Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-11, 09:40 PM   #1
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Land fishing

Hey yall, new guy here. I have just started getting serious about bass fishing. The thing is mostly everything I read ( tips ) are about fishing from a boat and not land. What are some tips for ppl fishing from land? typically like knowing depths, structure etc. Also could use some summer tips for land fishing. Could use tips on times, hook to bait size ratio. Im not totally new and as clueless as I may sound, but just want to know simple things I have always overlooked, like hook sizes, colors, time of day for certain lures and locations at certain times to maybe up my game and fish count. I have caught some nice fish lately 7 lbs in spring and 3 lb yesterday that looked a lot bigger unless scales were wrong lol. I have had most success using plastic worms, mainly bc Im most comfortable with them and easier/safer for me. Though I have most lures in my tackle box. Dont know depths for plugs etc. Thanks in advance
VolForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-11, 09:41 PM   #2
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolForLife View Post
Hey yall, new guy here. I have just started getting serious about bass fishing. The thing is mostly everything I read ( tips ) are about fishing from a boat and not land. What are some tips for ppl fishing from land? typically like knowing depths, structure etc. Also could use some summer tips for land fishing. Could use tips on times, hook to bait size ratio. Im not totally new and as clueless as I may sound, but just want to know simple things I have always overlooked, like hook sizes, colors, time of day for certain lures and locations at certain times to maybe up my game and fish count. I have caught some nice fish lately 7 lbs in spring and 3 lb yesterday that looked a lot bigger unless scales were wrong lol. I have had most success using plastic worms, mainly bc Im most comfortable with them and easier/safer for me. Though I have most lures in my tackle box. Dont know depths for plugs etc. Thanks in advance
btw mostly fish ponds as I am on land lol Lake is too much to cover
Old 06-22-11, 09:56 PM   #3
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolForLife View Post
btw mostly fish ponds as I am on land lol Lake is too much to cover
Not on computer so couldn't find edit button, sorry to keep posting quotes. FWIW I use a 6'6 Berkley lightning rod. It says medium spinning * lure 1/8 - 3/4. How do you know if its fast action or what? I have a Mitchell 308xe open face reel.
Old 06-22-11, 11:01 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, FIRST thing oyu gotta do is get rid of the VOL thingy. go with the TIDE buddy. BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! KIDDING MAN. WELCOME TO THE BEST SITE ON THE WEB!!

now, is the spinning set up the only rod n reel oyu have? and what type of baits are oyu throwing. oyu don't give us any insight into whether oyu are trhowing a spinner, plastic or crank. the more SPECIFIC info oyu can give us, the better we can help you.

the worms are ALWAYS a good bait to use on and in ponds. depending on how long the worm is, makes for the type of hook to use. if it is an 8-10 inch worm, i use a 5 ougt hook. bigger the bait, bigger the hook see? i grew up fishing ponds, so i have always had great luck with a 8-10-12 inch worm. one of my favorites is the MANN'S purple jelly worm. lizzards and brush hawgs are great too. if you want to.....try dead sticking a senko or shaky head out as far in the middle of the pond as possible.

a spinnerbait is also great in a pond. i always liked a 3/8 oz white or black spinner. cast alongside the dam area or water leading towards the dam.

one thing that never seems to fail me is the ROOSTER TAIL in-line spinner. this is a spiner oyu can cast into shallow areas and catch lots of little bass yes they will be small, but sometimes oyu can get some up to 3#'s. 3/8 oz rooster tail is good. but you can also cast a 1/8 oz with a spinning reel.

now the way to tell if your rod is fast action without it being printed on the rod. (in my opion) is to take it and bend it with oyur hand while holding the handle. the easier it bends the faster the action. check out a few of the heavy rods. most lighting rods have the action printed on them. as do most other rods. the abu garcia rods have it printed ont eh rod itself as to the action. good rods i think, i have a couple myself as well as the liughtening rods. great rods for the money i think.

don't worry abotu your posting so much. this is how you get ansers my friend. never a dumb question, only dumb answers ok?

relax and have fun pal.
Old 06-22-11, 11:30 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome aboard VFL! Always good to see new folks joining in with us here. One thing I always recommend shore bound anglers is to get either knee high water proof boots or a pair of waders. I prefer the boots. It allows you greater freedom around shore enabling you to walk into the water to cast around obstructions, cast ahead of you along shore, or simply get a little further out. As for where to fish, take a look around you. What you see above the water often continues into the water. If your fishing a very flat landscape, chances are it is going to be fairly flat and shallow in the water. If your standing at the shoreline and have a fairly steep hillside behind you, chances are the water your fishing is going to drop off to deeper water as well. Remember, points when fishing from shore too. That point also continues into the water, often with deeper water on either side. Now with rods, I like a shorter rod for shore fishing simply because it is easier to use around the low hanging tree branches and brush so often growing around a shoreline. I usually fish a 6 1/2' casting rod, medium to medium heavy power and a fast action. I have a 6'0" rod I use from time to time when I know I'm not going to have much room to cast. The rod you have will work just fine for many applications. Bama covered many that will work well for you. It would also be a decent topwater rod for small to medium size topwater baits. The Heddon Baby Torpedo would be a great topwater for you to try, especially in a black color. Soft plastics like lizards, beavers, worms all work well from shore. Like Bama said, adjust hook size to the bait. I like EWG hooks for most of my platics. A 3/0 hook size works well for a 4-5 in bait, while I use a 4/0 for a 5-7 inch bait. Anything larger than that I will go with a 5/0 hook size. Weightless works well for soft plastics around shore. I have found though that a 1/8 oz. bullet weight and a 6 inch black worm texas rigged is killer from shore. I'm not sure what size line you use, but I always felt that 14 pound mono was a good all purpose line size for shore fishing. Your bound to be casting around things like weeds, logs, piers, and so forth, so you want a line that is going to be strong enough to handle most situations but light enough for smaller lures. Braid is a good line but if your shorebound you should also realize that if you do get snagged on ANYTHING too far from shore to get to, braid is going to be very hard to break off. You'll end up having to cut it off, and braid aint cheep. I'd rather have mono that I know I can probably break off if I need to.
Old 06-23-11, 01:29 AM   #6
VolForLife
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks yall. And Bama, it says FOR LIFE ; ) Also as stated I fish with a lot of worms. Prob 97% of the time. I like to Texas rig and use bullet sinker and slow hop across bottom. Usually watermelon colors. Never caught any fish in my whole life except on green worms, weird, huh? I ve got browns, pink, red, but dont use bc they never seem to produce. The worms I use are 5-7" I use a 3/0 worm hook. Maybe too small? Guess that explains all those bites and no hook set lol I went and got some flukes and some other plastic minnows. Thats what I got my fish on yesterday ( crazy eye minnow ). The pond/s Im fishing now are public park. Was wondering if bass were in it til I pulled 1 out. 1 is big the other is small with a point. The ponds are only seperated by a walking path and kinda joined by a water basen? Dark water cant see limbs, rocks, drop offs, grass beds etc. Thats why I asked about structure and depth. Yea I have other rods, they are 2 piece cheapos though- Shakespeare Mantis combo. Thats why I upgraded to what I got, thought my previous set up was costing me to lose the fish./ Too much flex, not enough backbone, not sensitive enough etc. And the reel really sucked, but I still bring both rods. Actually caught my fish on it. Was disappointed didnt catch on the new lol. I have been looking at the videos posted on the homepage, good stuff. I just like to have an idea, never had a father figure around to teach me growing up. Most of what I know is from books and trial and error. Now Ive got my own kids to teach what little I know. I do know spring time has been better for me lol No summer times/lures tips?
Old 06-23-11, 06:57 AM   #7
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Summer is not a good time to be shorebound. IN teh summer, these fish go deep, which usually means out of reach. So this is what I do... I get there at daybreak and throw topwater. Is that doesnt pan out, I try to find the shoreline nearest the deepest water on the lake and start throwing a weightless senko. Remember that as the day gets warmer, the fish slow down. So if you arent gettin bit... slow down.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-11, 07:31 PM   #8
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My advice for shore fishing is as follows, in no particular order:

1) Go as often as you can

2) Have the proper mental attitude. For example, don't worry about that nice-looking cover beyond your casting range and concentrate on what you CAN reach

3) If there is visible cover or structure, fish it thoroughly

4) Move around and cover a lot of water until you learn what spots are productive and what aren't. You may find that a given spot produces well and see no evidence of why it's good.

5) Often, shore fishing is more productive when casting parallel to or at an angle to the shore. But check those straight-out spots just to be sure.

6) Try to be there at the most productive times, such as mornings, evenings and overcast days.

7) Don't rule out any lures. Most lures that are effective from boats can be effective from the bank as well.

Good luck. Some of my biggest bass have been taken while fishing from the bank.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.