Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-09, 01:17 AM   #1
bingham
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham
Question question about seafoam...

I have found seafoam and was very close to buying it, BUT, what exactly does it do? i have finally gotten my gas tanks cleaned out for the most part, meaning there is a slight chance there is something in it but i have drained them about 100 times through...i have got the boat running off of a seperate 6 gallon gas tank but not yet the actual tanks in the boat. they are made into the boat (90 model ranger, tanks are dual side-by-side---may be 60 gallons together) and its a doozie to get them out. but when i asked, someone told me the motor may lock up with putting seafoam into it but they werent completely sure. i have a newer yamaha pro v 175, what does the seafoam help and will it have any negative affect on my boat? if not... how much do i put in compared to how much gas? thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by bingham; 03-14-09 at 01:44 AM.
bingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 05:57 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Seafoam is a state of the art hi-tech fuel engine additive that was painstakingly crafted and developed after years of research by the finest scientists in the world.

In 1930. Which means a couple things. First, it has a legit track record. I use it in my 1986 Johnson and it works for me. I have used it in trucks (both my engine and transmission), lawnmowers, weedeaters and gas powered icecream makers as well. There are many people on this board who have recomended it before. I don't generally think the chances that it will harm your engine are very high....at all. Thats not a guarantee, but it is very widely used. What does it do? I know it cleans carbon deposits in 2 strokes, you can see from all the smoke your engine will spew for minutes after using.

Last edited by WTL; 03-14-09 at 06:20 AM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 06:47 AM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

LOL I dont kow about the scientist part but one thing I am sure of IT WORKS and the possiblity of it blowing a power head is like 1 in a million. Seafoam is a carefully blended fuel additive that serves 3 purposes. First off it does do the same job as Stabil. It will stabilize the breakdown of fuel in your tank. Second it will remove any accumulated deposits from your fuel system that will break down. No it wont dissolve grit or sticks as such.....but deposits left behind from moisture...cheap oil....or old or bad gas......the third GREAT thing that it does is remove coking (the buildup of carbon deposits on the interior of the engine)...ie pistons reed valves or valves in a 4 stroke, ring lands etc etc.
The only possibility and as I stated it is a 1 in a million shot is if the engine is coked up bad enough and the engine is old enough that coking has gotten behind the rings and actually built up to the point that it is pushing the rings out towards the cylinder wall. I GURANTEE you if that is the case you would have noticed problems LONG BEFORE you decided to use Seafoam and then the only real problem is that the motor might smoke more heavily than before you used Seafoam. It does not lean out the mixture. So to make a long story short DO NOT be afraid to use this miracle mechanic in a can. I have used it for years............I have had others use it and they all have the same results......there engines run better,longer and most of the time a little faster.
Old 03-14-09, 08:39 AM   #4
bassackwards

got a question will it mess with the fule water sep? just asking because i don't know how those work yet or what kind of filter is in them
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:42 AM   #5
1FASTLASER

No sir no problems there at all. I would suggest and shoulda.......after a good shock treatment of Seafoam to visually inspect those filters. This would be just incase the Seafoam has dislodged any foreign material in the tank or lines leading to the motor.
Old 03-14-09, 08:47 AM   #6
bassackwards

ok thanks just wanted to know
bassackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 08:57 AM   #7
bamabassman

hey the stuff is MAGIC, magic i tell ya. it came frome outer space i think. cuz it works. that's all i know about it, it works.
Old 03-14-09, 09:31 AM   #8
JB

thanks to fastlaser that sea foam got denny and me out of trouble, his motor quit firing when we were miles and miles away from the ramp, got some seafoam and it cranked right over and has been purring ever since
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 10:15 AM   #9
zooker

if you have a yamaha out board the recommend ringfree which is a good product but in reality seafoam is way better and cheaper...by the way if it is a yammer you can't adjust the tunning on the carbs to use the 87 octane gas.. it is tuned for the crap that japan burns -83-85 octane-jungle juice/rice wine mixer.. burning 87 octane you will get carbon build up using seafoam keeps the moter clean and running good.. you should use seafoam in every tank of gas.. i put 1 once in forevery 6 gallons of gas.. this is a normal set up..

to do a shock treatment i add 1 once per gallon of gas i do it three times a year and burn it out. then and ONLY then change the plugs. and check your filters-i change out the fuel filter when i do this-

i buy seafoam in gallon cans at auto zone..

zooker
Old 03-14-09, 10:41 AM   #10
bingham

Send a message via Skype™ to bingham

will it hurt to run 93 octane in it? thats what i got it running with and i have ran about 5 gallons of it through since its been runnin...

and your tellin me if i have a 24 gallon tank to use 4 cans of foam?

and what is a shock treatment exactly? why do you do it and what does it help?

im no boat techno guys i really appreciate all of the help!!!
Old 03-14-09, 10:52 AM   #11
JB

it would be 4 ounces for 24 gallons of fuel
as zooker stated , he uses one ounce per 6 gallons of fuel
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 01:09 PM   #12
zooker

bingham

NEVER run high test in yamaha moters.. you will end up with more carbine build up in that engine than you can fix.. remember the moters are timed and tuned to use 83-85 octane. using 87 octane-regular unleaded- is ok but not the higher grades of gas..

i got my yammer after many years of running johnson's and rudes.. i too dumped high test in it. big mistake. since my moter was under warranty it cost me nothing. but they had to tear down the head and "re-polish" the cylinder walls and put new rings on the pistons. they removed 3 pounds of carbon from my moter. it looked like ground creosote. so no NEVER use high test in a yamaha..

i use a shot glass measuring cup that measure up to 2 ounces.. i am very anal about this..

zooker
Old 03-14-09, 02:06 PM   #13
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
bingham

NEVER run high test in yamaha moters.. you will end up with more carbine build up in that engine than you can fix.. remember the moters are timed and tuned to use 83-85 octane. using 87 octane-regular unleaded- is ok but not the higher grades of gas..

i got my yammer after many years of running johnson's and rudes.. i too dumped high test in it. big mistake. since my moter was under warranty it cost me nothing. but they had to tear down the head and "re-polish" the cylinder walls and put new rings on the pistons. they removed 3 pounds of carbon from my moter. it looked like ground creosote. so no NEVER use high test in a yamaha..

i use a shot glass measuring cup that measure up to 2 ounces.. i am very anal about this..

zooker
Zooker, you know your stuff! I don't know of any outboards that require super but there probably are some. People think they are doing there engine a favor buy running it but are actually doing harm as you describe!

My 200 Johnson has starting and idling problems with super, I found out by getting fuel at a local marina because I had to one time and later found out that it was super after complaining to them about poor running.

As to the seafoam, This is interesting because it has only three main ingreadients! Without going and checking for the exact ratios, it is aproximatly 10-15% Alchohol, 20-30% Pale oil and the rest is nothing more than Naptha! I have no Idea why it works but it does, I soaked an old valve in it for a week and it did nothing, maybe it's the heat. I actually mix my own additive now with Marvel Mystery oil and Naphtha. I leave out the alcohol. (Todays fuels have enough allready). Seems to work as well or maybe even better! I'm a bit of a maverick anyway and it's a whole bunch cheaper!

I also run Amsoil in everything I have that moves!

Seafoam cannot hurt anything you put it in.

Last edited by OrygunBasser; 03-14-09 at 10:03 PM.
OrygunBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 05:49 PM   #14
zooker

the only outboard moters that benifit from high test unleaded are special racing moters which are highly modified.

zooker
Old 03-14-09, 06:27 PM   #15
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

glad i read this today.. i was going to get seafoam tonight or tomorrow to do a de-carb.. this is what they told me on iboats

Quote:
Decarb, take a can of seafoam put 3/4 of it in the gas tank, with only 1 gallon of premixed gas. put the rest in a spray bottle. start the engine, and let it come up to temperature. then remove plugs, and them some real good shot of seafoam into the cylinders, replace plugs, let sit 15 minutes. restart, and spray the rest of the seafoam into the carbs, so the the motor almost stalls, wait and repeat until the seafoam is gone.then take for a wide open spin. then put in new plugs, ad premixed gas to the tank, and take it for a wide open throttle spin. it is going to smoke like a house on fire, during this process.

what size can would that be?

also would that prevent me from having to take the carb off fully and cleaning it all? i'm probally going to do it anyway.. but would this still help?
Old 03-14-09, 07:26 PM   #16
bamabassman

sounds to me like it would help photog. i am gonna seafoam my cajun here in a couple of days. just to make sure it is ok. i am probably gonna be like ol zooker before it is over with, starting to get very anal about the cajun. looking at scrubing and waxing and vacuming and so forth. and i'll probably change out the plugs when i re-seafoam it.
Old 03-14-09, 07:34 PM   #17
MrPhotographer06

alright..

how much is in a can of seafoam?

and i'm ready for another boat i want a closed front runabout or a real bass boat..

i'd kinda rather have the closed front runabout
Old 03-14-09, 07:35 PM   #18
WTL

Like $6. You can get it at walmart.

Sorry, misread your post. How much is in it? Looks like 7 oz give or take a few - thats memory. I dont consider adding seafoam an exact science, there is no set amount I use. I normally just run enough in the carb to get the engine to stall, give it 5 minutes, then start it back up and blow the gunk out. There are a couple ways to skin this cat though. Some just put the can in the gas tank.
Old 03-14-09, 07:38 PM   #19
MrPhotographer06

well i was going to ask that too.. but whats the fluid ozs of one?
Old 03-14-09, 09:20 PM   #20
DJ_Callahan_27

Don't remember how much is in a can. But I can tell you that you don't have to spray any into the carbs. I didn't and it cleaned my carbs great. My old 84 Johnson 150 wouldn't hardly Idle at all and even running down the lake it would load up and die because of the carbs and I added a shock treatment of seafoam to the gas in mine and ran the tank dry (15 gallon tank). It smoked like nobodys business but the more I ran it the better it got. After that I changed the plugs and now it idles great and runs like a new motor. So now I'm a big fan of Seafoam thanks to Lancer, Laser, and Zooker how all sujected I give it a try. Thanks guys
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 09:51 PM   #21
MrPhotographer06

alrighty i'll do that..

think one can to a two gallons is good enough? [they said 1 gallon]
Old 03-14-09, 09:57 PM   #22
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Callahan_27 View Post
But I can tell you that you don't have to spray any into the carbs. Thanks guys
Actually it really helps with the decarb and that's the whole idea to really shock it. I do it once a year, (Even though with the HP injector synthetic oil from Amsoil I probably do not have to). SeaFoam comes in a spray can also and it's called "Deep Creep"! I run the heavy mixture through the engine, remove the plugs and spray a generous amount into each carb while its running and then I try and flood the engine out buy doing this, Then let it set over night. Then after calling the fire department so they do not send out a fire truck, also, your neighbors are going to hate you! I start it and run it in the morning. It's actually better to then take in out right away and run the begezez out of it as this will help really get the lostened carbon blown out!

Do not fool yourselves thinking that SeaFoam is a carb cleaner, it is not, especially if they are really dirty. It's mostly a carbon cleaner and a product that will help keep your carbs from getting gunked up in the first place.
Old 03-14-09, 10:01 PM   #23
OrygunBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
alrighty i'll do that..

think one can to a two gallons is good enough? [they said 1 gallon]
You really do not have to run that much through your engine, actually a half gallon with a half of a can will work fine. And you do not have to run that whole thing through it, just long enought that you know that it has worked it's way through out the system. Then just dump the rest into your regular tank!
Old 03-14-09, 10:07 PM   #24
MrPhotographer06

hmm..

i've already got two gallons in the tank, but i'll dump it out and then run the half can/half gal. then mix up some more gas

i dont have any synthetic oil but can i run the motor on regular two stroke oil? like chainsaw, weedeater and oil like that? i have like 4 quarts and a special mixing bottle so i can get ratios right
Old 03-14-09, 10:24 PM   #25
bamabassman

NO,NO NO! do NOT use anything BUT marine oil.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.