Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 06-11-14, 08:10 AM   #1
MrMakk
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default A few hours, a trio of fish and a whole lot learnt.

Also upon my blog - www.alexmakkfishing.com

With the forecast for yesterday afternoon looking 'not so dry' I though having a few hours down on the cut before the weather hits wouldn't go amiss. It'll give me that chance to get my new baits wet and also the chance to try the citrix & shinjin out that I got a short time back. Originally the Citrix was going to replace the Abu 5501 I had for my 100g butch light, but another opportunity rose where I was offered a Curado 301e with a bigger line capacity than the average baitcaster reel so I took that up. Anyway enough of my ramblings and back to the fishing....
It started off slow with only a few backlashes with the reel, but it didn't take long for my thumb to know what it was suppose to do (feathering the spool on a cast) whilst I was getting more accurate after each cast. I did struggle with anything around 7g but that'll be gotten to another time. For now I was only using my little alphabets and lipless baits that arrived back from Mark Houghton after being sprayed and coated with epoxy.

The Alphabets

The Lipless

The first sign of fish was to be in a small shoal of tiny perch following the alphabet I had on, the small perch must of been about the size of the bait itself! but it looked promising as what ever I was doing seemed to interest the perch as I had several more follows from tiny fish. I wasn't until I swapped to one of the lipless, I began to have takes and yet even more follows. With a few missed takes I looked to my west and saw the clouds that were heading this way, I though to myself ''these must be the clouds that would be bringing the rain for the afternoon'' so I started to consider in having an extra hour before packing up. at that moment I had a follow from a good perch (I'd say easily a 2lber) that looked confident it taking the lipless, here I am thinking this'll be a big perch that I've had in a while, but a pair of cyclists rode passed and spooked the bugger.

still I carried on determined to have a fish and it wasn't long before I got a small perch.

A few pegs down saw me with another perch

And on my last peg before I packed up saw me with a little jack.

All in all a good few hours well spent, managed my first perch on a lipless bait & enjoyed learning and using the shinjin and citrix with lighter lures and I even managed to miss the rain, as the clouds kept to my right. Hopefully should be out again with Ian in next couple of days.

Last edited by MrMakk; 06-11-14 at 09:15 AM.
MrMakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 06:45 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I really like the paint jobs on those lipless cranks. Looks like your having fun!
Old 06-12-14, 08:31 AM   #3
the pyromaniac

I love the coloration on the pike on your side of the Atlantic.....
Old 06-12-14, 09:11 AM   #4
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great report MrMakk! That's a slick looking combo.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:34 AM   #5
MrMakk

Thank all,

I'll be of out in a while as my buddy Ian want a couple hours out on the canal, I'm taking this combo again as I really want to get used to it, usually in the past when I've used multiplier/baitcast reels its usually for flicking 2oz+ Baits, so this is whole new territory for me

I'm glad you like the baits, I myself love em and the pictures really don't do them justice.

Mark is a close to having the lipless as part of his range he offers, he's dropped a few hints over on Facebook and a UK lure forum. So (If allowed on here) I'll drop a hint for anyone that is interested in the Baits, best get in contact with Mark and speak to him as he'll sort you out from there,

He makes (Balsa) and Paints (the balsa & plastic) baits for a living, & if I'm correct he does offer free shipping & handling to overseas customers on orders over £30.

his page
http://mhcustomlures.blogspot.co.uk/

his Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/MarkHoughtonCustomLures

Like I said if interested best contact Mark through Facebook or his main page, and He'll sort you out from there.

Alex,

Last edited by MrMakk; 06-12-14 at 11:00 AM.
MrMakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 06:56 AM   #6
lilmule

His 56mm A cranks look more akin to a wakebait,than say a bandit 100.
And have to agree the color on your pike are considerably different and vibrant.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 10:27 AM   #7
MrMakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
His 56mm A cranks look more akin to a wakebait,than say a bandit 100.
And have to agree the color on your pike are considerably different and vibrant.

They do run down to a couple ft depth, but what I like about them is that they slowly rise up again allowing more hang time at a certain depth were the fish could be biting. I've noticed with a lot of the US marketed cranks, a lot of em are deep diving especially when we look at the angle of the lip/bill.
Old 06-13-14, 05:49 PM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Sounds great a great trip. Those are some nice looking crankbaits and some beautiful fish you've got there.

I hope you'll be joining us after we move to BassChat (http://basschat.yuku.com/directory)

BB
Old 06-14-14, 12:45 AM   #9
MrMakk

Thanks,

I guess this forum is mover host or something other?
Old 06-14-14, 01:19 PM   #10
lilmule

We also have a lot of shallow crankbaits,our wakebaits dive to 1 ft or so often 1.5 and do have that lip at a steeper angle.Several of his baits remind me of balsa Bagley B flats not only in shape but color and eyes,discontinued here.
As for over dunno all aint over till the fat lady sings.Im sure if it is you be notified on fb of the new site.Possibly someone will provide you with a link here. http://basschat.yuku.com/ happens to be a site some frequent.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.