Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-10, 08:17 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 2 stroke TCW3 oil

So I stopped at wallymart and thought I get ahead on oil.
All the gallon 2 stroke oils were TCW3...Super Tech - $10.25, Penzoil - $15.50, Johnson Evenrude $25, QuickSilver $??

So what's your oil of choice and if they're all TCW3's is the more expensive oils really any better?? I'm leaning towards the Penzoil but thought I'd get some feedback.

Thanks
Old 03-17-10, 09:21 PM   #2
woody

Abbeysdad, It's been Penzoil for me too.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-10, 10:37 PM   #3
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

I use the cheapest.. If they all meet specs...I had on old motor maybe 35 years ago I used to use automotive waste oil in the mixture. I don't recommend it.
Old 03-18-10, 10:43 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man....my Optimax oil is super expensive. Even the Quicksilver option is 2.5x those brands. You guys are lucky.
Old 03-18-10, 12:30 PM   #5
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use what is recommended for my engine. The Mercury oil is expensive but when I'm dealing with something so important to the performance and overall life of the engine I am not gonna use anything else. On the Mercury website the premium plus oil is around $33. I picked up some Quicksilver premium plus, which is basically the same stuff, for $30/gallon at Gander Mountain. I think Ronb said that he found some for $24.99 somewhere, maybe Walmart?

Edit: Yep here is Ronb's post about it http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=23271
Old 03-18-10, 03:15 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I just got a case (three 1-gallon jugs) of Mercury Optimax oil for $99, shipped on Amazon. Hated buying it all at once like that, but with what I already have in my oil tank, it should last me most of the year.
Old 03-18-10, 03:57 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

In part, the point of the question was that if it meets or exceeds the TCW3 spec, is price really relevant?
Is TCW3 Quicksilver or Mercury or Johnson Evinrude really any better than TCW3 Penzoil ?
(just not sure I see how and we end up paying for branding)
Old 03-18-10, 04:28 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Abbey, just because an oil meets the TWC3 spec, doesn't mean it is the appropriate oil for an engine. A standard is a minimum level of performance. My Optimax oil, for example, is a TWC3-compliant blend. However, it supposedly has other additives that make it better for Optimax engines.

I personally think this is probably a bunch of crap, but not being a chemical engineer, I can't prove it. My level of belief in this is lower than my willingness to risk seeing my engine go boom, so I keep paying through the nose. The difference in expense is far, far less than the cost of a new engine.

Personally, I don't think anyone here is qualified (myself definitely included, see above) to say whether or not any of these oils is better than any of the others. If what you're looking for is testimonials of prolonged use with no problems, that is a different story. However, keep in mind that an oil might be of less quality such to cause 10% more engine failures, but if you're only talking to the other 90%, you'll never know it. (and I think a 10% greater chance would be enough to keep you from using it, right?)
Old 03-18-10, 06:56 PM   #9
zooker

i have been usin quicksilver for 5-6 years now in my yammer.-don't tell laser- no problems.. besides i was not payin $40 a gallon fer yammerlube..
best deal i have gotten is take your empty gallon jug to the local boat shop and buy it in bulk..

zooker
Old 03-18-10, 09:01 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

Okay, so I got out the manual (for my 90hp Mercury outboard with oil injection), which says:

Mercury or Quicksilver Premium TC-W3 2-cycle oil is recommended for your engine. If Mercury or Quicksilver outboard oil is not available, substitute another brand of 2-cycle oil that is NMMA certified TC-W3. Severe engine damage may result from use of an inferior oil.

The filler cap on my oil reservoir is stamped TC-WII or TC-WIII.

Maybe I'll wimp out and get the Quicksilver, but I think just maybe we're being had.
Old 03-18-10, 09:24 PM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
best deal i have gotten is take your empty gallon jug to the local boat shop and buy it in bulk..
Man....I wish I could do that. All of the local marine dealers here gave me a look like I just told them I slept with their baby sister when I asked them to do that. I'm sure it's different in a bigger boating market. I think now that I've resolved to travel a bit, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for dealers who will do it, and whenever I'm in town, I'll get some filled up at bulk rate.

I'm with Abbey on this one...I'm pretty sure we're getting hosed.
Old 03-18-10, 10:46 PM   #12
Bender

The local dealer back in Michigan would do the bulk thing, but the oil you buy has to match the jug you bring in. I think they sold refills on Yamaha 2M for $30 compared to $34 or $36. I got lucky last year and got a case for nearly free from a hook up, but not this year. Gander is very expensive on their oil price in general and wants $40/gal of 2M. I need to find a local supplier since I go through a lot up here.

On the exact subject my motor is under warranty so I won't use anything other than 2M. I remember reading somewhere that Penzoil had the O.K. from Merc. but I can't remember where or which motors.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 12:16 AM   #13
g_rigor
BassFishin.Com Member

I have an older pre-mix type outboard and I have used penzoil for 10 years. I think there are different types of penzoil marine oils. Some are for injected type engines and others are for older style outboards. Being a mechanic for the last 22 years I can say that the most expensive oil is not always the best. I guess it's just up to how much money you want to spend.
g_rigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:50 PM   #14
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

you guys need to check out suncoast marine the oil there is the cheapest i have yet to find, a case of gallons for xd 50 was 125, but i ordered 2 cases of pints for 98, thats 6 gallons for 98 unreal, plus merc and yama are about the same price of quicksilver maybe cheaper, plus shipping was real cheap
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 02:43 PM   #15
fishbone
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigass View Post
you guys need to check out suncoast marine the oil there is the cheapest i have yet to find, a case of gallons for xd 50 was 125, but i ordered 2 cases of pints for 98, thats 6 gallons for 98 unreal, plus merc and yama are about the same price of quicksilver maybe cheaper, plus shipping was real cheap
I looked at their site and didn't see where oil, or anything other than boats was for sale.
fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 07:41 AM   #16
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

suncoast marine oil and lubes
Old 03-29-10, 07:58 PM   #17
bamabassman

Gonna check with my dealer and see if i can take a jug to get some oil. Thanks!
Old 03-30-10, 09:54 PM   #18
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

just got 2 cases of pints which is 6 gallons to my door for 131 including shipping thats a great deal. 12 cheaper than going to a dealer and getting a bulk price.
Old 03-31-10, 09:13 PM   #19
champman

Default oil can be a slippery slope

hey abbysdad,
i have been using the wal-mart tc3 oil in my 175 merc. for 21 years now with no problems at all....... hope i didn't just jinks myself!!!
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 01:59 AM   #20
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by champman View Post
hey abbysdad,
i have been using the wal-mart tc3 oil in my 175 merc. for 21 years now with no problems at all....... hope i didn't just jinks myself!!!
The Pro Tech in the blue container?
Old 04-01-10, 05:30 PM   #21
bamabassman

Thatis what i have been using for 4 years as well. No problems for me either.
Old 04-02-10, 05:49 PM   #22
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I run Amsoil HPI in my Optimax...a little cheaper than the Mercury, but a little more than the Quicksilver. Never a problem.
Old 04-03-10, 09:30 AM   #23
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
The Pro Tech in the blue container?
Oops, I meant Super Tech in the blue container.

Well, I wimped out and got a gallon of the Penzoil.
Old 04-03-10, 08:04 PM   #24
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911 View Post
I run Amsoil HPI in my Optimax...a little cheaper than the Mercury, but a little more than the Quicksilver. Never a problem.
+!, all the way!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.