Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-10-07, 03:51 PM   #1
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Don't Know Where To Start

I am new to bass fishing and really need some advice on how to get started. I bought a bought a couple weeks back and have had it out four or five times since then. I have not caught a single fish. I used to do fairly well off the banks catfishing but this is way different. any advice on how to choose lure colrs and types and how to find fish would be greatly appreciated. thanks
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 07:26 PM   #2
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off, welcome. There are lots of guys here to help you out. But first, it might be a little better to post a little on the equipment you use, and where you fish, along with the conditions. Then, we can give you better advice.
Old 06-10-07, 09:09 PM   #3
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

like cranky said, we have no idea what your water fishes like so we may be way off until you extrappalate. My advice is to take a gary yamamoto senko, rig it texas-style weightless (use search feature), and fish it s-l-o-w-l-y around shady cover like boat docks. any thing that gets the sun out of the fish's eyes will probably hold fish. most of the fish go deep this time of year, but ones staying shallow will be more accesible to someone of a newb status
good luck
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 11:40 PM   #4
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

my boat is a procraft 170 it has a motorguide trolling motor and it does have a humminbird 100sx fishfinder. as far as rod and reel i have a browning baitcaster on a 7 foot med hvy rod and also a zebco genesis spinning reel on a 6.5 foot med rod. i have probably about 8 or 9 spinner baits white, chartreuse, white and chartresuse, red and white, blue and white, red, and black and red. ithink most have colorado blades. i also have six or so buzzbaits. black and red, white, chartreuse. etc some are small some are 3/16 oz some 3/8. i have several crank baits one or two small minnows rapala. i have about 6 or 7 norman crankbaits about 3 shallow runners crawfish, white, white and blue and shad. 3 or 4 medium runners. chartreuse, bluegill, craw fish. i boot some zoom lizards pumpkin seed and watermelon. and also bought some grape culprit 7.5 inch worms. one chrome and red rat l trap and one black jitterbug. the water at most of the lakes here is stained sometimes even muddy we have had a lot of rain over the past month or so
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-07, 12:46 AM   #5
RyDogg

hey man. use your spinning reel and med-action rod unless your really good with the baitcaster. If the crankbaits, spinners, and buzzbaits arent working for you, go to the basics. The zoom lizards sound good. Just use a weightless hook with it and a split shot about 3 1/2 to 4 feet up the line. and toss it to the shore and around structure and retrieve slowly. My personal favorite that has worked great for me is the 6'' blue fleck and pumpkinseed powerbait worm. Either use em with a jig hook or a weightless hook the same way as the lizard. Another thing you can do if all else fails. Is just get some live worms, put em on a jig hook and put a bobber about 4 feet up the line and just throw it near shore structure and dead trees and anything like that.
Old 06-15-07, 10:54 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to a life-long obsession!

Sounds like you have a solid foundation tackle wise. The thing to remember is bass like cover-flooded trees, weed beds, pads, rocks, etc.-so that is where to fish-in and around cover. Here is a real nutshell "how I fish different baits":

Crankbaits-contact is key with lipped baits and speed is key with lipless. My favorite 2 ways to fish lipped baits is to throw shallow running square billed baits like a Bandit 100 Series into flooded trees. The square bill deflects off branches and is surprisingly snag free. A hit usually comes when it deflects off a branch. The other way is to throw a deep running crank shallow so it digs into the bottom and creates a mud trail like a crawfish. Lipless-I like to crank them fast for a reaction bite. If I can find a bank with the wind blowing onto it so much the better.

Spinnerbaits and buzzbaits-I just use a steady retrieve and vary the speed to find what the fish want.

Soft plastics-there really are only 4 ways to rig and fish them but there are thousands of variations:

Texas Rig-uses a hook, bullet weight, and a weedless rigged soft plastic. Cast them out and use a lift and drop retrieve.

Weightless T-rig-no weight. Cast it out, let it settle, and work it with gentle twitches of the rod tip. I probably fish this rig more than any. This is were a Senko-type bait really shines. There are a lot of brands out there-Senko, Yum Dinger, and Tiki Stick just to name a few.

Wacky rig-bend the bait in half and hook it right in the middle. Cast it out,let it sink and fish it with real slow twitches. Works best with a straight tailed worm.

Carolina or C-Rig-a horizontal presentation. Cast it out and drag it back keeping contact with the bottom.

If you look at the rigs stickied at the top of this forum you can see them all.

Just remember to fish around cover and you ought to start catching them.
Old 07-03-07, 01:56 PM   #7
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information on this site.

You have just been schooled by the best, listen to what he has to say. And you will catch fish
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-07, 08:02 PM   #8
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuckFinn View Post
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information on this site.

You have just been schooled by the best, listen to what he has to say. And you will catch fish
I second that! Reb is THE MAN ( okay, one of THE MEN, along with many others on here who dole out great advice for us newbies). As they say, some of these guys (like Reb) have forgotten more than we'll ever know, so it is wise to listen.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.