Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 08-22-07, 06:23 PM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How Much Line On A Spinning Reel?

Some of you may know that recently I had problems with Trilene XT, or XL or whatever it is on my spinning reel.

I have decided to remove it (most of it) from my spinning reel. I purchased Stren Super Braid in a 125 yard spool. Since I had previously removed a fair amount of the Trilene, but am unsure about how much I should pull off.

Logic tells me that I only need about 3 ft more than my furthest cast will ever be. I would guesstimate that I won't ever be casting more than 60 yards. So, if I choose to use 60 yards (+3 ft?), how do I determine how much I need to remove from my already somewhat depleted spool?

I notice that the braid is a lot smaller in diameter than my old monofilament, so even if I knew how much mono was already removed, I would still have to figure in the smaller diameter of the braid to account for the difference between the two.

Lastly-how full should I fill the spool? Someone on this site told me once before that there should be at least 1/4 of the edge of the spool still exposed. I thought these things worked on a drag principal with a fuller spool offering less resistance equates to a longer cast?

I already started spooling it, I have about 3/16" of the spool lip left uncovered. I think I will call it quits here, and see how it works.

By the way, I paid $14.99 + $1.24 (tax)=$16.23 for 125 yards. The Spider Wire was less, but I am familiar with Stren so I went with what I felt comfortable with.

Looking at this stuff closely it looks exactly like what a doctor would sew you up with if you had a cut that required stitches.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 06:36 PM   #2
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Should have went with Powerpro, only about 13$ for 125yds. But 3/16" sounds fine, and I would put 10yds+ more then your farthest cast as opposed to 3yds just to be safe, and because you will end up re-tieing and what not. Braid will cut you very easily so be careful in that aspect. What pound test did you get?
Old 08-22-07, 07:00 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Perhaps you put the trilene on your spool upside down?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 07:25 PM   #4
lizardsrule

How much does your spool handle, ie there should be some specs on it where it tells you 6lb 200yrd, 8lbs 175yrds, 10lb 150yrds etc..(probably not these exact numbers though rotfl). Anyways, you can put as much or as little of it on as you want. since it's a 125yrd spool, I would use 87.5yrds 2 times. Meaning to spool up the first part with your mono, then add the braid. Now heres, the big kicker, and is just my personal opinion. Spinning reels don't cast as well once the line is down to half of the spool. So personally I would just fill up half the spool with mono, then tie on the braid and finish filling up the spool. Don't overfill the spool, you want approx 1/8 inch of overhang on the spool when it's filled. Hope this made sense, and was of some help anyways.

Lizards
Old 08-23-07, 09:34 AM   #5
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Also, When finished spooling up like lizards said, take your line and tie it to the first guide, then reel your spool really tight, and leave it over night or even a few days like that. This way, when your fishing, it wont twist off, making a big mess.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 09:38 AM   #6
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

I went fishing last night with the braid on. Couple things I noticed:
1> I can cast a lot further, easier, with less weight with the braid than I could with the monofilament.
2> Tying knots with braid is much more difficult than standard line
3> Tying knots with braid in failing light is almost impossible
4> Cutting the left over end after tying a knot with braid is almost impossible as I could not get a clean cut with finger nail clippers. The line would fray when I tried to cut it.
5> Not a single back-lash, or memory problem. This stuff lays out like it has never been wound up before.

I am very pleased with the braid! It is a night and day difference between the mono and the braid. The sensitivity of the braid is unbelievable.

For those who have not yet made the switch to braid-you need to give this a try! I can't believe I was wasting time with mono when this stuff was on the shelf waiting for me the entire time.

Even though I am having problems tying it, I think the solution is to use a swivel and then use a mono leader at all times.

And if it matters-I got skunked last night. I only had one bite and missed him. I was using a Zoom toad. I had cast to the same spot at least 5 times already. On the 6th cast, the toad hits the water, the fish hit it instantly and carried it about 2 feet before releasing it. Since I had just cast, I did not even have time to flip the bail to set the hook. He caught me with my pants down! I did not get another bite the entire time. I was out about 2 hours. Think I am going to give up on that pond PERMANENTLY.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 09:40 AM   #7
JB

tie a palamar knot on braid, and get a cheap pair of scissors to cut braid line with
Old 08-23-07, 12:44 PM   #8
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Yeah fingernail clippers cutting braid is like trying to hack a tree down with a Walleye. Get some cheap School scissors and they will work great.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 04:38 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Here's what I do when I spool up braided, First I get a braid with the same diameter of my mono. The Tie a heavy sinker, 1+ oz on the mono. Cast out as far as you can. Then cast out as far as you can again, and once more for a total of three times. so esentially [sp?] you have your longest cast times three ( to account for line breakage, cutting, retying, etc. That's when I cut my mono and tie on my braid. I use powerpro or BPS excel braid, I actually like the BPS one better because it floats more and I fish a lot of topwaters. Then, when I'm fishing and I get down to my mono, which is being used as backing, I know its time to respool the braid. This also saves a lot of money on braid. And you really never have to change the mono backing either because you should really never use it. I also use this technique when spooling with mono too. especially if you change your mono often, it'll save you tons of money.
Old 08-23-07, 04:40 PM   #10
bassfisher02

Or your trusty fishing knife...
Old 08-23-07, 06:13 PM   #11
JB

I carry side cutters and also needlenose pliers with a cutting edge, but the scissors work best. I took a pair of L shaped surgical scissors out of a first aid kit/box to cut my braid, it only takes about 4x2 inches of space in the ol tacklebox.
Old 08-24-07, 03:32 AM   #12
islandbass

Rapala's scissors for braid for about $3 is a good investment for braid use. You're right about nail clippers! Be careful when trying to pull snags free. Don't use a bare hand with excessive force. The braid can slice through skin with the enough force like a hot knife through butter.

Have you notice an increase in the information transmitted through the line vs. mono? It is also another benefit of braid. Its near zero stretch helps to transfer data to your hands.
Old 08-28-07, 12:57 AM   #13
ESipes_89
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via MSN to ESipes_89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post
Even though I am having problems tying it, I think the solution is to use a swivel and then use a mono leader at all times.

And if it matters-I got skunked last night. I only had one bite and missed him. I was using a Zoom toad. I had cast to the same spot at least 5 times already. On the 6th cast, the toad hits the water, the fish hit it instantly and carried it about 2 feet before releasing it. Since I had just cast, I did not even have time to flip the bail to set the hook. He caught me with my pants down! I did not get another bite the entire time. I was out about 2 hours. Think I am going to give up on that pond PERMANENTLY.
First off, never give up on a pond. Your problem is that your fishing primarily topwater in the evenings I'll bet. This is the hottest part of the year so you need to get up before 5am and be there before sunrise. I have never had much topwater action in the evening during august.

The hit you got was probably a larger bass (2lbs.+). The reason I say this is because larger bass are very territorial and will instantly attack anything that comes into it's territory. You will rarely catch 'em on any type of toad or frog. You will need something with dangling treble hooks.

That is also why I'm saying not to give up on the pond. There's big bass in there just waiting for you to catch 'em.

If you can't go in the morning then you need to always tie on a mono leader, unless your fishing topwater around a lot of weeds and cover. Unlike mono, braid is very visible underwater and will deter some fish to strike, especially the larger more expirienced ones. I would suggest using a weightless T-rigged Tiki Stik or a Carolina Rigged worm or lizard. This has produced more evening fish for me than anything else. Just cast, let it sink, and twitch it along the bottom.

If your not very patient (like me), you might want to try a small grub with a jig head or a larger grub that's T-rigged on a 2/0-4/0 sized hook. Just cast and reel.

Hope this helps,
-Eric
Old 08-28-07, 06:42 PM   #14
bassfisher02

Please see my "Line Visibility. Is It Really An Isuue" thread regarding what Esipes89 has said about braid being so visible under water...

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.