Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-03-09, 08:39 PM   #51
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

This is exactly why I decided to join this site. I am one of the under 25's that Zook mentioned. I am in college and don't have a pot to pee in most of the time, but i make it through and still feed the monkey every now and then. This being said, for me fishing, and bass fishing in general is not just a hobby for me, its an obsession. From the time I was two years old all I wanted to do is fish. I can understand using the best equipment one can afford. If i had the money I would be rollin in the best money can buy, not for the name on the rod, but for the increased "feel" and the reduced weight or benefits for other tackle besides rods. Unfortunatly, I have to deal with spending less than 200 on every combo that i fish, although I have saved up and got a few nicer rods an reels. I guess the point being I will have to bide my time and wait till I can afford the nice stuff, in the mean time, thanks for lookin out for the little guys Zook, WTL, Bama, JB, Jim80 and others we appriciate the advice and the help.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 10:07 PM   #52
66KingFisher
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I can appreciate what Zooker was gettin at......I'm not one of the young anglers he mentioned, but rather an older guy that lives on a disablity income, suplimented by my airbrushing hobby....so spending even $20 bucks on tackle at Walmart every month or two is a big deal for someone like me.....Owning something like a Kistler rod with an equivalent high end reel is just a pipe dream and will never happen unless I win it in a contest or Publishers clearing house finally coughs up that big check for the old lady.....lol. It sux but thats the reality of it, so yeah....Zooks right about getting tired of hearing about needing the high end stuff all the time......Love all the advice though.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:56 PM   #53
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is also why i joined this site in particuar. i checked some others and saw the same thing. i want to learn how to catch bass, not tackle. i know how to catch tackle. but i am learning more here on how to fish than i ever have. not always good on remembering it all. but i am trying. and the folks here really have helped me out. heck they got my wife learning how to fish. most of the time she out catches me, not a joke either, hahahaha.
Old 05-05-09, 04:00 PM   #54
Bipolarattorney
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
this is also why i joined this site in particuar. i checked some others and saw the same thing. i want to learn how to catch bass, not tackle. i know how to catch tackle. but i am learning more here on how to fish than i ever have. not always good on remembering it all. but i am trying. and the folks here really have helped me out. heck they got my wife learning how to fish. most of the time she out catches me, not a joke either, hahahaha.
What is it that they say - "Most tackle is designed to catch fishermen, not fish?" My buddy once told a story about how he caught a bass on a stick, yarn and paperclip. Not saying you shouldn't invest in some decent equipment, but you don't need to overdo it either. I had been using the same zebco combo I received as a Christmas present when I was in elementary school from "that uncle you never see all year" until about five years ago.
Bipolarattorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 04:29 PM   #55
JB

I've never been or read another fishing site, this one fits me just fine, I was never really into the scene where a top dollar rod and reel was needed , but always tried to get something I could afford throughout the years. Many new members like BassinID are a breath of fresh air to the site IMO
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-09, 05:02 PM   #56
BassinID

Thanks JB, I appreciate the props.
Old 05-05-09, 05:03 PM   #57
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I've never been or read another fishing site, this one fits me just fine, I was never really into the scene where a top dollar rod and reel was needed , but always tried to get something I could afford throughout the years. Many new members like BassinID are a breath of fresh air to the site IMO

I'll second that and thanks for the kind words id .

Jim
Old 05-05-09, 05:10 PM   #58
BassinID

No problem jim, you guys have helped me a lot in the last month or two.
Old 05-05-09, 05:25 PM   #59
bamabassman

id, that pictire you use as an avatar is STILL the funniest thing i have ever seen,lol. you have got to be a brave man to keep it, hahahahahaha. or is it to tease the little lady for when the monkey attacks. like this, her; replace that picture. you; no,no,no. YOU DID THIS TO ME. now don't say a word about the money i spend on fishing. hahahahahahahahahaha kidding bud.
Old 05-05-09, 07:59 PM   #60
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Zook's right.

Personally, I like to buy the best tackle I can afford, but like I've said before I buy ONE per year and am probably not getting another for the get together since my truck is costing more than we had thought originally. But that's ok, I'll wait till next year. I could buy a couple cheaper combo's but I personally think better gear makes up for the fact that I'm not that great of a fisherman. I've used sticks from Ugly Stick to Loomis, and yeah there are great advantages to a high end rods, and that's why I only get one a year.

BB
Old 05-05-09, 09:28 PM   #61
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
id, that pictire you use as an avatar is STILL the funniest thing i have ever seen,lol. you have got to be a brave man to keep it, hahahahahaha. or is it to tease the little lady for when the monkey attacks. like this, her; replace that picture. you; no,no,no. YOU DID THIS TO ME. now don't say a word about the money i spend on fishing. hahahahahahahahahaha kidding bud.
He may be onto someshing.... She loves to fish, but doesn't understand my slavery to the bait monkey.

BB, you're right, but to compare say a St. Croix mojo bass with a Ugly Stick is a fallacy my friend. A rod like the mojo has some serious bassers in mind, not to mention a large pool of technology built in, it is just a little less sensitive, a little heavier, and not made of quite as premium of components as 300 dollar rods. Now a look at an ugly stick, they are HEAVY!!!, bulky, havn't changed in 10+ years, and lack as much sensitivity as any rod I have ever held.
the point being, you don't have to go with a 300 dollar rod for most of the top qualities, but you need to be careful with your decisions and do your research before buying a lower price rod. And as always take care of your equipment and it won't let you down.... Unless you fish an ugly stick....(humm sensing some distain??)
Old 05-05-09, 09:35 PM   #62
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Now Ugly Sticks have their place. I use mine for catfishing, when I'm not using the ultralite.

BB
Old 05-05-09, 09:38 PM   #63
BassinID

Well now, cats are a different story, I like ugly sticks then, the eva grips are nice and don't rot when you get bait in them (chicken liver and cutbait). The slow action is a plus as well. Just not a bassin rod by any means. Not to mention after all this time they still haven't switched to guides that braid won't cut!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.