Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-10, 08:52 PM   #26
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nofear.....correct me if i am wrong here, but i THINK that it is a FEDERAL law that if you work for 8 hours minimum, you are ENTITLED to recieve at least a 30 minute break. ON or OFF the clock. It could be broke into smaller breaks if the employees want. I work and have worked in several places that did this.
Old 01-23-10, 09:26 PM   #27
nofearengineer

Bama...most employers do give you a 30 minute or even more lunch off of the clock. However, they are under no legal obligation to do so. Like I said, all they are required to do is keep you on the clock if it's going to be less than 30 minutes.

Now, if they said when they hired you that you would get a 30 minute lunch, plus two 15 minute "on the clock" breaks for each 8 hour shift, then that is an agreement they made with you, and they have to honor it like any other contract. But it isn't a labor law, just good practice.
Old 01-23-10, 11:38 PM   #28
bamabassman

Ok.....not mad or nothing. Just that I was always taught otherwise. I am gonna have to look this up for real.
Old 01-26-10, 11:22 AM   #29
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Bama...most employers do give you a 30 minute or even more lunch off of the clock. However, they are under no legal obligation to do so. Like I said, all they are required to do is keep you on the clock if it's going to be less than 30 minutes.

Now, if they said when they hired you that you would get a 30 minute lunch, plus two 15 minute "on the clock" breaks for each 8 hour shift, then that is an agreement they made with you, and they have to honor it like any other contract. But it isn't a labor law, just good practice.
I dunno...back in the day (70's) I remember, my company applied for a special exemption to allow for a 20 minute paid lunch period (vs. 30 minutes unpaid). Department of labor interviewed all affected employees before issuing the exemption. Perhaps NYS is 'special', but I think breaks and a defined meal period are required by most state labor laws.
Old 01-26-10, 12:57 PM   #30
nofearengineer

New York State is certainly "special."

They have more laws than could possibly ever be followed correctly.

However, I did a little research, and found a site with a simple, easy to follow list.

http://www.employmentlawfirms.com/wa...ak-periods.htm

I can't vouch for the veracity of their information, as it's not a government site, but it's probably accurate.

All of these "break laws" appear to be State determined.
Old 01-26-10, 01:30 PM   #31
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You are right on this one NoFear.

I was wrong when I said it was a federal law. It is a law that governs Federal Employees. It also applies in several states, but each one is different in how it is applied.

Taken from the Department of Labor website

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Bona fide meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable.
Old 01-26-10, 07:11 PM   #32
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
You are right on this one NoFear.

I was wrong when I said it was a federal law. It is a law that governs Federal Employees. It also applies in several states, but each one is different in how it is applied.

Taken from the Department of Labor website

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished.

Bona fide meal periods (typically lasting at least 30 minutes), serve a different purpose than coffee or snack breaks and, thus, are not work time and are not compensable.
That jives much more with my work exp. At Sears, I was made to go on lunch breaks, but I was offered a few short 15 minute paid breaks as well. I have never had a break working at a hotel, although its not the sort of job that really is that tough.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.