life also brought to you in the better times. Your the perfect example of "never give up". I'm sure a year from now life will be at least close to normal for you again. In the meantime, just know were all pullin for you.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 09:11 AM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hang in there man! Can't really imagine what you're going through, but I know it can't be easy.

I'll look forward to hearing more fishing stories in the future!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 02:55 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

Zook - I lost my dad to colon cancer so my heart goes out to ya. Keep on fightin it and livin YOUR life and always remember that each day is another gift....use them wisely.
Old 06-02-10, 03:09 PM   #9
walkeraviator

I watched my Grandfather fight prostate AND testicular Cancer...AND blacklung... still lived to be 95 years old... tough men like you and my grandfather are few and far between, but they inspire me to strive for that tenacity...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-10, 05:32 PM   #10
bamabassman

zooker............you KNOW how i feel aobut you BROTHER. so you keep on hanging in there and fighting this. there are a lot of us here that feel the same way as i do. oyu will beat this thing. see you in september brother.
Old 06-02-10, 05:34 PM   #11
Jim80

Zooker man i hope the next year brings better health bro , me and the family will keep ya in our prayers

Jim
Old 06-02-10, 07:03 PM   #12
bcklash

Hang tough Zooker.
Old 06-02-10, 08:52 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Zooker, you're too onery to knuckle under to some wimpy ol' AML. Besides, it's a good excuse to hang out with some hot nurses.

Congratulations, and we look forward to many more years of sneaky, downward facing bass pictures.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.