Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-09, 07:28 PM   #1
bassackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default how hard is it to change an impeller

i think my water pump is not up to par befor i go taren in to it i would like to know what im getten in to. at idle hardly pumping any water sayes 5 on gage. o and how does the moter keep from geting water in the carbs ?
(i was looken and it,just looked like if water got in that split houseing it would come in the back of the intake plate like if you stoped quick and water came over the back like it does some times)thanks for the info ans sorry for all the questions
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 07:50 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Didn't understand the part about water getting in the carbs, the water tube shouldnt end up anywhere near the carbs.

Replacing the impeller is like a lot of plumbing. If things go right it is an easy 30 minute job.

If you have trouble getting the foot off...well you got to get the foot off. I had to grind a bolt in two to do mine. Also make sure the grommets in the water pump housing and at the bottom of the block are intact or replace them. You might have to pull the head to replace the grommet under the block. As you might be able to see, ideally its easy.
Old 03-18-09, 07:51 PM   #3
OrygunBasser

Getting a manual for your boat is a must, factory is best but there are others that will do in a pinch. Mercury is easier than OMC, the impellar is smaller and easier for one guy to install, however the omc in the larger engines is a horse and can take two people to get it in the housing. They should be done every two years at least and if you put a lot of hours on it you should do it every year!

And to the other question, The air inlet is higher than you think but it can happen!
Old 03-18-09, 07:58 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

5 psi is normal reading on some gauges.. the whole point is what is your water pressure at wot?... anything over 20 is great..

zooker
Old 03-18-09, 08:53 PM   #5
bassackwards

with it wide open i get around 15 to 20 on gage
Old 03-19-09, 03:35 PM   #6
Scott McGehee
BassFishin.Com Member

if it's a Mercury, anything over 15 at wot is fine.
Scott McGehee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 06:03 PM   #7
boater

You won't get alot of water squirt out of a Mercury at an idle
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-09, 06:28 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Replacing an impellar on an outboard is a two step process. First squirt the bolts/nuts with liquid wrench. Next day start the lower unit removel.

Vasaline is needed to coat the new impellar and the upper connection of the water pipe. By the way it is possible to install the impellar backwards on Mercs. so remember remember how the impellar was on removal.

The other issue is the speedo tube. Becarefull not break off the nipple to the speedo hose.

One other thing is to lightly sand the drive shaft so the new impeller does not get damaged.

Other than those issues it is not bad..

One last item is the lower unit should just slide up tight without any binds.

Good luck..

Capt Mike
Old 03-19-09, 07:57 PM   #9
bassackwards

thanks for the info
Old 03-20-09, 09:12 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

What motor ya got bud. Memory is failing me. After you tell me what motor ya got I will post the complete procedure on how to change it out.

I dont understand what oregonbasser is talkin bout. The impellar on all engines is just about the same to change out ..just a little different procedure is all.

On another note your numbers are just about up to par ..........the idle number is somewhat low for an OMC motor....its ust about right for a Merc or hammer. What I like to see is a good STRONG steam. What I mean is when sitting there in idle in calm water look at where the pee stream is hitting the water. It should be makeing a dent and a good one in the water. Volume is just as important as well as pressure. The 2 are different. You can have decent pressure and be lacking volume.
Old 03-20-09, 01:31 PM   #11
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
I dont understand what oregonbasser is talkin bout. The impellar on all engines is just about the same to change out ..just a little different procedure is all.
I had an early (1986) Mercury 150 and the impellar was a lot thinner and a bit smaller and easier to install than my 200 Johnson. Even though I used vasaline, it took two of us to get the new one in. It was a lot stiffer and thicker.
Old 03-20-09, 05:03 PM   #12
bassackwards

at idle just don't seem like enof volume laser
Old 03-20-09, 09:51 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

Ok oregon I understand what u are talkin bout now. Here's a little tip for you and others that might help you out the next time around. Use regular old dish soap as a lubricant when installing the new impellar. Not only slippery as owl crap but washes out the instant the outboard is fired up. Another little bit of info ......when installing the impellar after you have it seated on the bottom housing plate.....slide the impellar housing down to the impellar and get 2 or 3 of the impellar blades just started into the housing. Now as you apply slight pressure downward on the impellar housing turn the driveshaft. The housing will drop over the impellar as you do this. Works like a charm even on the stiffer shorter impellar blades of the OMC outboards you are refeerring to. I own one and know what you are talking about.

Bassackwards
If memory serves me right you have a 150 on the Winner hull correct???.......OK here is my recommend. First thing I would do is inspect the T-stats and the pitot valve. If you dont have a manual for your engine gimme a holler and I will hunt up the illustration for you and post it up. The t-stats have prolly never been cleaned and servied. Servicing normally is no more than cleaning up ....removing any weeds etc that have found there way in.....installing new gaskets and reassembling. After that fire her up again and see if its not better. Then if it still seems to be lacking the volume we are talking about I would suspect the housing more than the impellar itself. CHANGE BOTH...........the impellar and hosuing come as a kit and for approx $35 from mercpartsexpress.com...plus shipping of course.
Old 03-21-09, 12:03 PM   #14
boater

My promax at an idle ,as well as opti maxs I have seen barely spit a little more than dropletts at an idle. do you have a temp guage?if so watch it,see what you have .volume is not everything thermostats are in there to hold water back to get to running temp.
I removed mine once and was told to reinstall them tio keep motor from locing up in COLD water

Just my $.02
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-09, 01:18 PM   #15
bassackwards

i don't have a temp gage (seen a spot on the head that looked like one went there but no wire ill take a pic to show yall
Old 03-21-09, 02:21 PM   #16
bassackwards

ok i got 3 pic's first at idle about 1000 rpm, second were i think a temp gage wires up,and 3 a bernt wire i don't know what it does just found it think might be for high temp alarme

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/HPIM0484.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/HPIM0485.jpg

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/w...9/HPIM0486.jpg
Old 03-21-09, 02:26 PM   #17
bassackwards

o yea and at about 3050 rpm im getten 15psi on gage.
don't know y but the damn thing seems to be doen better to day than before

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.