Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-11-11, 12:10 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Trout!

Any fish trout here? We're gonna go out this weekend and try to get some. Any tips out pointer ya wanna give would be appreciated. I don't even know how to set the hook on the little buggers. Just light pull or snap of the wrist or what?

I found nice hole where they were really stacked up last weekend bass fishing. We're gonna try floating salmon eggs to 'em. And if that don't work just good ol worms on a split shot. Might try tossing some little jigs and spinners at em if all else fails.
Old 06-11-11, 01:41 AM   #2
keithdog

The only trout fishing I do is on Lake Michigan, and were talking steelhead trout and brown trout which is not what your wanting to do. But I know a guy who often fishes for small trout in streams prefers to simply use a small hook balled up with red worms and a small split shot and allowed to drift into the currant. Sometimes he will use a slip bobber and let the bait drift down towards a log pile and then hold the offering steady just at the edge of the logs. He takes quite a few this way. He uses a very long rod of about 8 1/2 foot for doing this. Once his bait is taken he basically just starts reeling in with just a small tug of a hook set. The small wire hooks he uses set fairly easily. The rod is fairly lightweight and very flexable. Wish I had more info for you but he moved a couple years back and we lost touch.
Old 06-11-11, 02:11 AM   #3
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sammy,

This is one where the search feature will work. There have been many discussions about powerbait, kastmasters, and other trout baits.

A trout will often swallow the hook on anything that floats. If you are not releasing them, then go barbless.
If your bait is one you plan to keep moving, then set the hook like you would on a bluegill. If you are using the worm or eggs, they will usually hook themselves.
Old 06-11-11, 02:50 AM   #4
islandbass

You might not know this, but some of your bass lures will catch trout, especially the drop shot. Setting the hook on trout is no different than you do with bass, excluding swinging for the fences. Cassidy also put it much better. Many rapala lures used in bass fishing, like cranks and floating and jointed minnows can also nail you some trout.

Just remember that salmon eggs do NOT float, but they are one heck of an effective bait. Like bass, you are going to have to figure out what they want at the time you're targetting them.

Live worms and power bait are two "baits" you ought to highly consider. Inline spinners and small spoons are also nice to have on hand.

Cassidy is also dead on with them swallowing it. Make sure you have a hook remover or a pair of long-nose pliers.

I'll also add that IMHO, trout are pretty good fighters. I'd put them up there with smallies in terms of how feisty they are. A suitable rod will allow you to best experience this.
Old 06-11-11, 08:27 AM   #5
walkeraviator

If you live up north and are fishing for trout, go get a beginner fly rod set for about 50 bucks and learn how to fly fish. I got a fly rod last year and it is a blast.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 08:59 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Fishing for trout varies so much with what region you're fishing, what species you're fishing for, and the type of body of water you're fishing.

I've been fishing for Steelhead a few times, and for some rainbows in a small pond/lake here in town.

The steelhead, we were fishing spawn sacks on long, whippy spinning rods (8'6" probably). Probably what you'd think of as a Float-N-Fly rod in bass fishing. We also fished flies under a "strike indicator" (I still say it's a bobber, lol). This was on fly tackle. Fishing on a fly rod with 4lb tippet catching 3-10lb steelies is an absolute blast. I love bass fishing, but I'd take that fight over a bass any day.

In the small lake in town (maybe 6-8 acres), they stock rainbows each year. We usually have good success casting a Kastmaster on just an all purpose bass spinning rod.

BB
Old 06-11-11, 01:16 PM   #7
Bassboss

Thanks for the help guys! That thing about floating by the logs sounds killer. I was at wally world the other day and say some one those kastmasters, I'll have to give 'em shop!
Old 06-12-11, 02:32 AM   #8
cassidyta

I think that IB and BB are dead on. Don't give up on your bass baits. Also, learn what trout are in your area to include species and size. Realize that trout are more line shy than bass and as such you may need to downsize.

Now, if you do have big trout, go ahead and tie on a senko or ika and give it a long cast.

This trout that I posted before hit an IKA and ran like crazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IKA Trout.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	6851
Old 06-12-11, 11:18 AM   #9
islandbass

Nice catch, Cassidy! Yeah, I've observed that trout, especially larger ones, really don't have problems taking on what we designate as "bass" lures.

I caught this one while field testing my homemade crankbait and fishing for bass. I nearly had a heart attack because the bait got slammed very hard, sight unseen. In addition, how it was fighting suggested that it wasn't a bass. Luckily, the guy next to me had a net.

Old 06-12-11, 12:28 PM   #10
cassidyta

Nice surprise catch IB

Oh Sammy, IB brings up an important thing. I wouldn't trout fish without a net. Their teeth have more of a point than a bass. Additionally, they have a slime on their boades that makes them harder to grip.
Old 06-12-11, 12:35 PM   #11
Bassboss

Yeah thanks guys, I remember them pics yall posted from a while back. Them things are huge, lol!

I've already experienced fishing them with out a net, it sucks. lol I get the close to grab them and they flop around on throw the hook. If I had a net at the time I'd have caught a good deal more. Probably gonna go out today, the weather're real nice so I see no reason not to!

I'm going after rainbows btw. I hear their's some nice browns in there too.

Here's what a buddy of mine pulled out friday.
Old 06-12-11, 12:43 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Bigger trout, especially rainbows and especially in lakes, will hit some of our bass lures. especially crankbaits.

I've even seen a rainbow caught on a jig. If I'm not mistaken, it was one of Kory's jigs actually.

BB
Old 06-12-11, 10:24 PM   #13
Bassboss

Well guys me and my dad went trout fishing, we didn't catch any!

But, we get some smallies! I caught 5 (and one pike) and my dad caught 1. Both on number 4 panther martin spinners.

I'll post pics, and story later.
Old 06-13-11, 10:16 PM   #14
Bassboss

Buddy of mine went out today and showed me couple spots we fished for 10, 15 minuets each spot, he caught a little 6" brook trout, and I caught a nicer 12, 13 inch brookie.

using just night crawler, and a split shot.

Man them are perdy fish too!
Old 06-14-11, 06:51 PM   #15
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I trout fish in a lake in MO. I always split shot whole kernel corn. Cheap bait and more effective then anything else I have tried.
MO_CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-11, 08:17 PM   #16
cassidyta

I agree that corn is effective, but check your local regs. I know a lot of places where it is not allowed.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.